Alphas AIR + super trickster maiden voyage

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Finesse68
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Alphas AIR + super trickster maiden voyage

Post by Finesse68 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:08 pm

Nice review, been waiting to see one of these. Just picked up the super trickster 6' bait finesse plugging funny from the Tackle Trap, it's awaiting a 5:8 alphas air that'll hopefully be here next week sometime. Glad to see it casts bitsy minnows well, I was curious how this reel would handle them since it's going to be a finesse plug setup.

AllFishedUp
Angler
Angler

Post by AllFishedUp » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:31 am

What rod length do you guys think is best suitable for the alphas air? some of you guys said you have 6' to 6'4" rods? what about 7'?

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:46 am

7' works just fine and can improve your casting distances. I use the shorter ones because I wade rivers with them and can get in some pretty tight situations making it more problematic with a longer rod. If I were in open areas I'd probably bump up to a 7.

Jrob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jrob » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:47 am

AllFishedUp wrote:What rod length do you guys think is best suitable for the alphas air? some of you guys said you have 6' to 6'4" rods? what about 7'?
I'm sure a tip heavy rod may not balance as well with a super light reel. That said I'm sure any rod you would want to use this reel with will be fine. Not many long BFS style rods available anyway. Awesome reel BTW! Mine is paired with a 63ML "bait finesse basic" Jackson Super Trickster. :D

AllFishedUp
Angler
Angler

Post by AllFishedUp » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:41 pm

Jrob wrote:
AllFishedUp wrote:What rod length do you guys think is best suitable for the alphas air? some of you guys said you have 6' to 6'4" rods? what about 7'?
I'm sure a tip heavy rod may not balance as well with a super light reel. That said I'm sure any rod you would want to use this reel with will be fine. Not many long BFS style rods available anyway. Awesome reel BTW! Mine is paired with a 63ML "bait finesse basic" Jackson Super Trickster. :D
Im doing research, trying not to find a heavy tipped rod with length that is ML.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:48 am

The super trickster is very light in the tip even by itself, I'm not sure how the longer ones feel but I know they have a couple ML powered rods. I swapped the alphas onto my st Croix legend inshore (6'6" extra light, 3.15oz) and being that the reel is close to 6oz with line on it, it balances out nicely versus the little bit lighter ss air that now sits on the Jackson.

I just take my reel into tackle shops and put it on different rods to get an idea of what its like. Maybe a Megabass rod would fit the bill depending on what you're looking to spend? I've also handled the tatula 6'10" medium xf (TAT6101MXB) which is a cheaper version of the steez megatop setup. For the cost, that rod felt good for its length and may be a good option if you don't mind the action of the solid tip.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:40 am

Update on drag: Nice and smooth with no shutter at light line levels.

On st croix inshore 6'6" extra light with 6lb p-line caught on a stike king bitsy minnow. Who says big fish dont eat little lures!!!

22" 5lb 4oz

Finesse68
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Finesse68 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:25 am

That must have been an awesome fight, nice catch!! Finally got to try mine out today on the trickster. I was in awe at how easily it would fling a bitsy minnow. Definitely handles light lures noticeably better than the px68. The pixy will throw 1/16 crappie jigs, but it's more temperamental compared to the alphas.

abbor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by abbor » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:15 am

Thanks for the review. Based on what you wrote I've just ordered an Alpha Air 5.8R from JP Angler and Air BFS bearings from Hedgehog. I will most probably combine the reel with a Megabass Pagani Air Bamboo F0-61PB (which I already have). Will use it for trout fishing using 2-4g spinners.

I've been considering buying an Air model the last two years, but 8.0 gear ratio is too much for my fishing and I'm not a big fan of the T3 platform, even if I have a T3 SV which is casting very well. The problem of T3 is the size and when the TWS lid is open the reel from the front is reminding me of a pike (and I hate pikes :evil:)

KDogg14
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by KDogg14 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:22 am

Out of curiosity how do you think the Alphas air compares to the JDM Alphas SV105?

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:15 am

KDogg14 wrote:Out of curiosity how do you think the Alphas air compares to the JDM Alphas SV105?
Identical save for the spool and drag star. If you want to cast specifically itty bitty lures go with the air. But down to an 1/8oz the sv does fine and you have more versatility.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:36 pm

ss30378 wrote:Update on drag: Nice and smooth with no shutter at light line levels.

On st croix inshore 6'6" extra light with 6lb p-line caught on a stike king bitsy minnow. Who says big fish dont eat little lures!!!

22" 5lb 4oz
What a pig!
I have a legend elite on the way.
I am going to upgrade to air bfs bearings.
Also looking to upgrade the drag star to something a little smaller. I feel that it is a little oversized, and gets in the way of the spool tension knob.
Does anyone know if a steez drag star will fit?
I tried a Red one from a Pixy type r with no luck.

Finesse68
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Finesse68 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:54 pm

Haven't had to mess with the CC much, it indicates to just take out the side to side play in the manual and it works great like that. I'm admittedly a Daiwa newbie, so I'd have to email japan tackle or hedgehog studio about the star drag. So far I love the air, just hate taking out spool pins to clean bearings. :lol: Anyone pre-order a 16 bfs xg yet?

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:20 pm

Finesse68 wrote:Haven't had to mess with the CC much, it indicates to just take out the side to side play in the manual and it works great like that. I'm admittedly a Daiwa newbie, so I'd have to email japan tackle or hedgehog studio about the star drag. So far I love the air, just hate taking out spool pins to clean bearings. :lol: Anyone pre-order a 16 bfs xg yet?
I did. Its in the mail. Probably be at my door by Tuesday. Depends on customs.

Finesse68
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Finesse68 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:21 pm

Oh man, definitely let me know how that performs when you get it. Really piqued my interest with the FTB system and nothing on the spool. Seems like it'll be a beast for sure.