Daiwa SS SV

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa SS SV

Post by Afrayedknot » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:00 am

Damn only $290 for a SS.. Should've stayed away from this page. :lol:

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:18 am

Afrayedknot wrote:Damn only $290 for a SS.. Should've stayed away from this page. :lol:
Yeah, these SS, a few years back would be closer to $499.

So rather lower prices of existing products which will devalue a brand name they release new products at awesome prices...
Tatula, SS, I wonder if we'll see a replacement if the Z2020

Schlag
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Schlag » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:46 am

The paint job on the SS looks great. That's a steal for under $290.

Instead of purchasing a SS SV, I just purchased a new Steez 100HA for $305. Thought I would be better off getting the Steez and purchasing the SV spool. The only thing that turned me off from the SS was it's handle and lack of brgs in the knobs. Now I'm having second thoughts.

Aaronb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Aaronb » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:32 am

I guess I'll have to see more pictures of this reel. I thought it looked really nice. The picture the OP posted of it mounted on the rod made it look really long. Like somebody drove a 73 Cadillac up and parked it on the fishing rod. I'm not really a fan if that look. The other pictures make it look better I've seen though. The price is very nice though.

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:53 am

Schlag wrote:The paint job on the SS looks great. That's a steal for under $290.

Instead of purchasing a SS SV, I just purchased a new Steez 100HA for $305. Thought I would be better off getting the Steez and purchasing the SV spool. The only thing that turned me off from the SS was it's handle and lack of brgs in the knobs. Now I'm having second thoughts.
-I have a couple of BNIB Steez 100HA that I will let go at 350 ea or 300 ea if someone wants to buy both.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:51 am

What are the gears made of?

vinnieb729
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by vinnieb729 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:45 am

toddmc wrote:What are the gears made of?
At 5.3 oz they must be an aluminum alloy of some sort.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:33 pm

This reel is actully built on a Steez frame with Zaion sideplates and no clicky on the tension knob and a Zaion drag star, which clicks. The extra length you are seeing is an optical illusion accomplished by the pointy nose plate, which will swap right out for a Steez nose. I kind of like the different look myself, but not sure about the non-magnesium sideplates. Oh, and it has the Air Brake cast control, too.

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:01 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:This reel is actully built on a Steez frame with Zaion sideplates and no clicky on the tension knob and a Zaion drag star, which clicks. The extra length you are seeing is an optical illusion accomplished by the pointy nose plate, which will swap right out for a Steez nose. I kind of like the different look myself, but not sure about the non-magnesium sideplates. Oh, and it has the Air Brake cast control, too.
"Air Brake Cast Control" >>>??? ---Please explain.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:07 pm

E73Bass wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:This reel is actully built on a Steez frame with Zaion sideplates and no clicky on the tension knob and a Zaion drag star, which clicks. The extra length you are seeing is an optical illusion accomplished by the pointy nose plate, which will swap right out for a Steez nose. I kind of like the different look myself, but not sure about the non-magnesium sideplates. Oh, and it has the Air Brake cast control, too.
"Air Brake Cast Control" >>>??? ---Please explain.
Oops, I was just drooling over the SS Air and mistakenly wrote that. :doh: :lol: I meant to say that it has MagForce Z, which should give it awesome casting capabilities with an even wider range of lures when you factor in the SV spool. I am thinking long and hard about which one to pick up first. ](*,)

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:31 pm

Actually since I posted that...and it looks like alot of the newer reels are calling out AIR BRAKE Cast control with 20 pt positioning.

I posted about this awhile back.

I believe with the introduction of the SV spools...this new marketing term is being used to replace Magforce Z. So we have Magfore Z with the extra versatility of the SV spool and called it air brake. Then we have seen the 20 pt positioning...Tatula was first. Actually I do not think it is new....we have always had it...just put numbers where we had 1/2...so for instance on the old dials we would have say...4 1/2...that is now 5 and really have no new positions just new numbers assigned to the magforce dial.

kakaryan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by kakaryan » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:16 pm

The inductor of the spool decides what brake system it has.

Eg. Mag. force V, Z....

The inductor on T3 Air and SV is called "Air brake system". The design is different to Mag V, Z.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:45 pm

kakaryan wrote:The inductor of the spool decides what brake system it has.

Eg. Mag. force V, Z....

The inductor on T3 Air and SV is called "Air brake system". The design is different to Mag V, Z.
Steez SV has MagZ with an Air Brake design. I believe the SS SV has this same design.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:13 pm

Guess I was right to begin with, sort of. :-k Quoted from Japan Tackle, in appropriately awkward English(although they have been wrong before): "The Daiwa SS SV offers ultimately comfort casting experiences. The Air Brake magnet brake system has pop-up brake rotor, which engages in regular casting to emit adequate brake force automatically."
Whatever happened to simplicity of design? ](*,) It's just too hard to keep up with all the changes going on nowadays. Daiwa used to not get caught up in the madness so much. But now.... :roll:

kakaryan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by kakaryan » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:02 pm

tywithay wrote:
kakaryan wrote:The inductor of the spool decides what brake system it has.

Eg. Mag. force V, Z....

Steez SV has MagZ with an Air Brake design. I believe the SS SV has this same design.
Steez SV has Mag Z ?

Guys, read the official site.........

http://all.daiwa21.com/fishing/item/ree ... index.html

【マグフォースV】:103H /103HL
【マグフォースZロングディスタンス】:100H/100HL/100SH/100SHL
【エアブレーキシステム】:SV6.3R/6.3L

I repeat, the inductor of the spool decides what brake system it has.