Which Orochi X4 or Destroyer P3?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
JWY
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Which Orochi X4 or Destroyer P3?

Post by JWY » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:34 pm

Greetings my fellow fishermen/women,

I need some advice on which rod should I get to pair with my Daiwa Ryoga 1016 for primarily but not exclusively jerkbaiting. I need a long-ish rod between 6'8 to 7'6 for long casting ability.

The lures I will most likely to be using, from light to heavy, are:
Dog-X SW (1/4 oz)
FX9 SW (3/8 oz)
X-80 SW (3/8 oz)
Onten Jr SW (approx. 7/16 oz with upgraded trebles)
Oneten SW (1/2 oz)
Giant Dog-X SW (5/8 oz)
Realis Jerkbait 120SP (approx. 19 g with upgraded trebles), and
XPod (3/4 oz)

I will also be attempting to throw unweighted medium to big soft plastic swimbaits such as 4" to 5" Keitech Swing Impact Fat (I know the rod probably will not cast these very well)

The set up will be my medium heavy to heavy barramundi outfit.

The models I have been looking at are:
F4.1/2-70X4 Black ELSEIL
F5-68X4 Super Orochi
F6-72X4 Destruction
F5-70X SUPER BANDERSNATCH
F5-76X NAUTILUS
F6-69X SUPER DESTROYER

Any input would be much appreciated.

Yours truly, Jack :big grin:

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Which Orochi X4 or Destroyer P3?

Post by Finnz922 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:50 pm

I have the Black Elseil, Super Orochi, and the Destruction. Based on what you are throwing I would recommend the Destruction. The Super Orochi is probably not the best for long casts and you will really be pushing the top end of the BE's lure rating. The Destruction can handle a wide variety of baits and is plenty strong for larger fish. It's only downfall is the slightly longer handle than most rods. Although, it will come in handy on long casts. I live in Nebraska so obviously no experience with Barramundi. My 2 cents.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:54 pm

Destruction. IMO

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:44 am

Do not recommend the Super Orochi for your listed applications. Great rod but this would be pushing the limits of capabilities.

Phippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Phippy » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:59 am

I have no problems throwing a Duo Realis Pencil 110 or 120SP jerkbait with my X4 Rattle Viper TG. Some of the X4 rods that I've fished seemed a little underrated lure rating wise.

JWY
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JWY » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:28 pm

Thank you, gentelmen. I think I will go for the Destruction! :D

MontaKen
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MontaKen » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:06 pm

Hi, I've the Destruction 72H (Orochi Huge Contact series) and I think that's too stiff to cast well 1/4 to 3/8 lures you use, it's perfect for 1/2 to 2oz baits and nice for the 2,5oz Silent Killer too.. Maybe the Nautilus will be a better choice imho..

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:12 pm

I agree - the Destruction is a little on the heavy side for the lighter baits.

I'd go with the Nautilus and never look back...

JWY
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JWY » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:58 pm

MontaKen wrote:Hi, I've the Destruction 72H (Orochi Huge Contact series) and I think that's too stiff to cast well 1/4 to 3/8 lures you use, it's perfect for 1/2 to 2oz baits and nice for the 2,5oz Silent Killer too.. Maybe the Nautilus will be a better choice imho..
bronzefly wrote:I agree - the Destruction is a little on the heavy side for the lighter baits.

Thank you for pointing that out - from what I have read, the Destruction has quite a nice tip. It might not cast those 3/8 oz lures well but it would still do the job, right?

Being the potential rod for my heavy barramundi outfit, it is likely that I would use it more often for heavier baits (>= 1/2 oz) such as Oneten, Realis 120SP, Giant Dog-X, Xpod, etc. I thought the Medium Fast action on the Nautilus is not necessarily the best for jerkbait? Taking the above two factors into consideration, would you still recommend the Nautilus? If so, I will go for it instead of the Destruction. :D

I really appreciate your input. Many thanks.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:35 pm

JWY wrote:
MontaKen wrote:Hi, I've the Destruction 72H (Orochi Huge Contact series) and I think that's too stiff to cast well 1/4 to 3/8 lures you use, it's perfect for 1/2 to 2oz baits and nice for the 2,5oz Silent Killer too.. Maybe the Nautilus will be a better choice imho..
bronzefly wrote:I agree - the Destruction is a little on the heavy side for the lighter baits.

Thank you for pointing that out - from what I have read, the Destruction has quite a nice tip. It might not cast those 3/8 oz lures well but it would still do the job, right?

Being the potential rod for my heavy barramundi outfit, it is likely that I would use it more often for heavier baits (>= 1/2 oz) such as Oneten, Realis 120SP, Giant Dog-X, Xpod, etc. Would you still recommend the Nautilus? If so, I will go for it instead of the Destruction. :D

I have both and would still recommend the Destruction over the Nautilus based on the weights of the majority of the baits you intend to throw. While 1/4 ounce isn't the sweet spot for the Destruction, it can throw baits of that weight with little effort. At 3/8ths ounce, it is more than capable.

Again, if I were targeting larger fish, plan on using larger baits (or fishing heavier cover) and putting together a Heavy outfit, I would grab my Destruction over my Nautilus. If on the other hand, the majority of baits I planned on using leaned towards the 1/2 ounce and lower range I'd grab the Nautilus. Not to imply the Nautilus isn't capable, it is. However, in my hands the Destruction adds that little extra overall power.

You'd probably be happy with either rod regardless (I personally would be happier with the Destruction for the lure weights you choose).

