Best rod to throw monster cranks?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
saoulons
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Best rod to throw monster cranks?

Post by saoulons » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:36 pm

Looking for a rod to throw the big cranks - 10XD, LC SKT MAG, others. These cranks go up to 2 oz and 25' in diving depth.

Any thoughts as to best rods to handle these? I'm not a big fan of glass but like mix of glass and graphite. Looking for something that can be thrown all day without too much fatigue.

Currently considering:
* MB Phase 3 Nautilus
* GLX 957CBR
* Dobyns 906CB

Any other suggestions? I like the GLX cranking rods but don't know if the 957 can handle the 2 oz cranks.

Thanks!

M

arbogastjunkie
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Best rod to throw monster cranks?

Post by arbogastjunkie » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:54 pm

I would not suggest using the Nautilus for that application. I have been using the BlackPython to throw 10xds and event found that to be border line. In my mind the Black Python is a much stouter rod than the Nautilus.

DougL58
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by DougL58 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:21 pm

13 Fishing Envy Black 7'11" Crankenstein. Very light weight for the size/power/length. Good parabolic action. Handles 1/2 to 2 oz baits. Great rod for the price.

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:42 am

Have not used the other two but have the Nautilus and would not recommend it as a primary big crankbait rod. It is a versitile enough rod it can be used for big cranks but in my opinion is not moderate enough to be as ideal for treble hook baits as a crankbait specific rod. Also I think giant crankbaits would overload it past its ideal point.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:30 am

I don't know about the Dobyns on your list, but the Nautilus and the GLX 957 are out as far as I'm concerned. Neither handle those baits effectively. There are many rods that do however.

In the Loomis line, the SWBR 955c is an excellent big crank stick with the handle length, flex, and power to spare. The new 959 feels like it'll get the job done nicely as well, but I've yet to put any time on the water with that one.

In the Megabass line, the XX Leviathan handles mag cranks no problem. It may be on the stout side of what most guys like for "cranking" but we aren't talking traditional cranking here and I find it handles the 10XD, SKT MAG, etc. nicely. I've thrown the 10XD on the Phase III Seven Eleven which is rated to 2 oz, and while I know several guys who really love this rod for 6, 8, and 10XD cranks, I find it a little under powered for the 10's, though I do like a more stout cranking rod than most.

On another note altogether, the Hammer Rod 7'6" Heavy Swim Bait rod is a fantastic mag crank stick, among many other uses. At well under $200 with the "TT10" discount code, it's one heck of a lot of rod for the money too:

http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... ts_id=6165

As far as the fatigue factor, throwing 2 oz. 20'+ running baits all day is a fatiguing endeavor. I understanding looking for a stick to lighten the load a bit, but it's a task nonetheless.

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:07 am

Take a Look at the new Zillion 8 foot Glass Cranker....Brett Ehler says it will handle up to 3 oz easily even thought it is rated for only 2 oz.

If you don't like the Glass... look at the Zillion Swimbait Line...they have now gone to Moderate (Daiwa calls Regular) Actions on them and both the MH up to 2 oz and Heavy can handle up to 4 oz.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:12 am

Bronzefly, have you had a chance to throw the new Levante Leviathan yet?

It sounds like it might worth adding to his list for consideration as well.

http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... ts_id=7800

DaveJ

barrys
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by barrys » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:12 pm

806cb Dobyns but the fatigue part IMO is more in the reel,I'm using a 5.5 Chronarch 200e but more importantly I've added a 102mm Hawgtech handle and throwing and retrieving 10XD's is quite effortless on the retrieve

saoulons
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by saoulons » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:14 pm

Thank you all for the helpful replies.

Barrys, I assume that you are using the Graphite version of the 806CB and not the Glass version (don't think they make a 806CB in Glass but just making sure)?

