High End Rod for Backpacking

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Gblaze
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

High End Rod for Backpacking

Post by Gblaze » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:37 pm

Hey Guys-

Looking for a rod I can bring with me into the woods on treks. Something that breaks down and wont get tangled up while going through heavy brush.

Not sure of the application but was thinking more on the finesse side - so I can fish streams as well as larger ponds.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: High End Rod for Backpacking

Post by bronzefly » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:46 pm

Have you checked out the new Megabass Racing Condition World Edition rods? They're all two piece... they have several casting and spinning models. We are still accepting pre-orders on these at The Tackle Trap and they're expected to start shipping very soon :big grin:

Spinning:
http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... 2_882_1118

Casting:
http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... 2_882_1119

phiten
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by phiten » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:58 pm

megabass x4 cyclone secret service!

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:56 am

For backpacking I found the best route was to go custom. I'm in the process of gathering enough money to get my parts for my custom backpacking rod. I'll be using a Batson XF 764-4 fly blank. It is a 7'-6" 4 piece model. It is a 4wt fly blank with an Xtra Fast action which lends itself to casting heavier lures. It will handle lures right around 1/4 oz and down, perfect for finesse. The extra length allows longer casts with the smaller lures. I'll be building it with Fuji TiSic guides, Fuji Skeleton reelseat, and eva handles. Might be a bit light for you, but it will be the perfect ultra finesse backpack spinning rod. I'll be using mine in alpine lakes for trout.

aussiebasser
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by aussiebasser » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:40 am

Have a look at the Smith Ltd. Trout'n'Spin. Breaks down to about 18" sections or less. It's a threadline rod.

FrankW
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FrankW » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:01 am

Hi Gblaze,

Where are you hiking? Are you looking for a bass rod or a fly rod. There are several good fly rods made for back packing. If you are looking for a fly rod, I can help you with that. Especially if you want a trout rod. No need to go custom. What is your budget?

Frank

jowo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jowo » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:30 am

Hey Bronzefly, do those MB RC rods come with a hard rod tube?

Paul Shibata
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Paul Shibata » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:46 am

After having tried many multi-piece pack rods, there is no doubt that the GLX Escape Travel series are the best. The additional joints associated with multi-piece rods present performance challenges. I would suspect that most of the members of TT use single piece rods exclusively as we recognize the performance benefits of the one piece blank. Each joint on a multi-piece rod represents an interruption of the energy transmission up and down the blank in comparison to a one piece rod. This impact to performance is most significant on the joints which yield "flat spots" when the blank is flexed. The patented "bubble ferrule" technology employed in the creation of every joint on each multi-piece G.Loomis rod enables the joints to bend and flex in harmony with the rest of the blank. Subsequently the energy which travels down the blank during hooksetting, casting etc and back up the blank to identify the presence of a fish is negligibly dampened by the additional joints in comparison to conventional ferrules. Based on this, my quick and dirty test is to flex a multi-piece rod to reveal flat spots if any. Unfortunately almost all of them do thus identifying a performance sacrifice. The painstakingly difficult task of hand tuning each joint as part of the bubble ferrule technology employed by Loomis is always justified but in this instance positively acknowledged for the associated performance benefits.

I apologize for the length of my response but hopefully it will serve as a testimony to my identification of the incredible performance of the Escape Travel Series of rods by G.Loomis.

http://www.gloomis.com/publish/content/ ... eries.html

jamesdta
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jamesdta » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:48 am

I would look at 783-2 piece loomis glx. Just so happens to be one in BST. Finest 2pc you can buy except maybe those new megabass wold edition rods.

vinnieb729
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by vinnieb729 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:08 am

I'm not sure which models will have them, but choose a rod with a "spigot" ferrule if possible. They are common on fly rods and I've seen more and more bass rods with them. Do a little searching on this type of connection and you'll find most can't tell it's not a one piece rod. It allows a smoother bend in the rod through the ferrule...no flat spots in the bend like a standard tip over butt connection.

jamesdta
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jamesdta » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:24 am

I think fenwick river runner has that spigot system.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:35 am

jowo wrote:Hey Bronzefly, do those MB RC rods come with a hard rod tube?
We haven't received our first order yet, but my guess would be that they don't. I'll inquire however.

bigreddog
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigreddog » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:05 pm

phiten wrote:megabass x4 cyclone secret service!
x2

To me, a pack rod is something that breaks down into a package shorter than even a 2-piece rod. Both X4 Secret Service rods do just that (there's also a finesse spinnning rod -- the f3-72x4s-ss whipsnake).

There are also the 2 new Megabass Benten pack spinning rods from the "Ippukan" series, which is supposed to highlight the simple joys of fishing rather than pure performance. These rods apparently use a similar blank design to the Pagani Air rods and they look pretty amazing.

http://www.megabass.co.jp/site/products ... n-benten7/
http://www.megabass.co.jp/site/products ... -benten65/

Deps has also announced a telescopic spinning rod -- the Sidewinder "Carrying Model"

http://www.depsweb.co.jp/dpm/pc/item201 ... model.html

And of course, there are a ton of JDM trout pack rods out there as well...

Gblaze
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Gblaze » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:32 am

Thanks Guys!!

Wow- great advice- Gives me a LOT to research on.....

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:06 am

On the less expensive side of things - Fenwick Methods
http://tackletour.com/reviewicast13fenwick.html

Kind of a cool idea.