Readdressing An Old Issue -- China

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Reel Old Geezer
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Re: Readdressing An Old Issue -- China

Post by Reel Old Geezer » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:53 pm

I guess none of you are old enough to remember when we wanted nothing made in Japan - It was just cheap junk. That was when I was just a wee tad back before WW II.
Everything cycles.

StarTzar
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by StarTzar » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:13 am

Reel Old Geezer wrote:I guess none of you are old enough to remember when we wanted nothing made in Japan - It was just cheap junk. That was when I was just a wee tad back before WW II.
Everything cycles.
I'm not as old as WW II but I do remember that anything from Japan was deemed to be junk.

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:16 am

I applaud both of you for surviving the dinosaurs! :lol: People looked down on Korean made electronics and cars not too long ago.
Its honestly just a matter of time.

cbream
Angler
Angler

Post by cbream » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:30 am

"anything from Japan was deemed to be junk."

I remember the same but the fact was, it was true. It took some time for the infrastructure, expertise and culture of quality to be realized. The business models of the day were different then. To assume the same course for chinese products is a stretch but not out of the realm of possibility. For now, too many examples of shoddy workmanship, poor quality control and questionable business practices.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:21 am

Reel Old Geezer wrote:I guess none of you are old enough to remember when we wanted nothing made in Japan - It was just cheap junk. That was when I was just a wee tad back before WW II.
Everything cycles.

I do remember, though I was bit a litle shaver. "Made In Japan" could roughly be translated, in the vernacular of the peasantry, "Hunk Of Crap".

StarTzar
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by StarTzar » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:24 am

"Everything cycles"
.... Including Stupid. Unfortunately, we can't fix that.

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:30 am

StarTzar wrote:"Everything cycles"
.... Including Stupid. Unfortunately, we can't fix that.
The things that was said through private messages between me and cbream were amazing. :lol:

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:58 am

I still have some 1950s post WWII Showa and Kyoto Tools wrench in metric and standard. They are still fine as the day i got them and still in use regularly.

cbream
Angler
Angler

Post by cbream » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:23 am

"between me and cbream were amazing."

That is an understatement.

haoz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by haoz » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:26 am

I have used Tokushima reels, and I must say they are d*** cheap!

to be honest, price for price, tokushima spinning reels would put most mid & low tier japanese reels to shame. then again, we are discussing our gears at the enthusiast level...

imho, nothing beats Shimano's Stella at the moment.

as profits drive most companies to outsource, and with management & stakeholders taking their 'rightful' cut of the pie from any costs savings, I seriously doubt we will see much costs savings in our gears regardless of their origins.

to be fair, all countries have their share of rotten apples. innovation does not always equate quality product. just google mita snow chains.

may I remind our readers that many parts of our iPhones, Macs are produced in China. they are then sent to California where the glue is spread, screws mounted and viola! we have a made in china, assembled in California product. does that make our iPhones any more inferior?

lets not bash China because some wonderful products come from there too. I was recently shown some made in china blanks by an entrepreneur, and I was blown away! There is no way for me to verify his claims but he was telling me how even the carbon sheets are made in china, and naming major international brands as his clients.

at the end of the day, I wouldn't mind buying an American product over a Japanese product if the quality is indeed superior.

similarly, I would be pleasantly surprised if I can find superior made in China fishing equipment in my life time.

carbonduke
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by carbonduke » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:39 am

Dont write off the Chinese. They make products what people are willing to pay for. If they have to make Shimano or Daiwa quality reels, I would bet they could make that in a heartbeat. They making super trains all over the world, so a I dont think a baitcaster would pose a big challenge to them. The west with the outsourcing made the biggest mistake. They simple transferred the technology. Now they are in the position when they can do whatever they want. 15 years ago Sony was the top quality TV manufacturer. SAMSUNG took care of that one. In the 50s Demming warned the US car makers to watch out for the japanese. They just ignored and laughed at him. Hyundai 15 years ago was considered a piece of junk, look at them now. Times are changing, and changing fast. I would not be surprised if 5 years from now in the Enthusiast Tackle section we will see the first chinese made stuff.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:25 am

carbonduke wrote:Dont write off the Chinese. They make products what people are willing to pay for. If they have to make Shimano or Daiwa quality reels, I would bet they could make that in a heartbeat. They making super trains all over the world, so a I dont think a baitcaster would pose a big challenge to them. The west with the outsourcing made the biggest mistake. They simple transferred the technology. Now they are in the position when they can do whatever they want. 15 years ago Sony was the top quality TV manufacturer. SAMSUNG took care of that one. In the 50s Demming warned the US car makers to watch out for the japanese. They just ignored and laughed at him. Hyundai 15 years ago was considered a piece of junk, look at them now. Times are changing, and changing fast. I would not be surprised if 5 years from now in the Enthusiast Tackle section we will see the first chinese made stuff.
Going back, as far as my original thought was, had nothing to do with "countries" or "cultures". It was all about exchange rates. People can generally live up to the standards the QC and QA hold them to.