Agree with both Barrys and Bronzefly, heaving and retrieving these cranks is a hefty task and in a class of its own. But on the cast, a rod that loads well and can lob the cranks a mile will help tremendously. I tried throwing these using a St-Croix LTB Swimbait rod and it was way too stiff and had to whip it, making my shoulder tired. And yes, the reel and handle length make a huge difference on the retrieve. :shock:

I didn't find much on the JDM front for hefty cranking rods except for maybe MB Tomahawk GTA but those are hard to find and not rated for 2 oz cranks. Is it that those monster cranks are a primarily American thing? Will take a White Python for this task if anyone knows where to get one :whistle:

In any case, currently leaning toward the Dobyns 806CB based on reputation and the fact that it is explicitly rated for 10XDs and I think I want something 7'10"+ long for lob casting; I am looking for a dedicated monster crank stick and don't need it to double-duty (am plenty covered everywhere else, for now :lol:). Below is the list I came up with based on various research I did and input I got on this board (probably not exhaustive).

Designated Cranking Rods (mostly Graphite or Composite)
* Dobyns Champ Crank Rod 8' Heavy 806CB (Graphite)
* 13 Fishing Envy Black Cranking Rod 7'11" "Crankenstein" (Graphite + Glass)
* Enigma Aaron's Edge Cranking Rod 7'10" Med Hvy (Graphite) - Although mentions 6-8XD, not 10XD
* G Loomis Crankbait Casting 7'11" Extra Hvy (Graphite)
* Phenix Crankbait Cast Rod 7'6" Heavy X13 (Graphite + Glass)
* Daiwa Zillion Crankbait Rod 8' Med Hvy (Glass)

Non-Cranking Rods
* Megabass Orochi XX Leviathan
* St-Croix Legend Elite EC711HMF
* G Loomis SWBR 955c or 959c
* Hammer Rod 7'6"
* Megabass Destroyer Phase III Seven Eleven
* Megabass Orochi X4 Black Python
* Megabass Evoluzion White Python
* Daiwa Zillion Swimbait Rod 8' Heavy

Still got some time before I make a purchase (lakes are frozen solid around here), so I welcome any additional suggestions or feedback on the above rods based on personal experience.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:17 am

Still got some time before I make a purchase (lakes are frozen solid around here), so I welcome any additional suggestions or feedback on the above rods based on personal experience.[/quote]

I'm in the same boat as you. Looking for a deep/big crank rod with plenty of time to think.

nativefloridian
Angler
Angler

Post by nativefloridian » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:04 am

I have the daiwa zillion 8ft swimbait mh regular bend rod. Its great for large crankbaits and thats what i use it for 90% percent of the time. Really great rod.

Redlinerobert
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Redlinerobert » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:21 am

White Python Slant Bridge.

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:03 am

Super Destruction 78xx (F8-78DGi) is also wicked good at this application. I'm all over the biggest cranks I can find nowadays. The ache and pain is sometimes worth the effort, sometimes not, but it doesn't take long to get used to. Going back to 1oz seems sooooo easy compared to what it once did that it's mind boggling.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:34 am

On the note of throwing big cranks, what reel is ideal for bombing big cranks?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:52 am

IlliniDawg01 wrote:Bronzefly, have you had a chance to throw the new Levante Leviathan yet?

It sounds like it might worth adding to his list for consideration as well.

http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... ts_id=7800

DaveJ
I haven't tossed them on the Levante Leviathan, but am sure it will handle them just fine based on what I've felt with it so far.
Redlinerobert wrote:White Python Slant Bridge.
On an enthusiast level, agreed 100% - I actually like the blank of the Black Jungle F6.5-74XBJ better for the mag cranks, but the handle length and overall feel of the SB White Python is a favorite for them.
ccass wrote:On the note of throwing big cranks, what reel is ideal for bombing big cranks?
There are so many great reels out there these days! Despite the size/weight/ratio, I love the Daiwa Z200H/HL for these baits. It can launch them, no doubt. I've used a Zillion Crazy Cranker, but prefer a higher IPT in general. The new Calcutta Conquest 200 is a great one, the current Antares, the old Calcutta TE 250 DC... so many reels, so little time :lol: