Upgrade Mgx or buy JDM BFS?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
saoulons
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Upgrade Mgx or buy JDM BFS?

Post by saoulons » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:58 pm

The brake on the XG BFS sounds like it will be new and the reel isn't out yet, so really no way to compare.

And yes, the more you read, the more you'll confuse yourself, so have to pick something, roll with it and develop your own opinion / experience over time through trial and error. And there will be new models every year, so there is always a chance that what you buy today will get outshone by something else next year. But who cares, get something that suits you best today and enjoy it! Really can't go wrong with the top end models we've been talking about on this thread...

If I were in your situation, I'd get the Aldebaran XG BFS 2016. If you can't wait, get the 2015. And invest the time experimenting with it. Play with the brake settings for your bait size / technique; eventually, maybe upgrade the bearings if you feel that you need a little extra zing.

In the meantime, if you are itching to tinker, upgrade the bearings on your MGX, clean it up good, grease it / oil it and generally learn how to take care and tweak your equipment. Doing this is not expensive and it is very soothing. And there are lots of youtube videos out there to learn "how to".

Here is a link to another good read from someone more grounded / less "enthusiast" (and pretty cynical).

http://www.bassresource.com/fishing/sup ... aster.html

Dustys60
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dustys60 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:13 am

hungry_cow wrote:
Dustys60 wrote:I guess my question is will the upgraded mgx be as good as the jdm bfs reels?
The answer to me is no. A Revo MGX was my first high end baitcast reel and I upgraded the bearings. I later got a PX-Type R and promptly got rid of the Revo MGX as it felt like a cheap plastic kids toy next to the PX-Type R. It would likely cast and perform just as good as anything with an upgraded spool if that is all you are concerned about. However it doesn't have nearly the refinement of a top quality JDM reel. The Px Type R is just allot more solid, smoother, tighter tolerances, no wiggle anywhere. All the areas of refinement where the Revo MGX is good but slightly lacking the PX Type R is perfection.
I took your advice and found a nib px type r. Fed ex just dropped it off. That is a nice little reel. I will get it spooled and try it out Monday. I got it for $275 to my door so I could not pass it up.

Finesse68
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Finesse68 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:36 pm

Good choice, you'll enjoy the px type r. Excellent little finesse reel. As for the spanner wrench for the aldebaran bfs xg, it's for the knob where the cast control is usually located. Dustys60, the 16 aldebaran bfs xg has magnetic braking only here's the link I found on here somewhere hope the link works haha.

Finesse68
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Finesse68 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:41 pm

https://youtu.be/LGDcF44LKGw
Sorry I messed up the link, wasn't sure how to post them. Anyways, skip to about 6 minutes and it shows the braking system. Looks excellent for BFS since it removes a little more weight from the spool.

saoulons
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by saoulons » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:03 pm

Finesse68 wrote:Good choice, you'll enjoy the px type r. Excellent little finesse reel. As for the spanner wrench for the aldebaran bfs xg, it's for the knob where the cast control is usually located. Dustys60, the 16 aldebaran bfs xg has magnetic braking only here's the link I found on here somewhere hope the link works haha.
Finesse68 - I understand that the wrench is for that knob. But do you know what the knob does (it's not the spool tension as it is on the other side)? Thanks!

rp346
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rp346 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:40 am

saoulons wrote:
Finesse68 wrote:Good choice, you'll enjoy the px type r. Excellent little finesse reel. As for the spanner wrench for the aldebaran bfs xg, it's for the knob where the cast control is usually located. Dustys60, the 16 aldebaran bfs xg has magnetic braking only here's the link I found on here somewhere hope the link works haha.
Finesse68 - I understand that the wrench is for that knob. But do you know what the knob does (it's not the spool tension as it is on the other side)? Thanks!
The knob allows you access to the spool bearing.....

Mothercanucker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mothercanucker » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:56 am

JDM imo. Alot of good pointers and content contributed in this thread.

Dustys60
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dustys60 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:46 am

I tried the new px r today and I am very impressed. I just threw some cheap 12 lb mono on it and was pitching a 1\8 oz with ease. I can't wait to get it on the water and really try it out.