Help me pick a BFS Combo

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
white84z
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Help me pick a BFS Combo

Post by white84z » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:26 am

I've been looking for a Saltwater safe BFS combo for a while now and I have narrowed it down to a few choices, but I would like to hear what you guys have experienced or feel about these options.

Reels:
Shimano Brenious
Revo Lt-L
Daiwa Alphas Type F with MB Finesse spool.

I have the Alphas already but do not have the spool.

I have limited the rods down to majorcraft but I don't know the main difference between these models.

Go.Emotion 652UL
Corzza 652UL
Volkey 652UL or 692Xul.

I will mainly be using 1/16 to 1/8 hardbaits with the occasional jig

JDLaman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Help me pick a BFS Combo

Post by JDLaman » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:00 am

I am not familiar with any of the rods you have selected but I have been using my Brenious over the late Fall and Winter with great results. I'm throwing 4" plastics with mine and running 20lb Sufix 832 Braid. I can almost spool it at times, but I have had no problems catching big Specks and Reds on this reel. Great caster and great drag. Here's a nice Speck I caught right before Thanksgiving while using my Brenious:
11 25 14 Resize Trout.jpg
11 25 14 Resize Trout.jpg (51.07 KiB) Viewed 5320 times

white84z
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by white84z » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:47 am

Good grief. The largest speck i have caught here in corpus is 20 inches... that thing is a monster. I will be using this combo for the local pier since its loaded with sand trout all summer long and they don't get much bigger than 16". I'm currently using a spinning combo but it stinks with my line of choice which is pline cxx in 6lb. It just jumps off the spool.

JDLaman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by JDLaman » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:06 am

The Brenious is a fantastic little reel that works very well with light braid. Shallow, narrow spool and a faster than normal level wind ensure light braid will not dig in. I use 20lb because I often tangle with over slot Reds while throwing the Brenious. 10lb would work great on it for sand trout and small specks.

The spot behind me in that picture has produced many trout for me in the 25" - 30" to 9.5 lb range. It's a true honey hole. Good luck in your search for a great BFS combo. BFS gear for inshore fishing is addictive!

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:30 pm

The only difference between those rods is the quality of the blank. Hardware is the same. Go Emotion doesn't utilize Toray carbon fiber I believe, and the blank is painted. The Corzza has extra strength throughout the butt section and the cork is super duper nice. The Volkey has a texturized reel seat where as the other two are painted black. The Corzza is nice for the price, but that reel will look best on a Volkey.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:32 pm

The Brenious is a very nice reel imo but it will probably struggle with 1/16th oz. I was able to throw a 1/8 oz rooster tail 30+ yards in the backyard this weekend. I think it is designed with braid in mind. It struggled with 30lb power pro super slick but excelled with some 10lb USA Braid.

DaveJ

white84z
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by white84z » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:15 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:The only difference between those rods is the quality of the blank. Hardware is the same. Go Emotion doesn't utilize Toray carbon fiber I believe, and the blank is painted. The Corzza has extra strength throughout the butt section and the cork is super duper nice. The Volkey has a texturized reel seat where as the other two are painted black. The Corzza is nice for the price, but that reel will look best on a Volkey.
Have you fished any of these rods? Im curious where each rod falls sensitivity wise. Are there any other bfs rods around this price range that I should consider?

slicksouthpaw
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by slicksouthpaw » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:13 pm

1/16oz hardbait will be very very difficult to cast with the corzza and volkey.

realistically 1/8 would be the lowest i think. 1/16oz minijigs cast alot easier

keep in mind i use 10lb braid. maybe a 6 or 4lb mono will cast a lot better

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:35 pm

white84z wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:The only difference between those rods is the quality of the blank. Hardware is the same. Go Emotion doesn't utilize Toray carbon fiber I believe, and the blank is painted. The Corzza has extra strength throughout the butt section and the cork is super duper nice. The Volkey has a texturized reel seat where as the other two are painted black. The Corzza is nice for the price, but that reel will look best on a Volkey.
Have you fished any of these rods? Im curious where each rod falls sensitivity wise. Are there any other bfs rods around this price range that I should consider?
I've fished them all. Not a ton though. Sensitivity isn't anything earth shattering. Pretty standard fair. Mine are 2 piece. All are crisp and lively, and the build quality is most excellent.

white84z
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by white84z » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:25 am

I think i will end up going with the volkey... might as well get the best of the bunch. That leaves me deciding which reel, I will be adding a set of hedgehog air bfs bearings to whichever reel. Im also trying to decide if the Ltz in stock trim is better than an avail spooled lt with air bearings. Whichever reel will end up with pline cxx in 6lb. Its a damn tough line for its diameter.

slicksouthpaw
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by slicksouthpaw » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:11 am

if you gonna go the revo route you might as well get the ltz. stock bearings are very good, extra deeper spool that i fill up halfway and cast just as far. the spool acts very different tho. you can really cast hard without over run or backlashing. the shallower spool gets the same distance but with more of a gentle cast.

with 10lb braid and the deeper spool filled halfway, thats a very hard spool to beat when it comes to long bombing hardbaits. the shallower spool cast mono and fluoro a lot better.

also i put air bearings in there and i think i feel a difference.

slicksouthpaw
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by slicksouthpaw » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:13 am

brenious is for sure my next purchase. i just gotta have 1 shimano reel and thats the one!!

btw u will be amazed and how well the shallower spool cast 4lb cxx pline. MIND BLOWN. no joke

white84z
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by white84z » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:06 pm

It seems majorcraft has discontinued the 692xul. I need the 2 piece for portability and I think the Xul will handle the 1/16 hardbaits better than the UL. Anyone willing to part with theirs?

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:30 pm

It's not on your list, but the Conquest 50/1 S is really special.

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:18 pm

Gone Phishin wrote:It's not on your list, but the Conquest 50/1 S is really special.
X2. I got a Conquest 50 with Avail Spool and Livre handle. The thing cast light stuff effortlessly and looks stunning.