Daiwa SV Spool Question

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
bassm1n
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Daiwa SV Spool Question

Post by bassm1n » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:57 am

Can one of you daiwa gurus educate me on why the SV spool is so desired and what makes it different. Usually its "I dont know what it is but i want it". Thought a little more education would help.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Daiwa SV Spool Question

Post by Cracker » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:43 pm

Let you cast further.
Let you cast lighter stuff.
Stress Free - less backlashes or overruns.

I would say those three factors I noticed on my reels with SV spool.

bassm1n
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassm1n » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:52 pm

What is different about the spool that provides those benefits over stock spool.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:52 pm

SV don't cast farther for me just more control. D

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:15 pm

OK, the only reel there I tested distance was - Megabass FX68 with stock spool vs RCSB SV 1000
I could cast out all line I had (approximately 70 yards) with 3/4Oz plain jig head on SV spool, and I couldn't do it on Megabass FX68 custom spool, I would say about 10 yards left on that spool every time I cast.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:29 pm

I will try to explain the mechanics and ideology of the SV spool. This may not be 100% accurate as I don't have an SV spool, but others can back me up. This is based on videos and postings on the manner in which the inductors moves.

First, take a look at a standard spool used in any magforce v or z or 3d reel: steez, t3, tdz, zillion, etc.
The inductors on these spools engage the magnets by means of centrifugal force when the spool spins fast enough. There are two blocks of probably plastic which are on the inside of the spool, hidden by the inductor, which are the propagators of this centrifugal force. Think of shimano's SVS or vbs and you'll get the picture, except these blocks move a magnet away from (but in line with the spool shaft) the spool to push the inductor closer to the magnet race in the sideplate, which creates more braking force. The idea is that this the dynamic rotor will allow you to taper off the braking force in a cast, meaning the amount of braking force needed to control the beginning of a cast (more) will not be continually applied throughout the rest of the cast where less is needed.

EDIT: note that the standard magforce z/v (same as 3d) spools do not rotate out, but just slide out.

Now take a look at the SV inductor and it's mechanics. The inductor rotates out towards the sideplate to engage more with the magnets in I believe 1/4 turn. Now I'm not sure if this sooo also has the blocks of plastic behind the inductor to utilize centrifugal force in the braking system, but it is certain that inertia is used in the SV spools system. The immediate jump from 0 rpm to X rpm's demonstrates inertia in that the inductor resists the change in motion initiated by a cast. Thus, at a certain point in a cast, the spool is spinning faster than the inductor because the inductor will resist the rotational velocity. This means that relative to the spools motion, the inductor is essentially rotating in a different direction. In other words, the same effect can be observed if the spool was stationary and the inductor was simply rotated the 1/4 turn necessary to move the inductor out from the spool, towards the end of the spool shaft on that side of the spool.

Why did daiwa choose to rely on inertia more than centrifugal braking in this?
Two reasons: (1) assuming the vs spool does not also have the plastic brake blocks which I am quite certain it does not, the SV design can be much lighter in weight; and (2) better versatility. The SV spool inductor likely can extend out with less force. In other words, with an SV spool, the inductor will engage the magnets with lighter casts and with less aerodynamic baits which won't move the spool as quickly initially.

One thing I didn't mention but which could also hold true is that, due to working off inertia, the SV inductor likely "snaps" back to the "less braking" (not extended into magnets) position quicker since the inductor will reach the same rotational velocity within several rpm's. The 1/4 rpm delay between the spool and inductor is not enough to delay the rotation of the inductor for very long. In other words, the time frame which the spool is braking with more force is cut off quicker to make casting more efficient.

bassm1n
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassm1n » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:52 pm

OVery n8ce explanation. I get it. So will the new zillion sv spool work in the older zillions like the ip 68 by just changing spools??

bassm1n
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassm1n » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:28 pm

Follow up. Seems like the sv is a different system than others so its hard to believe it is all in an inter changeable spool alone. But then again based on posts it appears to be and changing is as simple as buying the sv spool and dropping it in.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:51 pm

bassm1n wrote:Follow up. Seems like the sv is a different system than others so its hard to believe it is all in an inter changeable spool alone. But then again based on posts it appears to be and changing is as simple as buying the sv spool and dropping it in.
The sideplates in a magforce z / v and SV reel are the same. Two rings of magnets with a race if you will between the two since one is larger than the other. Mag 3d has further adjustment in the sideplate but is basically the same system as mag z/v.

The SV system is all about the spool inductor mechanism.

bassm1n
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassm1n » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:56 pm

Thanks. All makes sense.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:03 am

Afrayedknot wrote:
bassm1n wrote:Follow up. Seems like the sv is a different system than others so its hard to believe it is all in an inter changeable spool alone. But then again based on posts it appears to be and changing is as simple as buying the sv spool and dropping it in.
The sideplates in a magforce z / v and SV reel are the same. Two rings of magnets with a race if you will between the two since one is larger than the other. Mag 3d has further adjustment in the sideplate but is basically the same system as mag z/v.

The SV system is all about the spool inductor mechanism.
I would alter that a bit to say that all of the magforce magnet systems are similar, but not the same. Different strength and quality of magnets are used in different reels. Also, the race area where the inductor fits is a little deeper/shallower on some reels.

I have a TDX 105Hi which has tiny round magnets arranged around where the normal ring would be. It doesn't work with any spool other than the stock one, but the stock spool is surprisingly good for finesse.

DaveJ