How good is the Megabass FX68 Viola!?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

How good is the Megabass FX68 Viola!?

Post by silversix » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:36 pm

Loooooooove the color and fund one for under $210USD brand new. How good are these!? Can the stock spool go as low as true 1/8oz? If i were to buy a separate BFS spool, how's the feel when fishing light tackle? I don't really want this to be a bass reel but more of a BFS one. I can't seem to find the exact weight of this thing :doh: on some sites its 190g on others its 185g and on ebay i see em under 163g :shock:

Would this be a good BFS reel if i were to swap spools (if needed. I'm not very familiar with the stock spool this thing has)? Everyone talks about their T3's and i'm kinda curious about the platform.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: How good is the Megabass FX68 Viola!?

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:49 pm

I have an FX68 Rosso but haven't fished it yet. Word is the 1010 spool excels around the half ounce mark. Not a bfs spool. I put the spool in my Tdz and have an SV 1000 spool in the Rosso. With that same spool in the Tdz I could comfortably cast 1/8 Oz. If you want a true bfs reel the soon to be released Alphas air looks and sounds very promising. For 210 bucks the FX68 is worth having, but with the expense of an additional spool you have to decide. Personally I like having a few spool options readily available as I don't need to bring as many reels if I'm fishing from the bank.

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:57 pm

Yeah, but if i get another spool, i will sell the stock spool and i'm pretty damn sure that i can get a lot of money for a brand new spool like that. I've seen the Alphas Air and i'm not interested. Decent price but i do not like how it looks. Teh looks are everything!!! :lol:

I'm just wondering if the reel is simply too heavy for BFS applications. I'm used to the ~5.5oz range reels for BFS. But i sure love the pimpin' color of the Viola lol

Edit: Did the Rosso came with an additional spool?

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:57 pm

You can make any reel into BFS reel with the proper spool swap.

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:30 pm

Just got a Viola, weighs in at 185g.- 6.5 oz. Have not spooled it up yet. Sure looks cool.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:07 pm

silversix wrote:Yeah, but if i get another spool, i will sell the stock spool and i'm pretty damn sure that i can get a lot of money for a brand new spool like that. I've seen the Alphas Air and i'm not interested. Decent price but i do not like how it looks. Teh looks are everything!!! :lol:

I'm just wondering if the reel is simply too heavy for BFS applications. I'm used to the ~5.5oz range reels for BFS. But i sure love the pimpin' color of the Viola lol

The weight of the reel has nothing to do with how light a bait it will cast. The depth and weight of the spool does. Unless you're going with an oober short bfs rod, the combo should balance fine. Here is a link to the spool you want for that reel to cast an eighth of an ounce. You should be able to get enough money by selling the 1010 spool to fund this. I wouldn't expect much more, but sometimes people get crazy.

http://www.hedgehog-studio.co.jp/product/2000

May as well order a set of "air" bearings while you're at it -

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:43 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
silversix wrote:Yeah, but if i get another spool, i will sell the stock spool and i'm pretty damn sure that i can get a lot of money for a brand new spool like that. I've seen the Alphas Air and i'm not interested. Decent price but i do not like how it looks. Teh looks are everything!!! :lol:

The weight of the reel has nothing to do with how light a bait it will cast. The depth and weight of the spool does. Unless you're going with an oober short bfs rod, the combo should balance fine. Here is a link to the spool you want for that reel to cast an eighth of an ounce. You should be able to get enough money by selling the 1010 spool to fund this. I wouldn't expect much more, but sometimes people get crazy.

http://www.hedgehog-studio.co.jp/product/2000

May as well order a set of "air" bearings while you're at it -
Im perfectly aware of that. But, the lighter, the better (in most cases) when it comes to BFS. I will be ordering a pair of Air BFS. The spool i was looking forward to is one of those Chinese shallow spools for $40 (made a thread about em in the Reel section on the front page). The Viola/T3/Ryoga1016 all borrow the same spool size, right? The stock Viola's spool is just shallower? How do you guys feel about the $210 for this reel? Good deal, decent, "meh"? I saw they aren't made in Japan :( . Does the Viola/Rossa have the same "hollow" feel when casting as the T3?
Last edited by silversix on Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:46 am

You will either love it or hate it,simple :lol:

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:48 am

africanbass wrote:You will either love it or hate it,simple :lol:
I've heard that from the T3 review hah. I think i'll love it, tho.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:59 am

Great reel! Love Magforce3D braking system.

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:03 am

silversix wrote:
If you can live with the all 'plastic' construction,hollow feel,possible grooving 'issues' and the made in Thailand issue,you are good to go ;)
Then the fun begins...

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:35 am

africanbass wrote:
silversix wrote:
If you can live with the all 'plastic' construction,hollow feel,possible grooving 'issues' and the made in Thailand issue,you are good to go ;)
Then the fun begins...
the grooving and made in Thailand scares me. Especially the grooving :-k . Btw did the grooving happened to anyone on TT? I know it did to the guy who've reviewed the T3 but he also broke the PX68 SPR spool and i NEVER had any issues with mine.

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:05 am

silversix wrote:
africanbass wrote:
silversix wrote:
Then the fun begins...
the grooving and made in Thailand scares me. Especially the grooving :-k . Btw did the grooving happened to anyone on TT? I know it did to the guy who've reviewed the T3 but he also broke the PX68 SPR spool and i NEVER had any issues with mine.
Do recoil guides groove,yeah sure.It can be done under certain conditions.Does it stop people purchasing NRX rods?
No way!
As for country of origin,I would gladly purchase a chinese spool and give it a spin,you may win :D

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:12 am

africanbass wrote:
silversix wrote:
africanbass wrote:
silversix wrote:
Then the fun begins...
Do recoil guides groove,yeah sure.It can be done under certain conditions.Does it stop people purchasing NRX rods?
No way!
As for country of origin,I would gladly purchase a chinese spool and give it a spin,you may win :D
In your personal opinion, the Viola with a DIY Chinese spool (can anyone confirm that the chinese spool made for the ryoga1016/T3 will fit the Viola?) and a pair of HH Air BFS a good bfs combo?

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:07 am

Just noticed, the reel has only 6 BB's??? What's missing, 2 per knob and the level wind bearing? 2 bushing per knob in a baitcaster that was originally sold for over $400??? :shock: