Megabass X7 Dropshot rod help

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
SB_NEWBIE
Angler
Angler

Megabass X7 Dropshot rod help

Post by SB_NEWBIE » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:52 am

Hi all,

I'm not too familiar with MB spinning rods so I need a little help. I'm having trouble deciding between the X7 Powerhouse and Simoom. I'll be using the rod exclusively for dropshotting with 10lb braid main/6-8lb flouro leader, 1/8-1/4oz weight, and in fairly open water with rocks and light weeds in the most extreme cases.

Any inputs for these rods will greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Vidar6
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Megabass X7 Dropshot rod help

Post by Vidar6 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:55 am

I use the X7 Powerhouse for dropshotting and it is stunning =D> =D>

Farnorth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Farnorth » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:03 am

I don't dropshot fish so take this for what it's worth. I have the X7 Simoom and did use it for a day this summer to throw a 1/16 tungsten ice jig with a micro plastic (total weight 3/32) for perch. I thought there was still enough tip to throw a rig this small and the sensitivity was certainly there. Not sure how much your dropshot plastics weigh but if you want the extra power for hook sets or pulling in fish you likely don't have to worry about your rig being too light for the Simoom.

SWH
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by SWH » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:26 am

I use the Simooom A LOT for dropshots in 10 - 50 feet of water and I really enjoy it. I had the Aaron Martens DS rod from the X4 lineup before and the Simoom is somewhat faster and so much more sensitive in my hand. I fish with size 2 DS hooks and landed some 15 lbs. northern pike as bi-catches without any hassle, and it also does well with small 3/8 jig heads like the Eco Pro tungsten balls with some RI little dippers. A size 2500 reel is appropriate and balances it well.

SB_NEWBIE
Angler
Angler

Post by SB_NEWBIE » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:24 am

SWH wrote:I use the Simooom A LOT for dropshots in 10 - 50 feet of water and I really enjoy it. I had the Aaron Martens DS rod from the X4 lineup before and the Simoom is somewhat faster and so much more sensitive in my hand. I fish with size 2 DS hooks and landed some 15 lbs. northern pike as bi-catches without any hassle, and it also does well with small 3/8 jig heads like the Eco Pro tungsten balls with some RI little dippers. A size 2500 reel is appropriate and balances it well.
How does the Simoom compare in power and taper with USDM spinning rods in the 1-3 power.