MontaKen
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MontaKen » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:38 am

I haven't tried the F5 Nautilus..but, in my opinion, the 3oz Destruction is not the best choice for throw mostly 3/8 to 5/8 lures.. It'll do the job, but you'll not use all its potential ;)
I think that one of these:

Destroyer Evoluzion Big Taper 7' Super Diablo
Destroyer Phase III 7' Super Bandersnatch
Destroyer Orochi X4 7'11" Seven Eleven
Destroyer Orochi X4 8' Black Python

will be better for work your baits and will cast better, with more backbone than Nautilus, if you think that it'll not be enough ;)

phiten
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by phiten » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:34 pm

Ur lures are not that heavy. I would pick f570x. More versatile for jb and top water.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:51 pm

JWY wrote: The set up will be my medium heavy to heavy barramundi outfit.
From what I understand, it's a bloody big fish :lol:
JWY wrote:

Being the potential rod for my heavy barramundi outfit, it is likely that I would use it more often for heavier baits (>= 1/2 oz) such as Oneten, Realis 120SP, Giant Dog-X, Xpod, etc. I thought the Medium Fast action on the Nautilus is not necessarily the best for jerkbait? Taking the above two factors into consideration, would you still recommend the Nautilus? If so, I will go for it instead of the Destruction. :D

First off, I think you'll be happy with either rod - they're both fine sticks. Maybe throw the Black Jungle Deep Crank Slow Roll into the mix for fun because it's really in the zone with your listed baits! To answer your question, yes the Destruction will do the job and is helped greatly with the right line and reel for the lighter stuff. Your original list includes some pretty light baits that the Nautilus handles better than the Destruction in general.

I've thrown everything from 1/4 oz jigs to 1oz spinner baits on the Nautilus, super spooks to Pointer 128's, Pointer 78's to RC 1.5 type square bills. It isn't the absolute perfect choice for each of these presentations, it handles them all well enough because it's highly versatile. It's so sensitive that it's hard not to use it for some kind of bottom contact presentation however. This is one significant advantage over the Destruction, though not critical in your situation for moving baits. The Destruction does have a more moderate flex overall and has more power as well. I rarely use it with anything 1/2 oz or less except for the occasional swim jig with a large trailer. I could see either, but the Nautilus would still get my vote out of your original list.

JWY
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JWY » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:17 am

bronzefly wrote:
They can get bloody big :D (120cm plus, 35kg plus) but most fish I catch are around 50 cm to 90 cm range. Even at 50 cm, they are no wusses.
bronzefly wrote:First off, I think you'll be happy with either rod - they're both fine sticks. Maybe throw the Black Jungle Deep Crank Slow Roll into the mix for fun because it's really in the zone with your listed baits! To answer your question, yes the Destruction will do the job and is helped greatly with the right line and reel for the lighter stuff. Your original list includes some pretty light baits that the Nautilus handles better than the Destruction in general.

I've thrown everything from 1/4 oz jigs to 1oz spinner baits on the Nautilus, super spooks to Pointer 128's, Pointer 78's to RC 1.5 type square bills. It isn't the absolute perfect choice for each of these presentations, it handles them all well enough because it's highly versatile. It's so sensitive that it's hard not to use it for some kind of bottom contact presentation however. This is one significant advantage over the Destruction, though not critical in your situation for moving baits. The Destruction does have a more moderate flex overall and has more power as well. I rarely use it with anything 1/2 oz or less except for the occasional swim jig with a large trailer. I could see either, but the Nautilus would still get my vote out of your original list.
Thank you so much for the input, bronzefly. I appreciated that you spent the time to explain and shared your personal experience on these rods. I have already chosen the Destruction, reasons being: (1) I forgot to name a few very often used lures in my original list - Ima Sasuke 105 (13 g) and 120 (17 g), Ima Honey Trap 70S (14 g) and 95S (25 g), Ima Barbarossa 95S (22 g) & Evergreen Sea Drive (24 g I think?); (2) Being 7'5", Nautilus is a tad too long; (3) I saved about A$100 by getting the Orochi X4 instead of the Destroyer P3, and the money goes into funding a Megbass SSXX-72ML ;)

Thank you everyone for your time and input. Here are 2 photos of a 71cm saltwater specimen I caught a few weeks back. Enjoy.
Attachments
IMAG0462.jpg
IMAG0462.jpg (77.45 KiB) Viewed 6087 times
IMAG0461-001.jpg
IMAG0461-001.jpg (80.56 KiB) Viewed 6087 times

kakaryan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by kakaryan » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:51 am

JWY wrote:
bronzefly wrote:
They can get bloody big :D (120cm plus, 35kg plus) but most fish I catch are around 50 cm to 90 cm range. Even at 50 cm, they are no wusses.
bronzefly wrote:First off, I think you'll be happy with either rod - they're both fine sticks. Maybe throw the Black Jungle Deep Crank Slow Roll into the mix for fun because it's really in the zone with your listed baits! To answer your question, yes the Destruction will do the job and is helped greatly with the right line and reel for the lighter stuff. Your original list includes some pretty light baits that the Nautilus handles better than the Destruction in general.

Thank you so much for the input, bronzefly. I appreciated that you spent the time to explain and shared your personal experience on these rods. I have already chosen the Destruction, reasons being: (1) I forgot to name a few very often used lures in my original list - Ima Sasuke 105 (13 g) and 120 (17 g), Ima Honey Trap 70S (14 g) and 95S (25 g), Ima Barbarossa 95S (22 g) & Evergreen Sea Drive (24 g I think?); (2) Being 7'5", Nautilus is a tad too long; (3) I saved about A$100 by getting the Orochi X4 instead of the Destroyer P3, and the money goes into funding a Megbass SSXX-72ML ;)

Thank you everyone for your time and input. Here are 2 photos of a 71cm saltwater specimen I caught a few weeks back. Enjoy.
Nice fish. Are you the mate who pm me on BM? :big grin: