Sunline Super Natural good enough?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Sunline Super Natural good enough?

Post by GAMEOVER » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:53 am

Hey, long time for me being here but just getting back into the scene. Hopefully some of you remember me.. anyways. I'm fishing Topwater from shore in Michigan (just some Torpedos for now) for our Northern Strain this spring. Do you think Sunline Super Natural in #12 is good enough for my Topwater needs? Its being spooled on an original Daiwa JDM Steez that I still have. Sold my old Megabass Elseil, boy do I miss that rod. Should of never sold it, anyway thanks for the input.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Sunline Super Natural good enough?

Post by bronzefly » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:04 am

Good to see an old name back around!

I can understand missing an older model classic Elseil model, there a few I've let go over the years that I wouldn't mind having back myself :lol: Fortunately, there are some nice new options out there these days that offer excellent performance.

Super Natural is a very good choice for a basic, low cost, readily available mono. A nice jump up in performance (and price) from there is the Shooter Defier Armilo, which I've really enjoyed as an all around line, and I really like it for top water fishing.

http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... 0_285_1143

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GAMEOVER » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:39 pm

Thanks bronzefly, it's all starting to come back to me now. Glad to see an old face. I have a bad feeling in my wallet starting to brew. :D

Will the #12 hold true in strength?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:53 pm

GAMEOVER wrote:Thanks bronzefly, it's all starting to come back to me now. Glad to see an old face. I have a bad feeling in my wallet starting to brew. :D

Will the #12 hold true in strength?
Likewise! Yeah, that bad feeling will turn into nice tackle again soon I'm sure :lol:

Sunline is a "class" line. It breaks at or very close to it's rating. 12# Sunline isn't as thick or as strong as 12# P-Line CXX for example, but P-Line CXX is .37 and 12# Super Natural is .285 - massive difference in diameter. If you're accustomed to using non-class lines, take into consideration the line diameter when selecting the line for you.

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:23 pm

I had a love hate relationship with the super natural. I loved the limp handling and small diameter line.

The problem I had was Phantom breakoffs. I lost a couple trophy sized fish on small swimbaits on the #14. Several times I set the hook to have the line just pop.

I still love the #6 for BFS duty. I just no longer have any confidence in the line over #8. Switched back to trilene and big game for mono.