Purchasing of discontinued MB rods.

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Purchasing of discontinued MB rods.

Post by Mcyl » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:33 pm

Being a late comer to the fishing game I missed all awesome unique looking rods MB have now discontinued.
These include rods with xfti and Slant Bridge.
Is there anyone I could go to? Also for anyone that owns these older gen MBs how do the compare to say the lastest and greatest offerings such as X7s or NRXes, LEs etc.

aussiebasser
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Purchasing of discontinued MB rods.

Post by aussiebasser » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:40 pm

For me, the earlier Megabass rods with "ti" and a slant bridge have character that is missing from the newer offerings. The same goes for the Pagani range, they have that x factor that does it for me. I wouldn't be surprised if Frogleys had some old stock rods, the Tackle Show in August is always eye opening! Otherwise keep cruising the on-line auction sites. Many local rods are sold by word of mouth down here. That's how I got my Jota and the Therese.

SmallieSmasher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by SmallieSmasher » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:23 pm

aussiebasser wrote:For me, the earlier Megabass rods with "ti" and a slant bridge have character that is missing from the newer offerings. The same goes for the Pagani range, they have that x factor that does it for me. I wouldn't be surprised if Frogleys had some old stock rods, the Tackle Show in August is always eye opening! Otherwise keep cruising the on-line auction sites. Many local rods are sold by word of mouth down here. That's how I got my Jota and the Therese.
I would have to agree with Basser on this. The new lineup of rods from Megabass lack the originality and aesthetics of the older models, like the Slant Bridges. I'm not very sure but I would assume that the new lineups would be ahead in terms of blank construction, but they just don't feel the same. Auction sites in Japan like Yahoo Auctions sell many of the Destroyer Phase 2 THP rods which are very nice. I think I saw a Slant Bridge or two sometime... Also contacting Megabass USA, actually "Megabass of America" may help. Good luck with your search.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:35 pm

If aussiebasser can't locate it for you, it can't be found. His wife actually sourced a Hedgehog Zonda for herself and also got Dale a Megabass rod rack(though he is gonna have to buy a house with a higher ceiling to put his Megabass rods on it,lol!). That is pretty impressive! :shock:

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:49 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:If aussiebasser can't locate it for you, it can't be found. His wife actually sourced a Hedgehog Zonda for herself and also got Dale a Megabass rod rack(though he is gonna have to buy a house with a higher ceiling to put his Megabass rods on it,lol!). That is pretty impressive! :shock:
Right! That's cool. Well Aussiebasser, are you reading this?

aussiebasser
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by aussiebasser » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:05 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:If aussiebasser can't locate it for you, it can't be found. His wife actually sourced a Hedgehog Zonda for herself and also got Dale a Megabass rod rack(though he is gonna have to buy a house with a higher ceiling to put his Megabass rods on it,lol!). That is pretty impressive! :shock:
Ummm.........
Look what I found last week

There is a Diablo and a Super Diablo on Ebat at the moment. I prefer the earlier Flats Backer. Slant Bridge will be difficult though. I think Duncan sold his white python too.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:33 am

Cheers for your help AB,

I've found this ensure samuraifishing with a lot of older MB rods.
I'll browse through their inventory. The Diablo SB on TY reviews looked stunning.

aussiebasser
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by aussiebasser » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:46 am

Mcyl wrote:Cheers for your help AB,

I've found this ensure samuraifishing with a lot of older MB rods.
I'll browse through their inventory. The Diablo SB on TY reviews looked stunning.
That's it. He's reliable and will ship it down here.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:17 am

No Diablo SB but a f4.5 jota stage II with slant bridge
I really dig the F8-78dg too, slant bridge, spiral wrap, Ti wrap...
Seen them around??

aussiebasser
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by aussiebasser » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:32 pm

Buy that Jota!
I just got one and it's a very, very nice rod for Barra and Jack work.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:32 pm

Mcyl wrote:...I really dig the F8-78dg too, slant bridge, spiral wrap, Ti wrap...
Seen them around??
The only one of those I have ever seen was being carried by Bigfoot as he ran away from my tent with my cooler! :lol: He must be an avid fisherman, too. :^o

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:11 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Mcyl wrote:...I really dig the F8-78dg too, slant bridge, spiral wrap, Ti wrap...
Seen them around??
The only one of those I have ever seen was being carried by Bigfoot as he ran away from my tent with my cooler! :lol: He must be an avid fisherman, too. :^o
They seem awesome rods with all the enthusiast features, slant bridge, ti wrap, spiral guides. However the super red demons lighter (1.6oz) and more powerful too.
I found a jota stage 2 on eBay but that rod is only 6'4".

I can see that earlier MB models look a lot more unique than the current line up.
But the new models should be simple, lighter and hence more responsive, am I correct in this assessment?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:58 pm

Mcyl wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Seen them around??
They seem awesome rods with all the enthusiast features, slant bridge, ti wrap, spiral guides. However the super red demons lighter (1.6oz) and more powerful too.
I found a jota stage 2 on eBay but that rod is only 6'4".

I can see that earlier MB models look a lot more unique than the current line up.
But the new models should be simple, lighter and hence more responsive, am I correct in this assessment?
Your assumption is absolutely correct. :big grin:

aussiebasser
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by aussiebasser » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:08 pm

You are comparing a classic beauty with a modern tart. Meagan Fox with Kim Kardashian if you like. Raw unabashed beauty against quasi modern styling. A 1973 Big Block Corvette Convertible against a Z06. Pink Floyd against Justin Bieber. Am I getting my point across? Pharlap against Black Caviar. Mohammad Ali against Kostya Tszyu. Sean Connery against Daniel Craig.
Last edited by aussiebasser on Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:51 pm

aussiebasser wrote:You are comparing a classic beauty with a modern tart. Pink Floyd against Justin Bieber. Am I getting my point across?
Justin Bieber???!!!! Seriously???!!!! I thought you said something about art?! :big grin: :big grin: :big grin: :big grin: