Which MB rod for ultralight cranks?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Which MB rod for ultralight cranks?

Post by spookybaits » Thu May 09, 2013 4:26 am

Shopping for an ultralight crank rod for 1/8-1/4oz cranks(baby griffons, balsa, little bats, etc).
Ideally I'd like to have under 7ft with full grip but I can deal with split grip. Is the f3-68x griffon my best choice?
Could the upcoming super mirage be a candidate(even tho it's 7ft & rated fast- not sure how fast a MB fast is)?

I'm open to other brands as well(daiwa steez, evergreen, jackall, etc). The steez FlexLite? I read the steez FlexLite review but there wasn't any mention of how well it does with sub 1/4oz baits.

I tried the loomis 783cbr but it didn't cut it. Would the glx cb version be a better caster, as casting performance was my main issue before. Currently my dobyns 704cb handles my lighter baits but 1/4oz is as low as it goes, and it doesn't really excel at them.

One other thing- I plan on using a heavier reel like chron d7 or Exsence DC(I fish em fast) with maybe a lighter spool, will the weight be an issue? Would a lighter reel be necessary for balance or have any benifit to casting performance? If so I'd prob go with a core 100mg7.

I'm new to finesse baitcasting so go easy on me if my questions are noob.

MondayMonkey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Which MB rod for ultralight cranks?

Post by MondayMonkey » Thu May 09, 2013 4:45 am

I use a GLX 843CBR paired with a TD Ito 103 for 1/4 Griffons Popx and other small cranks and love it. It handles them well and does and ok job with 3/16th. If you're dipping to the 1/8-3/16th you might try a GLX 781CBR it's a 6'6" rod

"A light crankbait rod designed to throw small lures. Works well with 1/8 to 1/4-ounce baits like the small Rat'l Traps, small deep-divers and 3-4" minnow imitators. It loads easily, allowing you to cast light lures with accuracy, a long ways. It's perfect for small topwaters and extremely effective for using light line on clear-water impoundments and streams when the fish get spooky."

I have a ML Steez Flexlite ($200 TW special) I was using for sub 1/4 cranks for a while I wasn't that impressed and have since just gone back to using my loomis TSR Light for them.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Thu May 09, 2013 8:08 am

Thanks man, good stuff. Mind if I ask what you didn't like about the steez? I actually didn't know there was a ML, I was only aware of the 7ft M.

MondayMonkey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MondayMonkey » Thu May 09, 2013 8:55 am

Ignore my Steez comment lol I don't know what I was thinking I was referring to the spinning version for some reason. On that note though I've owned lots of GLX Champion Extremes and handled a few Megabass rods. The quality of the steez didn't seem like it belonged in that category to me at all. But then again this was the spinning version sorry about that. I'd still go MB or GLX in that price range.

kakaryan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by kakaryan » Thu May 09, 2013 12:28 pm

I asked the same question last year. For more parabolic action Megabass rods for ultralight cranks, I was suggested the Panagi Graphite and Pagani Air bamboo series.

I finally ordered a JDM Steez recently, which havent arrived yet. I know members on this forum generally prefer Megabass rods over Steez rods. However, on Japanese and Asian website Steez generally gets higher rating than Megabass. I havent used either yet so I cant comment, but I am happy to try both.

I think some of the USDM Steez rods are pretty old models, such as the Flexlite is equivalent to JDM Blitz. The newer JDM models are supposed to have better blank and design, and pricy too (50,000 ~ 60,000yen up). :-#

aussiebasser
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by aussiebasser » Thu May 09, 2013 1:11 pm

For your light Megabass rod. I just bought Pam a Pagani Therese and it is a beautiful light crank rod. Matched with a Zonda Hedgehog it is perfect.

