How good is the Megabass FX68 Viola!?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: How good is the Megabass FX68 Viola!?

Post by silversix » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:44 am

blkfalc4 wrote:Overall, to me anyway, is it's a no buy.
Too many other options out there. Unless you're dead set on getting one.
I'm not dead set on it. What would be your reasons for not buying the reel? If the Steez 103 was available for $250 as it was less than a month ago (on plat), i'd be dead set on it. In fact, i would've already ordered one because i know there's no such thing as problems with a Steez. For under $210USD, there isn't many options. Wasn't the Viola over $400 when it came out in 2014?

blkfalc4
Angler
Angler

Post by blkfalc4 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:30 pm

My dead set comes from all the cons on this post. I know nothing about this MB reel. Don't have one, nor desire one after this thread.(pretty much I was saying from the start).
You mentioned the steez,,, now there I have plenty,,,,, and love em.... gotta be the best .

Good Luck in your quest m8,,,

MIke

kakaryan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by kakaryan » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:50 pm

Just read your whole thread again. So, what do you NEED and what do you WANT?

You NEED a bfs reel? Neither the FX68 nor Steez 103 is true BFS. With an aftermarket spool, yes, can do, but you said extra expense.......

You WANT to take advantage of the discount price? Both FX68 and Steez were more than 400USD when they were new. You saw them going around 200? Go ahead!

Both are nice reels. Don't read too much about those grooving issue threads. They aren't using their reels in proper fashion. Try one, and judge yourself.

Simple. Still couldn't decide? In true TT fashion, get both. 8-)

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:49 pm

kakaryan wrote:Just read your whole thread again. So, what do you NEED and what do you WANT?

You NEED a bfs reel? Neither the FX68 nor Steez 103 is true BFS. With an aftermarket spool, yes, can do, but you said extra expense.......

You WANT to take advantage of the discount price? Both FX68 and Steez were more than 400USD when they were new. You saw them going around 200? Go ahead!

Both are nice reels. Don't read too much about those grooving issue threads. They aren't using their reels in proper fashion. Try one, and judge yourself.

I can't get the Steez because its sold out but i sent them a message asking if there will be more in the future or if they're discontinued. Neither reels are bfs ready, true, but both have access to those Chinese shallow spools i'd like to try. Since its the weekend, i haven't received an answer about the Steez so i'm waiting. Since the Viola is a limited edition MB, i'm sure it'd be easy to sell in case i dislike or find a 10/10 condition Airy Red or Yellow Pixy for good price.

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:54 pm

silversix wrote:
kakaryan wrote:Just read your whole thread again. So, what do you NEED and what do you WANT?

I can't get the Steez because its sold out but i sent them a message asking if there will be more in the future or if they're discontinued. Neither reels are bfs ready, true, but both have access to those Chinese shallow spools i'd like to try. Since its the weekend, i haven't received an answer about the Steez so i'm waiting. Since the Viola is a limited edition MB, i'm sure it'd be easy to sell in case i dislike or find a 10/10 condition Airy Red or Yellow Pixy for good price.
Yeah a 10/10 airy red for a good price,now that's more realistic :lol:

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:25 pm

africanbass wrote:
silversix wrote:

Yeah a 10/10 airy red for a good price,now that's more realistic :lol:
lol i know, been looking for one for over half a year now :|

Rich Frye
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Rich Frye » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:46 am

Curious, what is considered a good price on a near mint/mint red Pixy these days? I have seen a few very nice ones pop up over the last few months . Bought one.

http://imgur.com/a/W6smH

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:59 am

Rich Frye wrote:Curious, what is considered a good price on a near mint/mint red Pixy these days? I have seen a few very nice ones pop up over the last few months . Bought one.

Did you get it on japanese auction sites? I never dealt with those sites. I tried to get one on Ebay but its not possible. Do you happen to have a link to where you've seen a few and bought yours? Is it safe buying from those sites? Cuz when i see the whole page in Japanese and need to google/translate every page, its scary :doh:

Rich Frye
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Rich Frye » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:34 am

silversix wrote:
Rich Frye wrote:Curious, what is considered a good price on a near mint/mint red Pixy these days? I have seen a few very nice ones pop up over the last few months . Bought one.

Did you get it on japanese auction sites? I never dealt with those sites. I tried to get one on Ebay but its not possible. Do you happen to have a link to where you've seen a few and bought yours? Is it safe buying from those sites? Cuz when i see the whole page in Japanese and need to google/translate every page, its scary :doh:
I bought mine off of Ebay from Japan and a dealer I knew. I just saw one on Ebay at 9.5 rating going for $189.00 delivered. In today's Pixy market I think that is fair for the red . A couple have been listed here over the past few months too.
But honestly , I really don't know exatly where he market is at. Not where it was a few years ago at all.

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:05 am

Rich Frye wrote:
silversix wrote:

I bought mine off of Ebay from Japan and a dealer I knew. I just saw one on Ebay at 9.5 rating going for $189.00 delivered. In today's Pixy market I think that is fair for the red . A couple have been listed here over the past few months too.
But honestly , I really don't know exatly where he market is at. Not where it was a few years ago at all.
No idea how you managed to get an Airy Red in this condition off of Ebay. I look every single day for ages now.

Rich Frye
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Rich Frye » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:41 am

silversix wrote:
Rich Frye wrote:
silversix wrote:

No idea how you managed to get an Airy Red in this condition off of Ebay. I look every single day for ages now.
I knew the guy and talked him down a bit. I have seen at least three I would buy since last october . All about $189 tyd or so.
There was a time that I was looking every day also.
Then you have the guys over there asking $250 or above. No thanks.

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:45 pm

Seems you started this thread in hopes of being talked out of buying this reel.

So here it goes;
Paint will most likely chip, it’s a cheap MB reel.
6 bearings? Now that’s a deal breaker.
Hoods should only be found on cars.
The only thing groovy on that reel, is the paint scheme.
You will pay customs, we’re Canadian!

Hope this helps.

Fyi, I’m being totally sarcastic :big grin:

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:03 am

silversix wrote:Just noticed, the reel has only 6 BB's??? What's missing, 2 per knob and the level wind bearing? 2 bushing per knob in a baitcaster that was originally sold for over $400??? :shock:
Bearing are fairly cheap. Are you looking for reasons to buy or not to buy. I personally didn't like my T3, just couldn't get used to the hood, but it was a great reel. The FX is going to be even better. Different strokes for different folks. Reel is well made and highly functional. Like said earlier, you will either love it or hate it.

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:55 am

BigG wrote:
silversix wrote:Just noticed, the reel has only 6 BB's??? What's missing, 2 per knob and the level wind bearing? 2 bushing per knob in a baitcaster that was originally sold for over $400??? :shock:
Bearing are fairly cheap. Are you looking for reasons to buy or not to buy. I personally didn't like my T3, just couldn't get used to the hood, but it was a great reel. The FX is going to be even better. Different strokes for different folks. Reel is well made and highly functional. Like said earlier, you will either love it or hate it.
Already ordered a pack of 10 BB's for the handle and have a BB for the level wind so that isn't an issue but a simple notice. Good chance i'm ordering the reel today or tomorrow (still didn't get the answer about the Steez)

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:53 pm

Okay, well, ages later, its done. Lime Green knobs and the Viola should arrive by next week. Now i need a new 90-100mm handle and a shallow spool, tho.