Megabass rod disappointment

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Megabass rod disappointment

Post by GAMEOVER » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:43 pm

After owning a Megabass Elseil back in the day and seeing they're new line up im not too impressed. They use to look better imo. How do they perform these days?

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Megabass rod disappointment

Post by cndbasshunter » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:55 pm

The evoluzion and x7 brings back some flare but I agree the older rods are classic!!

Performance is great..even the XX rods performs up to the $500-600 rods.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:42 pm

Most folks haven't seen an ARMS in person, nor an X7, or for that matter any Phase III or Black Jungle rods. Photos rarely do these rods justice in my opinion. They may not have as much flash as some of the older Megabass rods like the original Elseil Evoluzion, which is a particularly flashy model even by "old" MB standards, but there are some truly beautiful examples of artistry in the current line up.

Several of the X7 rods feature the "Oracle Dragon" in the split between the grips, and all the X7 rods have beautifully done, classy thread wraps, and a stunning looking blank. The matching anodized parts, wraps, and script highlighting on the Super Red Demon, Power Versatile, and Deep Crank Slow Rolling for example are beautiful in person. The Ito head locking system and the stealth fit housing reel seat available on some models are awfully nice to look at too.

In terms of performance, advancement in blank technology is evident through the lineage of Megabass rods. From the solid performance of the entry level XX line up to the flagship line of Yoloy wrapped X7 and ARMS Challenge with full Core Inplex blanks, it would be hard to argue against their progress in that regard. The new Destroyer Evoluzion line does return some of that louder flare of old, and I'm pretty excited about that new line myself.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:50 pm

bronzefly wrote:Most folks haven't seen an ARMS in person, nor an X7, or for that matter any Phase III or Black Jungle rods. Photos rarely do these rods justice in my opinion. They may not have as much flash as some of the older Megabass rods like the original Elseil Evoluzion, which is a particularly flashy model even by "old" MB standards, but there are some truly beautiful examples of artistry in the current line up.

Several of the X7 rods feature the "Oracle Dragon" in the split between the grips, and all the X7 rods have beautifully done, classy thread wraps, and a stunning looking blank. The matching anodized parts, wraps, and script highlighting on the Super Red Demon, Power Versatile, and Deep Crank Slow Rolling for example are beautiful in person. The Ito head locking system and the stealth fit housing reel seat available on some models are awfully nice to look at too.

In terms of performance, advancement in blank technology is evident through the lineage of Megabass rods. From the solid performance of the entry level XX line up to the flagship line of Yoloy wrapped X7 and ARMS Challenge with full Core Inplex blanks, it would be hard to argue against their progress in that regard. The new Destroyer Evoluzion line does return some of that louder flare of old, and I'm pretty excited about that new line myself.
i agree..the detail and buiild of a Phase 3 or X7 is spectacular. can't wait to see the new Evoluzion.

RISE
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RISE » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:22 am

While I have no experience with the MB of "olden day" I do have to say....X2....as Gary said, pictures don't do the Phase III and X-7 any justice. To have one in hand and actually fish with them brings a level of enjoyment/refinement/and just plain "bad@ss-ness" that I have yet to find in other rods.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:03 am

My Black Jungle is an absolute beauty. None of my Shimano or Dobyns rods compare.

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GAMEOVER » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:18 am

I just miss my Elseil Evo from back in the day thats one rod I regret selling. :crying:

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:04 am

I have my Diablo from back in the day, coming up on 9 years. Pure artistry.

Mus8
Angler
Angler

Post by Mus8 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:37 am

My X7 Destroyer The Shading X and Super Eiger are beautiful rods to look at. But more importantly, great to fish with.

:D

surferdave
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by surferdave » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:37 pm

I just received a phase 3 nautilus, my first MB rod. The fit and finish, attention to detail along with clean lines and top notch construction put it above and beyond any other rod I own by FAR. I'm not big on flash and honestly feel the use of exotic woods in the ARMS challenge along with some of their bridge handle designs of the past would only add to weight.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:27 pm

Big Megabass fan, but have to say the older rods are more appealing (and exotic) than their newer offerings IMO.

Nothing wrong with the the new stuff as far as detailing and fit & finish and performance, just more pedestrian looking than the old Evos. Even the rod sleeves shipping with the new models lack the flair of the old ones.

To appreciate the newer rod I find myself sliding my glasses down my nose and rotating the rod to observe the wraps and hardware detail. Before, with the older Evos, you could just hold the rod in your hands and look down at it to see the artistry. Closer examination only reveled more excellent detailing of the wraps and hardware.

The new ARMS Challenge rods do look nice are are exceptionally appealing, but given a choice between the Challenge and the Complete, I'd grab the older ARMS Complete.

The new MB Pagani rods are one exception as they are definitely awesome and works of art (close up or just in your hand). I'm hoping the new Evo models recaptures some of that "old Megabass magic".

Just my opinion, never been accused of having taste anywhere other than my mouth. :lol:

kakaryan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by kakaryan » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:33 am

USA-RET wrote:Big Megabass fan, but have to say the older rods are more appealing (and exotic) than their newer offerings IMO.

Nothing wrong with the the new stuff as far as detailing and fit & finish and performance, just more pedestrian looking than the old Evos. Even the rod sleeves shipping with the new models lack the flair of the old ones.

To appreciate the newer rod I find myself sliding my glasses down my nose and rotating the rod to observe the wraps and hardware detail. Before, with the older Evos, you could just hold the rod in your hands and look down at it to see the artistry. Closer examination only reveled more excellent detailing of the wraps and hardware.

The new ARMS Challenge rods do look nice are are exceptionally appealing, but given a choice between the Challenge and the Complete, I'd grab the older ARMS Complete.

The new MB Pagani rods are one exception as they are definitely awesome and works of art (close up or just in your hand). I'm hoping the new Evo models recaptures some of that "old Megabass magic".

Just my opinion, never been accused of having taste anywhere other than my mouth. :lol:
Grab an ARMS Complete for your Monoblock? :mrgreen:

kakaryan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by kakaryan » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:34 am

bronzefly wrote:
Several of the X7 rods feature the "Oracle Dragon" in the split between the grips, and all the X7 rods have beautifully done, classy thread wraps, and a stunning looking blank.
May I know which models of the X7 have the "Oracle Dragon"? That's beautiful. :D

bigreddog
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigreddog » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:56 am

kakaryan wrote:
bronzefly wrote:
Several of the X7 rods feature the "Oracle Dragon" in the split between the grips, and all the X7 rods have beautifully done, classy thread wraps, and a stunning looking blank.
May I know which models of the X7 have the "Oracle Dragon"? That's beautiful. :D
According to Megabass.co.jp:

F4-68X7 · F4-611X7 · F5-75X7 · F5st-611X7 · F5-1/2-70X7 · F6-68X7 · F7-71X7 · FX-710X7

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:33 am