Conquest 51 or TD-Z R+ for crankbaits?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Conquest 51 or TD-Z R+ for crankbaits?

Post by hungry_cow » Sat May 25, 2013 2:23 pm

I am trying to decide what reel to get for mostly throwing 1/4 to 3/8 oz crankbaits shallow to medium diving & the occasional spinnerbait or buzzbait. I am thinking either a Shimano Conquest 51 or a Daiwa TD-Z R+ would work nice, which would be better for this application? The TD-ito could be an option to. Most important is casting ability and retrieve.

I have a PXL Type R now which I love and use for worms, jigs, bottom bouncing baits and am looking for another reel for my moving baits.

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Conquest 51 or TD-Z R+ for crankbaits?

Post by steve1206 » Sat May 25, 2013 9:40 pm

Just remember the CQ 50 is very limited in line size (spinnerbait/buzzbait apps-less so if using braid)...and has a very low IPT (buzzbaits)...

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Sun May 26, 2013 12:20 am

I've got 20lb fins wind tamer on mine and it fits approx 90-100yds of it. If that's enough then go for it. In terms of cranking ability, it has plenty of torque for a reel this size. Not that it helps me...I seem to have an inability to catch anything on crank baits and spinners.

kakaryan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by kakaryan » Sun May 26, 2013 3:06 am

I am using my TD-ito for these applications. The 6.3:1 gear ratio speed is the most versatile for me, whatever I am using hard lures or soft plastics. Upgrade with a pair of tuned spool bearings and it can cover your finesse need as well. Mine could cast 1/8oz as good as stock Pixy. :mrgreen: Although I have a Megabass IS finesse spool for it for pure finesse purpose, but the 103 stock spool is more versatile and could launch heavy baits as well.

I love my CQ51, but as said, its line capacity and low IPT limit its versatility. It doesn't cast as far as well (brake design, smaller spool dia). The CQ101 would be more a "everyday reel".

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun May 26, 2013 3:24 pm

Agreed that a CQ100/101 is better for the lures and techs you have listed.

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Mon May 27, 2013 2:27 am

I think I will go with the TD-Z since it doesn't sound like the Conquest 51 would be quite as good for a more all around reel and the 101 is a little bigger than I would like. Now I just need to decide between the R + and the Ito

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon May 27, 2013 2:41 am

hungry_cow wrote:I think I will go with the TD-Z since it doesn't sound like the Conquest 51 would be quite as good for a more all around reel and the 101 is a little bigger than I would like. Now I just need to decide between the R + and the Ito
Sounds like you are LH? I believe the Type R + LH (103ML) to be 5.7:1 and the Ito LH (103HL model) to be 6.3:1.

I personally feel that the Type R + has a more usable magforce control for all around vs the Ito, which is a faster spool. Both will be very well rounded reels for lots of techs otherwise.

Good luck.

Katron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Katron » Mon May 27, 2013 11:01 am

Get the TDZ, much more versatile. Also consider getting a Steez 100HA spool for it if you want more capacity.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Mon May 27, 2013 12:09 pm

dragon1 wrote:
hungry_cow wrote:I think I will go with the TD-Z since it doesn't sound like the Conquest 51 would be quite as good for a more all around reel and the 101 is a little bigger than I would like. Now I just need to decide between the R + and the Ito
Sounds like you are LH? I believe the Type R + LH (103ML) to be 5.7:1 and the Ito LH (103HL model) to be 6.3:1.

I personally feel that the Type R + has a more usable magforce control for all around vs the Ito, which is a faster spool. Both will be very well rounded reels for lots of techs otherwise.

Good luck.
Wow! So the ito has a faster spool than even the type R+? That would be the one to get if I get one.
What about the AOI??

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Mon May 27, 2013 12:33 pm

Sounds like the Type R+ may be the way to go if it is a little more controllable. That is the only slight trouble I have with the PX Type R is when I cast aggressively it can be a little backlash prone so I have to be careful with the thumb. But it is fine because I rarely have to cast hard with jigs and worms usually making softer roll casts or pitching. But with a crankbait I will want to throw it a little harder sometimes. I won't use over 10 lb test so the 103 size should be fine.

And yes, I have to use a left handed baitcast. I started by getting a right handed Revo MGX but I couldn't get good hook sets with the rod in my left hand after always using spinning tackle for everything. That was a nice reel and almost impossible to backlash even with the tension knob and brakes turned as low as they would go, but felt like a cheap kids toy compared to the PX type R so I had to get rid of it and am looking for its replacement!

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon May 27, 2013 2:41 pm

Mcyl wrote:
dragon1 wrote:
hungry_cow wrote:I think I will go with the TD-Z since it doesn't sound like the Conquest 51 would be quite as good for a more all around reel and the 101 is a little bigger than I would like. Now I just need to decide between the R+ and the Ito

I personally feel that the Type R+ has a more usable magforce control for all around vs the Ito, which is a faster spool. Both will be very well rounded reels for lots of techs otherwise.

Good luck.
Wow! So the ito has a faster spool than even the type R+? That would be the one to get if I get one.
What about the AOI??
TDZ Type R and TD Ito have the fastest spools due to lesser mag braking than the Type R+ or AOI. The AOI shares a lot with the Type R+; spool, paint scheme, handle aside. I like the Type R or TD Ito for pure long distance casting with "aerodynamic lures", or pitching & casting plastics and jigs, or topwaters, or jerkbaits, cranks...just about anything. This said, the Type R/TD Ito is not as controllable and forgiving as the Type R+...you will find this to be more evident when there are fairly strong headwinds or crosswinds.

FWIW, the max distance for both the Type R and Type R+ is typically a wash, however the Type R+ braking system will allow for more controlled casting, pitching, roll casting, side arm, overhead, etc., with more types of wind resistant or aerodynamic lures. For someone who may not have experience with Daiwa's faster magforce spools, or may not yet have an educated thumb - it is very likely that they will have better and more consistent casting results with the Type R+ vs the Type R/TD Ito.

http://www.japantackle.com/Daiwa/Daiwa_TD_Aoi.htm

My thoughts anyway.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Mon May 27, 2013 5:32 pm

I've seen some type R+ with a red clutch button as well. I like that, great for casting without letting go of the reel. I palm my reel the whole time but the clutch button doesn't click over easily enough for it to be comfortable

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue May 28, 2013 3:00 am

Mcyl wrote:I've seen some type R+ with a red clutch button as well. I like that, great for casting without letting go of the reel. I palm my reel the whole time but the clutch button doesn't click over easily enough for it to be comfortable
That should be a LH "flipping" platform for TDZs, JDM TDXs and, IIRC, the USDM TDS/TDX reels.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Tue May 28, 2013 7:59 am

Ah right..I'll keep an eye out for a good condition tdz type r+ then...
I got one question for all, you guys said the cq50 has too little capacity for crank baiting. How do you manage to cast the most un aero lure that far? Saying that I use braid on it.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue May 28, 2013 2:12 pm

Mcyl wrote:Ah right..I'll keep an eye out for a good condition tdz type r+ then...
I got one question for all, you guys said the cq50 has too little capacity for crank baiting. How do you manage to cast the most un aero lure that far? Saying that I use braid on it.
Conquest 50 for me, with say a good 10lb - 15lb braid will be sufficient for line capacity. No one is likely to toss 1oz/20 foot + divers on a Conquest 50 sized reel anyway. IPT on the Conquest is just about right for all around shallow-mid depth cranks, light-med spinnerbaits and top waters. While the CQ50 is not the farthest casting reel, nor does it have what we call a fast retrieve today, it is nevertheless a timeless jewel that is a joy to use.