New Megabass weight shift system

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Post Reply
bigturtle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 255
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:23 am

New Megabass weight shift system

Post by bigturtle » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:39 am

http://www.megabass.co.jp/site/engineer ... g-vol-119/

A new weight transfer system to supposedly allow for quicker lure orientation adjustment after a cast and 20% increase in distance. sliding (metal?) cylinder with 88 tiny bearings on a plastic shaft.

What you guys think? Personally I dont see why they cant just have a straight chamber with large ball bearings to achieve the same effect.

User avatar
GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 493
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:07 pm
Location: NorCal

Re: New Megabass weight shift system

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:08 pm

I have a hard time believing added 20% range, I can tell you that. It should amount to a unique one knocker if nothing else.

User avatar
MondayMonkey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1205
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:14 am
Location: Oregon

Re: New Megabass weight shift system

Post by MondayMonkey » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:15 am

GOOD YEAR 71 wrote:I have a hard time believing added 20% range, I can tell you that. It should amount to a unique one knocker if nothing else.
I'd give it 20% over a lure without the ability to shift weight to the back for a cast. But 20% over their traditional weight shifting system I don't see how that's possible if the weight is the same and in the same spot for the cast. Orientation after the cast seems to be the best benefit to this system.

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2079
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 2:23 pm
Location: Hopkins, Minnesota

Re: New Megabass weight shift system

Post by Pen3 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:43 am

MondayMonkey wrote:
GOOD YEAR 71 wrote:I have a hard time believing added 20% range, I can tell you that. It should amount to a unique one knocker if nothing else.
I'd give it 20% over a lure without the ability to shift weight to the back for a cast. But 20% over their traditional weight shifting system I don't see how that's possible if the weight is the same and in the same spot for the cast. Orientation after the cast seems to be the best benefit to this system.
Yeah i am leaning towards them comparing it to a system with no transfer weight at all.

User avatar
Baik
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:13 pm

Re: New Megabass weight shift system

Post by Baik » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:39 am

I bought a couple of there lures with the lbo system in there marinegang line for surfcasting last year. The idea is great but I personally was not impressed. I've thrown x raps, SP minnows, shoreline shiners, duo tide minnows etc etc... And they cast great with little effort. You have to cast these plugs a certain way in order for that lbo system to work correctly and when it does... CLACK! It sounds like you blew the back of the plug open. 20% further? I don't think so... But they do cast nicely when you find that sweet spot. Maybe the system will work better in the smaller baits. Just my two cents...

Matt

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2079
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 2:23 pm
Location: Hopkins, Minnesota

Re: New Megabass weight shift system

Post by Pen3 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:45 am

Baik wrote:I bought a couple of there lures with the lbo system in there marinegang line for surfcasting last year. The idea is great but I personally was not impressed. I've thrown x raps, SP minnows, shoreline shiners, duo tide minnows etc etc... And they cast great with little effort. You have to cast these plugs a certain way in order for that lbo system to work correctly and when it does... CLACK! It sounds like you blew the back of the plug open. 20% further? I don't think so... But they do cast nicely when you find that sweet spot. Maybe the system will work better in the smaller baits. Just my two cents...

Matt
Don't care much about the distance since my family has like 5 boats, but how does it perform in the water?

User avatar
MondayMonkey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1205
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:14 am
Location: Oregon

Re: New Megabass weight shift system

Post by MondayMonkey » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:15 am

Baik wrote:I bought a couple of there lures with the lbo system in there marinegang line for surfcasting last year. The idea is great but I personally was not impressed. I've thrown x raps, SP minnows, shoreline shiners, duo tide minnows etc etc... And they cast great with little effort. You have to cast these plugs a certain way in order for that lbo system to work correctly and when it does... CLACK! It sounds like you blew the back of the plug open. 20% further? I don't think so... But they do cast nicely when you find that sweet spot. Maybe the system will work better in the smaller baits. Just my two cents...

Matt

He doesn't seem to be doing any special cast in the video. Why would it make a loud clacking noise? It seems like from a resting position at the start of the cast the weight would already be at the back and from that point on the swing and force of the cast would keep the weight there? That's my interpretation of the way it's used am I way off base? Are you supposed to use it like some kind of sling shot where the weight doesn't hit the back until you release the cast giving it a boost? I'm basically looking at them to really be about having a quicker and smoother transition into the retrieve position over the old method style.

User avatar
Baik
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:13 pm

Re: New Megabass weight shift system

Post by Baik » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:17 pm

The weight has a magnet on it which keeps it in the ideal retrieving position, so when you cast it, the weight dislodges from the magnet and shoots towards the rear of the bait giving off that clack!!! Now, when the bait hits the water the wait immediately slides, in this case rolls, towards the front of the bait thanks to the bb's and the magnet hold it there until you cast it again.

If you were just to hold one of these baits and try slide the weight back forth it doesn't move... It's takes a little effort to get that thing to move and will immediately slide forward if you're not quick. Do the bb's make a difference? Yes. Abosulety. If you jus slightly tip the nose down the weight immeditaley sildes forward. I'm not sure if there doing the same with the magnet or not on the smaller baits.
As far as casting... I feel the magnet is too strong and it may jus be the way I run a longer leader to a swivel. I also use casting gear in the surf and these marinegang with the lbo were designed for seabass in Japan mostly on spinnig gear.

20% faster to obtain the "ideal" retrieve speed.yes. hope this helps and here's a link the baits I'm referring to. I kno I've found more info This before... There's a video somewhere too I'll post it if I can remember where it is.

http://jpangler.com/index.php/salt-wate ... g-140.html

Matt

Post Reply