Why doesn't Aaron Martens use Daiwa/Megabass reels?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Why doesn't Aaron Martens use Daiwa/Megabass reels?

Post by Bootytrain » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:48 am

dragon1 wrote:
the hooligan wrote:He loves his metaniums too much :P
Stellas as well
Bass1980 wrote:Wow, I'll be shock if they part ways. I don't need AM to like Megabass and I also don't need Megabass to like AM but they just make a good partnership IMO
Why "would" anyone need a "PRO ENDORSEMENT" on anything to like it? On the partnership, it may only the public's perception...that made the relationship a "good pairing".
Bootytrain wrote:That's crazy considering how much his name is on their products. Maybe shimano\jackall picked him up and will be announcing it at the classic.
Why? He was collecting a check from MB/Daiwa in the meantime, and he obviously has an affinity MB rods. That he has the gumption to use what he likes from a competing brand is the one KUDO I will give him for bucking Corporate Control...granted that it was not professional in light of his endorsement of a different brand. Hell, John Elway did much worse to both the Colts and Raiders, eh? Granted he didn't have a signed contract with either one at the time. :whistle:
Let's read the post I was responding to before getting on your soapbox eh?

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:57 am

Bootytrain wrote:Let's read the post I was responding to before getting on your soapbox eh?
Did so several times...my point is that it is NOT CRAZY. Did you read my response in the same depth?

And no, this is not a soap box, more like a reality check and opinion/point of view (from my standpoint).

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:30 am

dragon1 wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:Let's read the post I was responding to before getting on your soapbox eh?
Did so several times...my point is that it is NOT CRAZY. Did you read my response in the same depth?

And no, this is not a soap box, more like a reality check and opinion/point of view (from my standpoint).
Well in my opinion it is a little crazy if they parted ways seeing as he is the only angler that has his name in any of their products despite them sponsoring several others and the fact that he was vague in his response when asked. When I think Martens I think Megabass, and the crazy part is more shock, which you took out of context, not that I have to explain myself to you eh?

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:46 am

I thought it was a fun discussion, for what it's worth, I also associate Aaron to MB and I'd be surprised if he left.

For what it's worth, I don't buy XX rods because his name is on them, I also remember having a discussion with a fellow angler wishing his name wasn't on the rod cause it seemed a little "tacky".

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:51 am

Bootytrain wrote:
dragon1 wrote:

Well in my opinion it is a little crazy if they parted ways seeing as he is the only angler that has his name in any of their products despite them sponsoring several others and the fact that he was vague in his response when asked. When I think Martens I think Megabass, and the crazy part is more shock, which you took out of context, not that I have to explain myself to you eh?
I never asked you to...that was your perception. The question I "asked" was intended to be answered internally by those who read it...whether you or any other TT reader/member. It is a rhetorical question, eh?

In a nutshell:

- AM, "may have" wanted to force the hand of MB and his public movements were sure to catch the attention of Shimano eventually. Not a surprise at all. He prefers Shimano, but also the MB rods and some of their other products...but was intelligent enough to understand that he could still get a check from MB/Daiwa, no?

- In a perfect AM World, I suppose Shimano picks up MB, eh? This way, "if and when" AM gets his Shimano endorsement - he gets a check and the comp'd Shimano/MB gear he wants + Jackall, eh?

- He still was unprofessional for doing so, but did show gamesmanship and gumption. Elway did the same to the Colts and then Raiders before being traded to the Broncos...then again, Elway had no contract during that span with any of the aforementioned teams. Just using this as an analogy.

- Public perception of what a "PRO" does, good or bad, for any product, is many times over-blown and misconceived by the general public. In this case, we all have our assumptions about this for all three main factors. AM, MB/Daiwa, Shimano.

- When "I" think MB, or any other major product, fishing or not - I don't think any type endorsement...and neither do many other consumers that research and purchase/use products based upon their own experience.

You and any other TT member that has known me for years and thousands of posts, know full well I don't play the "Shimano" or "Daiwa" ONLY card...or ANY ONE BRAND just because of the name. I have owned and used extensively, many Daiwas, Shimanos and Abus over the years...regardless, I merit each brand and specific model within that brand based upon my personal experience of it. NOT because I chose to be biased with a brand for whatever reason.

This said, you are most likely Shimano-biased as are others here are Daiwa-biased. I just find it amusing, and annoying, that folks will only rec "their brand" on posts when someone inquires about several brands...even in such a slight manner as to avoid "talking about" the other brands listed for consideration. :whistle:

Now you can say I had one foot on the soap box, eh?

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:58 am

What's with all the "eh's" in this thread :lol: :lol:

maxpowers
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by maxpowers » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:05 am

389Maverick wrote:What's with all the "eh's" in this thread :lol: :lol:
They're trying to become like us Cannucks. :whistle: :whistle:

I can't see Aaron Martens splitting from MB, I think he's done so much for the brand. I would assume he'd be a top priority for them.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:25 am

dragon1 wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:
dragon1 wrote:

I never asked you to...that was your perception. The question I "asked" was intended to be answered internally by those who read it...whether you or any other TT reader/member. It is a rhetorical question, eh?

