Abu Morrum Brake System

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
bassm1n
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Abu Morrum Brake System

Post by bassm1n » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:45 pm

Can someone explain the diff between the US IVCB-IV brake system and the JDM MagTrax brake.

igl00jx
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Abu Morrum Brake System

Post by igl00jx » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:36 am

The difference is the US model uses centrifugal brakes, whereas the JDM model uses mag brake.

zenbassr
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zenbassr » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:17 am

bassm1n wrote:Can someone explain the diff between the US IVCB-IV brake system and the JDM MagTrax brake.
ABU has used both systems in the Morrum SX line for years, with only minor differences in the new ZX.

in short, IVCB has brake arms attached to the spool. adjusting the external brake dial moves the internal brake plate closer/further away from the brake arms. braking effect is produced by friction from the arms against the plate.

in the Magtrax system, no braking components are attached to the spool. adjusting the external dial moves the magnet assembly closer/further away from the spool.

you can see both systems in this link:

http://www.avail.jp/shop/old_products/m ... .htm#howto

if you compare to the ZX you'll notice that IVCB-IV simply means 4 brake arms instead of 2, and in the latest Magtrax there are more installed magnets in the ZX than what was used for the SX...

bassm1n
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassm1n » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:38 am

Whar are the benefits of one over the other.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:35 am

bassm1n wrote:Whar are the benefits of one over the other.
Both are effective. Which one is a matter of personal taste, I think. Casting with each is a little different and your casting style will usually determine which works better for you personally. Experience is the best teacher. On the older Abu's, I prefer the magnetic spool control myself-mostly because of the convenience of external adjustment. I believe that the ICVB does have external adjustment on some, but not on others. Can't recall-it has been several years since I last used one with the centrifugal brakes.

williamjbrett
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by williamjbrett » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:38 pm

Does anyone know if the Abu Garcia JDM Morrum ZX 3600 Mag reel is approved for use in saltwater? Thanks.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:19 pm

williamjbrett wrote:Does anyone know if the Abu Garcia JDM Morrum ZX 3600 Mag reel is approved for use in saltwater? Thanks.
Japan Tackle lists it as fine for saltwater use. It has HPCR bearings(corrosion-resistant). Link below lists both the 1600 and 3600. 8-)
http://japantackle.com/ABU/Abu_Morrum_ZX1600MAG.htm