Be cautious with cheap Steez rods. Do not buy from China. Daiwa never had any Steez made in China and didn't export any there. One of the Auction sites has cheap Steez available from China and they are fakes.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Thu May 09, 2013 1:42 pm

Thanks kaykaeyan! This is a rod I'll more than likely keep for the rest of my life, or atleast 10+ years so I'll pay the premium. Funny, I've looked through all the MB rods except the pagani(the handle threw me off as I prefer a long-ish handle for cb rods).
When you say newer jdm steez rods, are the ones listed & pictured at the bottom of this link the ones your referring to, or are they newer than these:
http://www.plat.co.jp/shop/catalog/prod ... tning.html
Also- whenever you get the time, could you pm me links to any Asian fishing gear websites/forums

mondaymonkeyI just got my first MB rod (the destruction) and it was love at first site. MB is def my first choice atm.
The glx is on my list but I'd really like to handle one first & see how it compares to the older loomis cbr rods. Have you fished with both by chance? I loved the action but it felt a little... dead(for lack of better words) & didn't cast light baits as well as I thought it would. (The 783cbr made a great spook/sammy tw rod though). If I can find a place that stocks the glx cb rods in the southeast I'll use it as an excuse to take a roadtrip.

aussiebasser that's a beautiful rod! Is the reel seat wood? I have an old Allstar pistol grip rod in storage, I'm gonna dust it off and see if I can adapt my cb style to it as I usually tuck the handle under my forearm or armpit. Thanks for the heads up on the china eBay sellers, good looking out! That should be a sticky of some sort.

Silas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Silas » Thu May 09, 2013 1:44 pm

I wanted rods for exactly the use you described.

The two rods that do this very well are the G.Loomis 721.....casts light baits like a dream. It does better with smaller reels: Curado 50E, Daiwa Sol, Pixy, Steez.

the other rod is the Loomis CBR 781......excellent rod that will match a larger reel.

I also have the MBR 782 that is a good all around rod, but not at its best at 1/8. does fine at 1/4.
Had a Calcuttoa 200GTB round reel on it.....worked well.

I thinks the upcoming Hedgehog should be PERFECT in the Megabass line up. My Rattle Viper casts sub 1/4 baits with ease....down to 1/8.

kakaryan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by kakaryan » Thu May 09, 2013 4:05 pm

The Steez is a pretty complex series. It doesn't release as many models as Megabass, but generally, 2 or 3 models every year. So when you are looking on the official website, this series contains models from more than 5 years ago to 2013. I generally search around, here and there, and asking, to know more details.

Hence, as some fellas suggested here, as a series the Steez isn't up to Destroyer Phase III standard. Yes and no. This statement is not very fair I'd say. How could someone compare models from 2010-2011(Phase III) with those ranging from 2007 to 2013? The newer blanks are more likely to be better. Talking Megabass alone, the Phase III already has better blanks than previous Destroyer.

A "traditional" and famous Steez for small to medium cranks is the Blitz 651MLRB. It is a quite old model though, doesn't have newer technology such as X-torque, and is equivalent to the USDM FlexLight.

For your purpose I'd suggest the Lightning II 631LFB-LM and the Skyray 631MLFB-SV. Both are baitfinesse models released in last year 2012. The differences are, the Lightning II has low-modulus blank which is designed for hardbodies lures, whereas the Skyray has very high modulus SVF-compile X blank which is designed for jigs and softplastics. I think both can handle hard and soft lures as well, just depends on personal preference. The Skyray is very well balanced and surprisingly light weight (84g) for being a ML power :shock:

http://all.daiwa21.com/fishing/item/rod ... index.html

I doubt the "Ultra Ex-fast" stringer tip Hedgehog would be good for hardbodies? Personally I prefer slower action. :-k

bigreddog
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigreddog » Fri May 10, 2013 1:58 am

spookybaits wrote:This is a rod I'll more than likely keep for the rest of my life, or atleast 10+ years so I'll pay the premium.
In that case...

I'd recommend you also consider a JDM Daiwa Heartland HL 6101mlfb-sv11 SPR. I have the 2-piece 7'2" version, and it's pretty special (although it's also damn expensive).

The Daiko Burroughs BRSC-64L is also very nice if you want something even shorter. It's out of production, but I think you can still track a new one down with a bit of effort (and a much better value, as much as I like my Heartland rods). The spiral wrap makes it a standout, and if "Made in Japan" is important to you when buying JDM, then this is a good choice (Megabass is not and Daiwa varies by model, although I don't really care). It's older, but still relevant.

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdaikobu ... crank.html
(Don't let the relatively low rating bother you -- the only ding was the price)

Both rods are full-grip.

