MB Western Flip reviews?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
RISE
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

MB Western Flip reviews?

Post by RISE » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:57 pm

Anybody here have one for a while that would be willing to give a review? Where does it shine? I've been eyeing one for long cast dropshotting and possibly light mojo rigs. I'm still having "issues" with the 2 piece design as it just seems like it would eventually get loose our twist under load. The idea of having to check it is a big turn off. Would like some honest input if anyone has any.

Thanks!!

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: MB Western Flip reviews?

Post by bronzefly » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:19 pm

I've fished the Western Flip a lot, for many months now. The "off set handle" design is very common on many high end JDM rods. It's never presented me with any issues and I own Evergreen and Gan Craft rods with the same design, and have fished them for years. Once together, you wouldn't know it was technically a "two piece" rod since the blank slides so far down into the handle. My experience is that they stay in place very well. It's extremely infrequent that there is any twist, at least with the rods I've listed.

As far as the rod goes, it's impressive. Of course, light, crisp, and highly sensitive. It handles "power shotting" beautifully, as well as an array of lighter bottom contact stuff, and can handle moving baits of many shapes and sizes easily. Hope this helps and you know you want it :lol:

SWH
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by SWH » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:34 am

You'd not know it's a two-piece by fishing it. I like it for moving baits.

Derek777
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Derek777 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:43 am

i have this rod.
it is awesome. that it is a 2 piece is a non issue. set it and forget it. it's super sensitive, and is a logical longer extension of my eiger northwall, except that its way way more sensitive. its my favorite stick, (until i get the simoom into my hands, then we'll see :big grin: ) but i can say i have absolutely nothing negative whatsoever to say about it, including the 2 pieces. every time ive used it is just blows me away. its 7'6" of pure unadulterated fishing sex.

RISE
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RISE » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:04 am

So....I take it you really like it Derek :lol: What are your primary uses for it? And which technique is it best at in your opinion?

Thanks

Derek777
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Derek777 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:59 am

i havent tried and dropshotting with it, but i will come ice out, and i think it will be perfect for it, especially for pitching and flipping to targets, which i love doing when i dropshot. i have mainly used keitech casting jigs with it and it has been unreal.

RISE
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RISE » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:20 am

Sounds good. What weights are you throwing in the Keitech jigs....effectively? Are you throwing them around any cover or in open water or.....?

Thanks man

MontaKen
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MontaKen » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:30 pm

Does anyone has tried it with deep crankbaits too!?
I'm curious.. :roll: :D

rugbyfisherman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rugbyfisherman » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:51 am

MontaKen wrote:Does anyone has tried it with deep crankbaits too!?
I have thrown Megabass deep X150s with mine and it handled them fine. I would think anything deeper, or bigger bodied (more drag), would warrant a heavier power rod.

RISE
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RISE » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:40 am

rugbyfisherman wrote:
MontaKen wrote:Does anyone has tried it with deep crankbaits too!?
I have thrown Megabass deep X150s with mine and it handled them fine. I would think anything deeper, or bigger bodied (more drag), would warrant a heavier power rod.
Good to know, just seems like it would be one heck of an expensive moving bait rod... ;)

MontaKen
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MontaKen » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:30 am

Thank you ;)