outdated legendary tackle

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: outdated legendary tackle

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:58 am

I am not sure if it constitutes for "outdated" but the Steez Fle-X-Lite is my favorite rod. For a moving bait rod to be 4.4oz, sensitive, and shapeshift the way it does, even today, is pretty amazing. I do not think there is a rod today that can do what the 7ft Medium Fle-X-Lite can do.

I believe the rod came out in 2008
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Susitnasalmonguide
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Susitnasalmonguide » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:10 pm

Mitchell 300 spinning reel -- one of the first spinning reels that made it to the USA. My Grandfather purchased one of the early ones available, long before I was born, and they were still a top selling spinning reel when I was in high school. They were a loss leader advertised by lots of different businesses to bring customers into stores at the start of each fishing season.

Susitnasalmonguide
Quantum, HL Outdoors - ESB Bobbers, Pautzke Bait Company, Sufix

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:25 am

ccass wrote:I am not sure if it constitutes for "outdated" but the Steez Fle-X-Lite is my favorite rod. For a moving bait rod to be 4.4oz, sensitive, and shapeshift the way it does, even today, is pretty amazing. I do not think there is a rod today that can do what the 7ft Medium Fle-X-Lite can do.

I believe the rod came out in 2008
Always liked those rods, if they weren't split grip I'd probably own a gang of them. Always wanted to try that med light one, seems like it could be money for honey b's.

Dexter
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dexter » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:12 am

x2 with the mitch 300....must have owned 5 or 6. Indestructible. Match with an eagle claw or fenwick rod..oooh baby!

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:33 am

For us older guys, Abu 5500C

JB in SC
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JB in SC » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:28 am

Most of us that were raised on Zebco's moved to Abu Garcia bait casters in the late 60's. I don't recall what I paid for my first 5000 in 1969, but they weren't cheap. Garcia Conolon rods were nice for their era. Of course the Mitchell's were the big deal in the 60's. I loved them, since they made a left hand model (but weren't easy to find).

I have a Mitchell 407 on a Conolon 7' popping rod I've owned and fished since the 70's 8-)

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:37 am

Is the Ryobi V Mag legendary? I picked one of these up like new in box from Japan to play with. It's horrid but it is part of history.

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:15 am

I still use and have caught one of my largest smallmouth on a Lew's (Shimano) BB-1.

Black Haze
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Black Haze » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:48 am

Rods-BCR GLXs

Silas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Silas » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:31 am

So many memories! Being 74, On my way I've owned several Legendary ones.

I still have 3 Lew Childre BB1 reels. They were hot stuff down in the Swamps!

I bought the Abu 500C and then went Light with the sweet 1500C.

Pflueger Supreme was Lord of the Bayous many years ago.

Daiwa Procaster SM1 and 2. Fantastic casters on the original Lightning rod, the first graphite rod of its time here.

Got a couple of original classic SUSTAIN spinning reels. They were among the most aesthetically beautiful to me But the MITCHELL 308 was my favorite!!

Just picked up a Daiwa TD-ITO and J-Dream both from Japan. Put some parts and bearings in ITO and it's like new.

Still have the Curado 50E. My original Red Scorpion 1000 would outcast it. But nothing looks better on the Green Dobyns rod.

Alpha Ito was a magical reel. Worried I woul crack the plastic sideplare (never did!). The SOL and Red Airy Pixy and Purple Alpha of 2004 are excellent too on the famous but discontinued Shimano CUMULUS ROD. Matched the Purple Alpha , stunning combo

Aahh! I love the Oldies.

"Make new friends but KEEP the old;
One's like Silver , but the other, GOLD!"

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:58 am

TD Advantage 153HSTA Supertuned

Beast of a reel. Mine's still chugging along quite nicely on my lipless crankbait rig.

Add to the list yet another vote for the SS Tournament lineup of spinning reels. All sting, no bling. When you're in continuous production unchanged for 30 years, you're doing something right.

And lastly, what would a legendary tackle thread be without the Zebco spincast reel ? ... For many of us it was step # 1 of our lifelong journey. It needs no explanation whatsoever.

stingray23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by stingray23 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:55 pm

From my era as a kid, I'm gonna say the Daiwa SS Tournament spinning reel. My dad bought one back in '92. Still have it. I remember it fondly as some of the big dogs back then on the Bassmasters tour used them. Its a great reel.

Dug
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dug » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:01 pm

Just because I haven't seen it listed yet, I am going to add the Abu Garcia 4600C, a surprisingly amazing casting reel.

Dug

Hanover
Angler
Angler

Post by Hanover » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:55 pm

Little bitty japanese made reels......

Daiwa Mini-mite ( 6.2 oz)

Shakespeare Sigma 025 (5.8 oz)

Still hanging on to them..outdated legends?

Last edited by Hanover on Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hanover
Angler
Angler

Post by Hanover » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:43 pm

Thought I'd second this Scorpion 1000/1001 that was already mentioned. Deserving because it was one of the reels that started the official JDM craze. The Elvis of fishing reels. \:D/ Better reels out there now but it was one sweet reel at the time. I bought two from an outfit called Profishing Network but never used this one.

Last edited by Hanover on Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.