In a nutshell:

- AM, "may have" wanted to force the hand of MB and his public movements were sure to catch the attention of Shimano eventually. Not a surprise at all. He prefers Shimano, but also the MB rods and some of their other products...but was intelligent enough to understand that he could still get a check from MB/Daiwa, no?

- In a perfect AM World, I suppose Shimano picks up MB, eh? This way, "if and when" AM gets his Shimano endorsement - he gets a check and the comp'd Shimano/MB gear he wants + Jackall, eh?

- He still was unprofessional for doing so, but did show gamesmanship and gumption. Elway did the same to the Colts and then Raiders before being traded to the Broncos...then again, Elway had no contract during that span with any of the aforementioned teams. Just using this as an analogy.

- Public perception of what a "PRO" does, good or bad, for any product, is many times over-blown and misconceived by the general public. In this case, we all have our assumptions about this for all three main factors. AM, MB/Daiwa, Shimano.

- When "I" think MB, or any other major product, fishing or not - I don't think any type endorsement...and neither do many other consumers that research and purchase/use products based upon their own experience.

You and any other TT member that has known me for years and thousands of posts, know full well I don't play the "Shimano" or "Daiwa" ONLY card...or ANY ONE BRAND just because of the name. I have owned and used extensively, many Daiwas, Shimanos and Abus over the years...regardless, I merit each brand and specific model within that brand based upon my personal experience of it. NOT because I chose to be biased with a brand for whatever reason.

This said, you are most likely Shimano-biased as are others here are Daiwa-biased. I just find it amusing, and annoying, that folks will only rec "their brand" on posts when someone inquires about several brands...even in such a slight manner as to avoid "talking about" the other brands listed for consideration. :whistle:

Now you can say I had one foot on the soap box, eh?
I know you like to play the brand neutral stance but I clearly remember you consistently attempting to point out on numerous that shimanos x ship was supposedly implemented by other brands (in which you purposely did not say Daiwa)a couple of years ago when their new baitcasters came out with the feature. This was probably due to the fact that Carlos Carropicio brought it up even though the spool shaft design is different, and this is just one of many I can remember. You don't seem to be able to say anything positive about Shimano without mentioning Daiwa? Or constantly chiming in that a Shimano tech was done first by a competitor? Perhaps this is due to the fact you were kicked off another forum by your own admission for being perceived as anti shimano? Eh?

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass1980 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:46 am

dragon1 wrote:
Bass1980 wrote:Wow, I'll be shock if they part ways. I don't need AM to like Megabass and I also don't need Megabass to like AM but they just make a good partnership IMO
Why "would" anyone need a "PRO ENDORSEMENT" on anything to like it? On the partnership, it may only the public's perception...that made the relationship a "good pairing".
You really like to argue huh. Wasn't that my point. We got a hot head here.
Last edited by Bass1980 on Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:38 am

Pass another jelly eh :P

MondayMonkey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MondayMonkey » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:46 am

the hooligan wrote:
Pass another jelly eh :P

My friends and I once attempted suicide to this movie in college. By suicide I mean we played a drinking game where you drank every time they said "eh"....

lape0019
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lape0019 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:55 am

I just want to point out that Aaron Martens is not the only pro to have his name on a Megabass rod.

He is the only one to have his name in the model name but Luke Clausen's signature is on a few of the XX rods for sure.

The way this thread is going is a little crazy. heated debate over nothing important IMO.

I like Megabass products and I like AMART. If they part ways, I will still like them both. Their names may be sononimous with each other but things change. I'm sure if KVD switched to Shimano tomorrow, after a year or two, people who used Quantum because his name was on it, would get over it...

StarTzar
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by StarTzar » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:11 am

lape0019 wrote:
The way this thread is going is a little crazy. heated debate over nothing important IMO.

The Hooligan turned the whole thread around and made it quite interesting .... eh! \:D/

H8R
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by H8R » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:14 am

Some jock-riding going on in here...

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:28 am

lape0019 wrote:I just want to point out that Aaron Martens is not the only pro to have his name on a Megabass rod.

He is the only one to have his name in the model name but Luke Clausen's signature is on a few of the XX rods for sure.

I like Megabass products and I like AMART. If they part ways, I will still like them both. Their names may be sononimous with each other but things change. I'm sure if KVD switched to Shimano tomorrow, after a year or two, people who used Quantum because his name was on it, would get over it...
I stand corrected, I do remember a rod I believe, bearing Clausen's name. Its true, it was a simple topic until certain posts went off on tangents to try to complicate something simple just because one brand may be perceived as superior to another.. Eh? Lol