Any upgrades for a PX68 SPR?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Any upgrades for a PX68 SPR?

Post by silversix » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:03 pm

So i got myself a brand new SPR for $200 :big grin: and would like to know if there's anything worth upgrading. How are the stock bearings on this reel? Would the HH BFS help for casting 1/8 and under? Digitaka has those green lime knobs, i want them! But other that than, not sure what's worth upgrading on this thing.

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Any upgrades for a PX68 SPR?

Post by the hooligan » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:48 pm

Upgrade the drag and put a set of hedgehog air or bocas in for mechanics. For cosmetics, a carbon handle looks nice.

MondayMonkey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MondayMonkey » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:08 am

On mine I upgraded to the Hedgehog Air BFS bearings, beefed up the drag, and swapped all the screws to gunmetal Hedgehog Hex ones (I do hex screws on every reel I own). I love that reel it casts like a dream and it's one of the smoothest I own. Personally I like the stock handle over CF but that's just me.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:21 am

I love mine, I had mine polished, bearings, & drags also. I like the handle, too. Spool is pretty good, which good since we'll probably never have an upgrade.

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:16 am

Between HH Air and HH Air BFS, which is a better option for the reel? I may also grab so Deep Purple screws from HH for a little bit more purple accent. Can't wait to use this thing!

MondayMonkey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MondayMonkey » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:44 am

silversix wrote:Between HH Air and HH Air BFS, which is a better option for the reel? I may also grab so Deep Purple screws from HH for a little bit more purple accent. Can't wait to use this thing!
I have not tried both bearings in the SPR but I do have HH Airs in most of my other reels. I've found that going by the HH chart works well. If you're going to be throwing a lot of light lures with the SPR (what it's designed for) I'd recommend the BFS. I throw nothing heavier than a 1/4oz and mostly around 3/16th and some 1/8th on my SPR. The BFS bearings are fantastic in that range. If you're going to be using lures in the 1/4 to 1/2oz I'd go with regular Airs.

I've considered adding some purple accents mine sits on a Megabass X7 rod which also has some matching purple. I have held off though since I couldn't find a solid answer on which HH purple matches. If you go that route let us know lol.

mrpao
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mrpao » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:28 am

Wish i could find more parts the original purple color on the reel.

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:43 am

mrpao wrote:Wish i could find more parts the original purple color on the reel.
Am i wrong here or is the reel using the Deep Purple color from hedgeHog? Those are the screws http://www.hedgehog-studio.co.jp/product-list/54

At first, i thought the SPR has the Royal Purple but at closer inspections (don't have the reel yet so can't confirm) it has Deep Purple accents? Don't want to buy wrong purple that doesn't fit the reel :|

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:48 am

MondayMonkey wrote:
silversix wrote:Between HH Air and HH Air BFS, which is a better option for the reel? I may also grab so Deep Purple screws from HH for a little bit more purple accent. Can't wait to use this thing!
I have not tried both bearings in the SPR but I do have HH Airs in most of my other reels. I've found that going by the HH chart works well. If you're going to be throwing a lot of light lures with the SPR (what it's designed for) I'd recommend the BFS. I throw nothing heavier than a 1/4oz and mostly around 3/16th and some 1/8th on my SPR. The BFS bearings are fantastic in that range. If you're going to be using lures in the 1/4 to 1/2oz I'd go with regular Airs.

I've considered adding some purple accents mine sits on a Megabass X7 rod which also has some matching purple. I have held off though since I couldn't find a solid answer on which HH purple matches. If you go that route let us know lol.
Im 95% sure its the Deep Purple. Looks exactly the same.

mrpao
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mrpao » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:06 am

I have some deep purple parts on one of my Cores and the colors don't match.
The SPR purple is more vibrant and looks better in my opinion.

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:16 am

mrpao wrote:I have some deep purple parts on one of my Cores and the colors don't match.
The SPR purple is more vibrant and looks better in my opinion.
well that sucks, there's no HH colors that match then

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:26 pm

I have a SLP works edition with Daiwa Emeraldas paint from factory. I kept the handle because i like it and the upgrades are Carbontex drag, AIR BFS bearings and i think i did the level wind bearing upgrade... not sure. I have the reel mainly for small shad style crank mounted on either the Phase 3 Griffon or Gazelle SGS.

MondayMonkey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MondayMonkey » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:54 am

Pen3 wrote:I have a SLP works edition with Daiwa Emeraldas paint from factory. I kept the handle because i like it and the upgrades are Carbontex drag, AIR BFS bearings and i think i did the level wind bearing upgrade... not sure. I have the reel mainly for small shad style crank mounted on either the Phase 3 Griffon or Gazelle SGS.
I used to have that same problem I could never remember if I did the LW bearing upgrades on my reels. I now have an updated spreadsheet with every reel I own, date of purchase, stock specs, service records, and upgrades applied. Just in case I want to sell a reel and need the info lol. I might have a bit of an obsession... 8-[

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:44 pm

Now that im using it, god damn i wish it had magZ/magV. Dislike the fact that the only way to adjust your brakes is the tension knob :crying:

Feels like its more difficult to cast lighter lures during windy conditions. On my Pixy Airy Red i used to fish at 8-10 (out of 20 adjustments) with free tension knob the large majority of the time. Cant do that on an SPR :? Maybe its because i had HH Air. But i ordered some HH BFS for the SPR so will see the results in a week.

bkuave
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bkuave » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:34 pm

I have one of these little jewels and I've come up with I think a cool upgrade,a combo SPR/PX68. I'm gonna assemble a new palm side plate but with the Magforce Z from the PX68. I can use any PIXY platform spool and wham I have a combo SPR/PX68. All parts can be ordered through Plat. Did some quick math and it looks like about $75 US,plus the spool which I have an extra already. I checked my PX side plate and spool in the SPR and wow it's now a PX68! The SPR side plate is a different color but the Magforce assembly should screw right on the plate. This way the reel is the same color as original. It's now a Pixilla with an dual personality.