BFS baitcaster shootout, a personal journey

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Patex
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

BFS baitcaster shootout, a personal journey

Post by Patex » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:22 pm

Thanks to TT I managed to spend thousands on BFS reels just to find the best (for me).
1. Started off with T3 MX with SV and RCS1012 spool. The SV spool is really great for an all around spool the RCS1012 had it's time and classed heavy in today's terms. They are still BFS in my mind but more like a power finesse.
2. Second was the Megabass Zonda Hedgehog Custom. Very good reel. I think the Megabass BFS spool sweet spot is around 3-8gr. Below 2 gramms struggle to cast and over 10gr the spool becomes too fast.
3. My third reel is the Steez SV with Megabass BFS spool, same sweet spot as the Zonda, but smoother delivery and more forgiving in casting.
3. Got the Megabass Zonda Honeycomb spool, very good general use spool again over 3.5g. I would say this is a very expensive SV spool for the Alphas. It's a pity that Daiwa brought out the Alphas SV version for almost the same price as the Megabass spool. I didn't know that the Alphas SV was on the way at the time, with hindsight the Honeycomb spool is well overpriced for the functionality.
So overall Daiwa Alphas platform benefits:
* lots of spool variations available
* easy to palm
* relatively light
* really good pitching capabilities
* mag break very good in wind

Drawbacks:
* expensive
* upgrades expensive
* unforgiving mag breaking system
* mag break needs constant adjustment

4. I was always a Daiwa guy, never had a Shimano, and then I thought I just try one Shimano. Let's buy one of the cheapest version.
I got the Scorpion XT1001 (2010) with an Avail ALD0915R spool. Well this reel is just amazing. I can cast 1.8g jighead on it's own to a least 15 yards. The casting is forgiving. I mention this because I don't fish from a boat, but from bank. From bank you always have some obstruction bushes, overhanging trees and you need to cast in funny positions, whereas on a boat you have free room all around you. This spool is just amazing, I tried even to cast 0.9g jig head and casts it with such ease. You really need to whip the Scorpion to cause backlash.
So overall Scorpion XT platform benefits:
* few spool variations available, but those few do the job and cheaper than Daiwa
* cheap you can get one for $170
* spools are cheap, all upgrades are cheaper than Daiwa
* very forgiving, set and forget
* easy to palm, low profile

Drawbacks:
* Relatively heavy, but only by 18gr compared to Alphas
* casting in the wind is difficult

So overall, I am really happy with the Scorpion. Yes, it does not have the fancy paintjob and the name as Megabass, but it does the job and it does it very well. I will not mind as much if I leave it in the car and gets stolen like I would with a limited edition Megabass. I don't mind if it gets scratched (not that I don't care about my reels), it just is an easy tool to use and gives a lot of joy and less worry to use it.

The reels were used on the following rods:
Major Craft Volkey VKC-692XUL/BFS
Megabass The Hedgehog F2.5-64x
Daiwa AirEdge 632LB
Daiwa AirEdge 682MLB
G.Loomis Classic Casting IMX CR721 IMX

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: BFS baitcaster shootout, a personal journey

Post by Bass1980 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:04 pm

Very nice. Mind as well add the Aldebaran BFS XG Limited in your mix. :)

Patex
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Patex » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:17 pm

Thank you. I prefer a more versatile reel. So I ruled out the BFS XG because of the high gearing. But I have an Aldebaran MG on order, and that will get the Avail honeycomb spool :D

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass1980 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:58 pm

=D>

Patex
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Patex » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:26 am

Some private messages made me to clarify a couple of things:
As combo goes, this is what works for me:
1. The Zonda Hedgehog works very well with The Hedgehog rod (F2.5-64x). The rod is classed 1/8 -1/2oz and 6-12lb line. I use this combo with 10lb FC Sniper on the Megabass BFS spool and 10lb Dragoncall on the Honeycomb spool. This is a dream combo with Megabass Hedgehog Jigheads and 2-3 inch trailers.

2. I use the Steez with the CR721 usually with 10lb Fireline. I use it with tubes, senkos, swimsenkos, small jerkbaits. The IMX is real sensitive. I love that rod.

3. The Scorpion XT with the Avail spool loves it on the Volkey VKC-692XUL/BFS (1/32 -1/4oz, 3-8lb line) use it with 6lb FC Sniper with tiny Fisharrow jigheads (0.9-1.8g) and 2" Yamamoto grub or 2" Bass Assasin Curly shad, also for small cranks, like Strike King Bitsy Minnow. I use this rod for more distance.
4. For more accurate casts and skipping I use the Airedge 632LB (1/16 -3/8oz, 5-12lb line) with same 6lb line and lures.I also use this for small twitch baits like the MB Shading-X.
The Volkey and the Airedge are both two piece rods, but I don't feel there is any loss in sensitivity. The Airedge is an amazing rod for the price. And you can always have it in the back of the car with the two piece.