SmallieSmasher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by SmallieSmasher » Fri May 10, 2013 4:03 am

Megabass Eiger Northwall or the upcoming Destroyer Hedgehog would probably be best suited for your needs.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Fri May 10, 2013 3:38 pm

Thank you everyone for your suggestions, I truly appreciate it. Its so awesome to have such knowledgable folks helping me. I'm humbled. Ive learned so much about finesse rods & MB rods in the past 48 hrs it's not even funny. I've researched every MB rod available (old & new) as well as steez, evergreen, gancraft, heartland, etc. I've read tons of old threads on here, people opinions, descriptions, comparisons, TT reviews.

I've thought alot about it, and came to the decision that in this price range, it has to meet my few requirements. I don't want to settle. About.. 60% of my fishing is cranks. Here's what I'm gunning for:

• full grip handle
• slim eva foam
• slightly faster action(mod-fast to fast)
• 6'6-6'9
• SS or titanium guides/sic inserts-
• ecs type reel seat(or the phase III/arms)- no acs, sk2 or non blank-thru styles
• a warranty of some sort
• 1 piece rod
• 1/8oz- capable

I can't find one that ticks all the boxes: the closest are:
• MB expada (too short, f1.5 seems a little light- really want f2-3)
• MB phase III griffon( split grip, 3/16 rating)
• MB Super mirage (3/16 rating & a little long at 7ft)
• MB F3-66XDti Cyclone Type F (3/16 rating, cork handle) So close!
• a few JDM heartland models(no warranty, extra pricy, hard to find in stock, most seem to be 2 piece)

So at this point... I think I just need to look into a custom or email Yuki & see if he can whip me up a phase III f2.5-68x griffon with a full grip eva handle :D [-(

Sorry for taking up bandwidth with another finesse crank post, once I started searching I found a whole bunch almost identical to mine lol. Thanks again to everyone, every post really brought something to the table.

joejoe83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joejoe83 » Sat May 11, 2013 12:07 am

spookybaits wrote:Thank you everyone for your suggestions, I truly appreciate it. Its so awesome to have such knowledgable folks helping me. I'm humbled. Ive learned so much about finesse rods & MB rods in the past 48 hrs it's not even funny. I've researched every MB rod available (old & new) as well as steez, evergreen, gancraft, heartland, etc. I've read tons of old threads on here, people opinions, descriptions, comparisons, TT reviews.

I've thought alot about it, and came to the decision that in this price range, it has to meet my few requirements. I don't want to settle. About.. 60% of my fishing is cranks. Here's what I'm gunning for:

• full grip handle
• slim eva foam
• slightly faster action(mod-fast to fast)
• 6'6-6'9
• SS or titanium guides/sic inserts-
• ecs type reel seat(or the phase III/arms)- no acs, sk2 or non blank-thru styles
• a warranty of some sort
• 1 piece rod
• 1/8oz- capable

I can't find one that ticks all the boxes: the closest are:
• MB expada (too short, f1.5 seems a little light- really want f2-3)
• MB phase III griffon( split grip, 3/16 rating)
• MB Super mirage (3/16 rating & a little long at 7ft)
• MB F3-66XDti Cyclone Type F (3/16 rating, cork handle) So close!
• a few JDM heartland models(no warranty, extra pricy, hard to find in stock, most seem to be 2 piece)

So at this point... I think I just need to look into a custom or email Yuki & see if he can whip me up a phase III f2.5-68x griffon with a full grip eva handle :D [-(

Sorry for taking up bandwidth with another finesse crank post, once I started searching I found a whole bunch almost identical to mine lol. Thanks again to everyone, every post really brought something to the table.
for what its worth I just purchased a Orochi X4 Cyclone and it performs awesome for light cranks, jerk baits and top waters even though it has a 1/4oz rating it handles down to 1/8oz fine with the right reel, I really think its exactly what your looking for even though its not quite as high end as the other rods you mentioned, but has all the features you listed and comes with a 3 yr warranty.....give Gary at the Tackletrap a shout you wont be dissapointed

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Sat May 11, 2013 4:58 am

The Phase3 Griffon is a sweet small cranks rod,full stop

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sat May 11, 2013 6:12 am

africanbass wrote:The Phase3 Griffon is a sweet small cranks rod,full stop
I'd agree. I think you had it right from the beginning, spookybaits.
joejoe83 wrote:.....give Gary at the Tackletrap a shout you wont be dissapointed
Thanks Joe - I'm glad the Cyclone is working out for you. That's a great little stick too!