Megabass C40 Shabbler for Spin Cranks?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Farnorth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Megabass C40 Shabbler for Spin Cranks?

Post by Farnorth » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:32 am

Hi,

I am hoping that some of the people who have handled this rod can comment.

I am considering getting a new Evolution C40 Shabbler to throw small cranks 1/8 - 3/8 for Walleye. I mostly use shading-x55 on up to the flap slap or 110jr. I always seem to have the best luck with Walleye on windy days and small cranks are a pain with casting gear in these conditions. This rod would mainly be used in shallow water up to 6ft deep. There is a mix of sandy/rock bottom and medium weeds/mud bottom. I try to fish the weed edges but you do end up snagging a fair bit so I would like a rod that can pull through rather than having to turn the boat around to retrieve lures all of the time.

I use an x7 Simoom for soft plastics and like it a lot but would something with a softer taper for moving baits. I want a rod that bends but is still sensitive enough to tell the difference between the bottom and a bite.

Is this something you think the Shabbler would be suited for? Is there another rod that you think would be a better fit? In the case of the C40 spinning rods do you have a strong like or dislike of the "humpback" feature of the grip?

Thanks!

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Megabass C40 Shabbler for Spin Cranks?

Post by bronzefly » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:44 am

Farnorth wrote:I use an x7 Simoom for soft plastics and like it a lot but would something with a softer taper for moving baits. I want a rod that bends but is still sensitive enough to tell the difference between the bottom and a bite.

In the case of the C40 spinning rods do you have a strong like or dislike of the "humpback" feature of the grip?
I have the Simoom and C40 Shabbler. Where the Simoom feels like it was designed with bottom contact presentations in mind, the Shabbler feels like it was designed with moving baits in mind. It's an awesome treble hook moving bait stick, but still has plenty of sensitivity to fish a shakey head or a T-rig. It has enough backbone for fishing grass edges with those baits, without a doubt.

Regarding the humpback feature, it's really more muted than it appears in photos. I'm particular about reel seats and overall feel of my tackle, and the Shabbler is very comfortable in my hands. I've been fishing mine with a Stella FI and its just about to start getting a lot of use tossing jerk baits as the water cools!

Gblaze
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Gblaze » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:29 am

Farnorth wrote:Hi,

I am hoping that some of the people who have handled this rod can comment.

I am considering getting a new Evolution C40 Shabbler to throw small cranks 1/8 - 3/8 for Walleye. I mostly use shading-x55 on up to the flap slap or 110jr. I always seem to have the best luck with Walleye on windy days and small cranks are a pain with casting gear in these conditions. This rod would mainly be used in shallow water up to 6ft deep. There is a mix of sandy/rock bottom and medium weeds/mud bottom. I try to fish the weed edges but you do end up snagging a fair bit so I would like a rod that can pull through rather than having to turn the boat around to retrieve lures all of the time.

I use an x7 Simoom for soft plastics and like it a lot but would something with a softer taper for moving baits. I want a rod that bends but is still sensitive enough to tell the difference between the bottom and a bite.

Is this something you think the Shabbler would be suited for? Is there another rod that you think would be a better fit? In the case of the C40 spinning rods do you have a strong like or dislike of the "humpback" feature of the grip?

Updates??? Anyone else took the plunge on the C40 Shabbler?

Thanks!

Farnorth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Farnorth » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:12 pm

I bought a casting rod instead ( x7 shading-x ). Going to give the BFS thing one more try.

Canga-
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Canga- » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:03 am

while i see that the OP question has been resolved, and i have not handled let alone owned the shabbeler (would LOVE to though!) i throw alot of similar baits (weight wise) in similar situations for walleyes. generally throwing a #5 shallow shad rap, #7 countdown, #7 countdown x-rap, etc, on up to 4.5" limited rogues, shadow raps, slender pointer 112. also throw jig/plastic and jig/live bait on the same rod.

last year, at least for the lighter stuff, i used an orochi xx drop shot special, and it was fantastic. this winter i decided to get the orochi x4 version of that rod, and in february i found a destroyer phase 3 version from japan.

so far they have been great, the x4 is a little softer in action than the phase 3, but both have caught their fair share of walleyes on small cranks and have handled the fish great and both can fire a #5 shallow shad rap as far as i would want it (ok that may not be true, but i throws it a good distance!) i havent thrown the heavier stuff on the phase 3, but the X4 handles them just fine.