When you look at each combo they are in very different price range, yes it's nice to have the first two but the last two does the job just as well with a great discount and I am happy to give it to my buddies to try, without being overly nervous :D
Last edited by Patex on Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:00 am

We have had some good finesse threats this month and this one is no exception. It has really got me thinking about all the big bream in Guntersville. Been trying to do this without spending a boat load of money and it seems Patex has done the ground work for me, nice work. :D

Patex
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Patex » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:03 am

BigG wrote:We have had some good finesse threats this month and this one is no exception. It has really got me thinking about all the big bream in Guntersville. Been trying to do this without spending a boat load of money and it seems Patex has done the ground work for me, nice work. :D
Thank you, I am glad you find it useful.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:46 am

Looking forward to your comments on the Aldebaran.

PancakeFace22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PancakeFace22 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:03 am

BigG wrote:We have had some good finesse threats this month and this one is no exception. It has really got me thinking about all the big bream in Guntersville. Been trying to do this without spending a boat load of money and it seems Patex has done the ground work for me, nice work. :D
I've had lots of fun catching crappie in Guntersville on my Falcon Expert 6'9" L/ Core 50 combo. Never used it for bluegill before though.

Jayce
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jayce » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:43 pm

Patex wrote:Thank you. I prefer a more versatile reel. So I ruled out the BFS XG because of the high gearing. But I have an Aldebaran MG on order, and that will get the Avail honeycomb spool :D
You will love the Aldebaran MG.

I have both the 1001xt and MG7 for my BFS reels.
The Aldebaran MG has the BFC732 with sufix 21 for casting 1/8 oz lures and the 1001xt has the Avail. spool with 10lbs sufix nanobraid for fishing around grass/cover. Swapping the spools between the two and the aldebaran has the edge in lightness.

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:22 pm

Good write up.

Ive dedicated the past year to finesse fishing. Tried alot of rod/reel combos. My journey is more shimano and dabbled in the daiwa world.

Shimano

bfs xg stock spool
bfs xg with ktf spool
bfs xg with avail spool, centrifugal & avail mag kit
Conquest 51s stock spool
Conquest 51s avail spool centrifugal & avail mag kit
Core 51 avail spool
Core 51 yumeya spool
Core 51 ktf spool
Alde mg zpi 732 spool
KTF aldebaran mg7

Daiwa
pxl-r stock spool
SS Air stock air spool
td-ito steez sv 105 spool

After using all those setups, the most consistent has always been the yumeya, avail, and ktf spools with centrifugal brakes for me. I dont like the avail and zpi mag kits. Way too many variations and i dont like playing with magnets while im fishing.

I was very impressed with the stock pixy, with a spool that heavy it still can throw some pretty light baits. Loved the sv spool on the tdz, and the ss air was great. Awesome spool, just didnt care for the reel.

I hope to own a hedgehog and ktf pixy some day. I think the alphas sv is going to be a killer reel.

From here on out, ill probally stick with shimanos and ktf/avail spools, but if i come into some money, id like to try some more daiwa platforms with ktf spools.

My poison glorious and bfs xg/ktf spool is working well :big grin:

huchen
Angler
Angler

Post by huchen » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:28 pm

Comparing the Avail ALD0915R with the ALD0936RR, would there be a significant gain with the use of the latter on a scorpion 2010 XT1000/1001, or is that there is something sweet indeed about the ALD0915R that isn't reflected much in the specs / stats /technical sheet per se (dunno, something else than their actual weight for example)? I assume the OP went with the ALD0915R for versatility alone (dunno, braid use capabilities for example). But, is it more to it?

Patex
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Patex » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:04 pm

huchen wrote:Comparing the Avail ALD0915R with the ALD0936RR, would there be a significant gain with the use of the latter on a scorpion 2010 XT1000/1001, or is that there is something sweet indeed about the ALD0915R that isn't reflected much in the specs / stats /technical sheet per se (dunno, something else than their actual weight for example)? I assume the OP went with the ALD0915R for versatility alone (dunno, braid use capabilities for example). But, is it more to it?
No, I don't think there is more to it. The ALD0936RR weights 6.7g the ALD0915R weights 6.9g. BUT the 936 has more line capacity, hence I think they made the honeycomb feature so the weight it saves, it accommodates the extra line capacity. So I think overall you are in same weight range (talking about filled spool) but with less (915) or more line (936). I think normal monofilament in 6lb test is about 2.5g/100meters, so you can do the maths on how much you can add as extra weight or save.
It will depend on your fishing if 50yards is enough or do you need 90yards. In my experience with bfs fishing close quarters and less distance 50yards is enough even when I hook by accident into a 5-6lb northern pike.
Last edited by Patex on Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Patex
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Patex » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:32 pm

the hooligan wrote: I hope to own a hedgehog and ktf pixy some day. I think the alphas sv is going to be a killer reel.
Thank you. It's good to see your experience as well.
Yes, the KTF is one that is still bothering me but since I tried so many I think it comes to a point when is overkill. As I said before I can cast even 0.9g with the Avail 915 but reality is usual weight of jighead+trailer depending on the size is between 2-5g, and I have no problem with that sort of weight.

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:44 am

How do you guys feel about a rod with the right ratings? I am currently putting my KTFed Met 13 with Hedgehog Air on CR722 IMX, and I find such ease in casting 3.5 gram spoons and jigs. I do plan to try to throw 1.75 grams combo, so maybe I will need one then...