SRD for cranks, shallow or deep

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

SRD for cranks, shallow or deep

Post by Johnny A » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:34 am

Has anybody tried the MB Super Red Demon for cranking?

arbogastjunkie
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: SRD for cranks, shallow or deep

Post by arbogastjunkie » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:16 am

I have not, but it is definitely not what I look for in a cranking rod. I think the Destroyer Red Demon is a phenomenal mid cranking rod and use the Black Python for deep cranking.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:14 am

arbogastjunkie wrote:I have not, but it is definitely not what I look for in a cranking rod. I think the Destroyer Red Demon is a phenomenal mid cranking rod and use the Black Python for deep cranking.

I was going to use mine to toss shallow cranks like the LC 3.5 or the OSP Blitz Max but never less than half oz and always near cover. I prefer heavier sticks with handle behind the reel seat. I'll check it out.

TeamDaiwaRick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by TeamDaiwaRick » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:41 am

I bought a LC SKT Magnum at the end of last year. Im planning to throw it with my SRD.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:49 am

I've thrown 10XD and SKT Mag baits, along with a few other jumbo cranks with the SRD and it handles them surprisingly well. The Power Versatile is the better of the two as a jumbo cranker, the handle is just a little on the short side for what most want in a big crank rod, but the blank is magic.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:08 am

bronzefly wrote:I've thrown 10XD and SKT Mag baits, along with a few other jumbo cranks with the SRD and it handles them surprisingly well. The Power Versatile is the better of the two as a jumbo cranker, the handle is just a little on the short side for what most want in a big crank rod, but the blank is magic.
We've spoken a time or two, you know I'm more into bass on shark gear! :big grin:

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:21 am

Tried the SRD for shallow crank, LC 3/3.5 (don't remember). Don't think so! The new Falcon Low Rider MH 7' on the other hand worked pretty well with the OSP HPF Crank. The Super Orochi was good with the Vision 110.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:28 am

Johnny A wrote:Tried the SRD for shallow crank, LC 3/3.5 (don't remember). Don't think so! The new Falcon Low Rider MH 7' on the other hand worked pretty well with the OSP HPF Crank. The Super Orochi was good with the Vision 110.
Makes sense that the LC 3.5 is too small for the SRD, even for someone who likes shark rods for bass :lol: Like I said, I've tossed the 2 oz class cranks like the SKT Mags, Henrietta, 10XD which are much bigger and heavier than the 3.5 and the SRD does well with them. The Power Versatile is an awesome mag cranker and can handle the "little" LC 3.5 type baits much better than the SRD.