Shimano Jackal poison Ultima - Anyone got one

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Shimano Jackal poison Ultima - Anyone got one

Post by Bootytrain » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:10 pm

Jdmbassman wrote:How come there isn't any love for the new Steez SV103 ? I thought that SV spool in a Steez body would be great for 1/4 to 1/2oz stuff
Probably because this is a Shimano Jackall Poison Ultima thread?

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:33 pm

Bootytrain wrote:
Jdmbassman wrote:How come there isn't any love for the new Steez SV103 ? I thought that SV spool in a Steez body would be great for 1/4 to 1/2oz stuff
Probably because this is a Shimano Jackall Poison Ultima thread?
Well... I put my Met on a Steez, and I wouldn't change a single thing :lol: :lol:

iliketofishman
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by iliketofishman » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:45 pm

Would the new 166m model work be good for jerkbaits? I know I've asked before on here and the 170m is good but not sure if the 66 model is targeted for another technique.

haoz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by haoz » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:51 pm

iliketofishman wrote:Would the new 166m model work be good for jerkbaits? I know I've asked before on here and the 170m is good but not sure if the 66 model is targeted for another technique.
Been busy lately so haven't been on much.

166m is ideal for jerk baits. I'm about 5'11 so I prefer the 66m length better. I would say this rod have no problems up to 3/4 oz weight.

Have to agree with all the positive feedback on the PU. Haha. Best investment ever.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:11 pm

I'll have the PU162L-S later this week and that will complete my purchases of BFS rods and all that left for completion is three more Ald Mg7's.

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jpmoney » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:44 pm

I'm becoming more interested in these rods. If you have one, where did you order it from? So far it seems like plat is the only place that has them in stock.

maxpowers
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by maxpowers » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:08 am

jpmoney wrote:I'm becoming more interested in these rods. If you have one, where did you order it from? So far it seems like plat is the only place that has them in stock.
Any Shimano dealer in Japan can get you them if you ask nicely. There may be a little wait unless you order from Plat or bass.jp (a shop that has them currently in stock).

Love2Grabbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Love2Grabbass » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:01 am

For me, I only have the MB variants and those only go on MB rods. All other rods get Shimano... at this point though, I honestly like my MB and Shimano reels equally. So its not a preferance in performance, sadly its just a preferance for manufacturer matching.

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:32 am

Love2Grabbass wrote:
For me, I only have the MB variants and those only go on MB rods. All other rods get Shimano... at this point though, I honestly like my MB and Shimano reels equally. So its not a preferance in performance, sadly its just a preferance for manufacturer matching.
Haha, I sold off my two Poison rods but puting a daiwa/mb reel on one just feels wrong, lol. On the other hand, putting a shimano on a megabass rod just seems so right... :)

Love2Grabbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Love2Grabbass » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:34 am

the hooligan wrote:
Love2Grabbass wrote:
Haha, I sold off my two Poison rods but puting a daiwa/mb reel on one just feels wrong, lol. On the other hand, putting a shimano on a megabass rod just seems so right... :)
:-$ scandelous! By the way, why'd you sell your Poisons? Did you at least keep the bfs ultima?

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:34 pm

Love2Grabbass wrote:
:-$ scandelous! By the way, why'd you sell your Poisons? Did you at least keep the bfs ultima?
:mrgreen:

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:32 pm

Love2Grabbass wrote:
the hooligan wrote:
Love2Grabbass wrote:
John scooped it up. I wanted one bfs rod with a little more length and the eiger northwall is the perfect fit. I will miss the light weight and sensitivity of the Ultima though... :crying:

If shimano/jackall ever expands the Ultima bfs lineup, I'll definitely be back. Would love a 6'6-6'8 Light :big grin:

airtreeswateranimals
Angler
Angler

Post by airtreeswateranimals » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:17 am

I haven't tried one yet but I do own a poison glorious 172H and it's one of my favorite jig and worm rods to date. It's also a really versatile rod in my opinion you can use it for many other applications in a pinch when needed.

iliketofishman
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by iliketofishman » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:23 pm

I'm about to pull the trigger on the 166M. Is it a medium (regular) action. I saw on the video that Shimano Japan had and the guy was casting jigs. I don't want a fast or extra fast rod.

Thanks guys

Farnorth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Farnorth » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:26 am

I don't have it but my understanding is that it is a sensitive rod with a faster taper. The 170m is the moderate hard bait stick.