Whens the Alphas SV review coming?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Whens the Alphas SV review coming?

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri May 15, 2015 1:00 am

????

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Whens the Alphas SV review coming?

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Fri May 15, 2015 1:25 am

The user reviews not good enough for you ;)?

Teal, you gonna take that?

I can pretty much predict the outcome of the TT SV review (without ever touching one) if you want...

The score will be somewhat low due to the missing bearings, smallish line capacity, relatively weak drag, and lack of cover (and maybe oil).

However, with <$30 and some braid you can fix all of those "problems" and have a monster of a reel that could score 8.0+ easily I think.

DaveJ

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Fri May 15, 2015 1:28 am

The best way to see what reviews are coming is to look at the Facebook page and twitter. I saw that an SS SV was purchased and probably being reviewed. Havent seen an alphas but I'm sure its going to come because its a favorite among the TT staff. I'd just buy one since they are so cheap with the yen steadily dropping.

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Fri May 15, 2015 1:47 am

Mine's on the way and it's going on my BCR803 for pitchin'! \:D/

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Fri May 15, 2015 1:59 am

IlliniDawg01 wrote:The user reviews not good enough for you ;)?

I can pretty much predict the outcome of the TT SV review (without ever touching one) if you want...

The score will be somewhat low due to the missing bearings, smallish line capacity, relatively weak drag, and lack of cover (and maybe oil).

However, with <$30 and some braid you can fix all of those "problems" and have a monster of a reel that could score 8.0+ easily I think.

DaveJ
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I agree the score will be a bit low. Lack of levelwind bearings and knob bearings will drop the score. The drag is adequate for what it's intended for. Stated line capacity is scary, I dont find it to be an issue, but it is a 105 size spool. NO box accessories will drop the score a bit. The casting ability of the SV spool will definitely increase the score. The composite side plate may lower the score. Two available gear ratios is average, available in both L and R. Price will be a huge helper for it's score though as it's available for around $75 less than the next SV reel. Design will be average due to it being a rehash of an older platform, regardless of how much the editor loves that old platform :lol:

Add some handle bearings, the levelwind bearing, a carbontex drag, and some braid and yes it is a monster reel :mrgreen: I still need to add the levelwind bearing. I upped my handle length to 90mm via a stock Steez 100 handle, added ZPI knob bearings, RCS knobs, and carbontex drag.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri May 15, 2015 2:10 am

I just ordered one this morning from JLS. Just curious if there was a TT review out or coming. Looking for more things to read about it.

Aaronb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Aaronb » Sat May 16, 2015 1:40 am

IlliniDawg01 wrote:The user reviews not good enough for you ;)?

DaveJ
I think if you read through the biased thoughts in the JDM Daiwa vs JDM Shimano thread you'll see why the user reviews aren't good enough. :lol: