Shimano Aldebaran BFS XG

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Cpark
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Shimano Aldebaran BFS XG

Post by Cpark » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:41 am

Just got in one of these in a right hand and liked it so much ordered another in a lefty. Wanted something that could pitch light lures easy. Anyone have any experience with these?

I'm on a reel restocking kick. Can't wait for the UPS man to get here today. He'll be dropping off 5 new Core 50's and a Chronarch E5. It will be like Christmas day. :D

I haven't got to fish the Aldebaran yet but I love the way it feels. I just hope they perform as well as they feel.

cumara
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Shimano Aldebaran BFS XG

Post by cumara » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:26 pm

I would love to hear what you think of the BFS XG, and how it compares to the Core 50. Please post your impressions after you've had a chance to fish it!

chrisjr1981
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by chrisjr1981 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:10 pm

the bfs xg is great, it casts further than the core 50 even.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:31 pm

cumara wrote:I would love to hear what you think of the BFS XG, and how it compares to the Core 50. Please post your impressions after you've had a chance to fish it!
Firstly the obvious, it's lighter, smaller and faster. It's CC control is on the non handle side.
It has a shallower mg spool, so it casts light lures better than the core 50mg7.
It also has more variations with an 8 weight VBS brakes.

Lastly, with a spool retained bearing its smoother on retrieve.

But FW only due to the spool.

chrisjr1981
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by chrisjr1981 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:56 am

it can cast a 1/8th ounce shakey head as far as a core 50 or steez can cast a vision 110

cumara
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cumara » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:29 am

Thanks for the feedback! How about the braking? Do the 8 brakes perform similarly well or better compared to the Core? How many do you turn on, and in what configuration?

Phippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Phippy » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:48 am

I know the BFS XG is overkill for this technique but I'm assuming jerkbaits wouldn't be a problem with this reel. Thinking of pairing up with a MB RattleViper 8lb fluoro for jerkbaits in the spring as well as weightless wacky rigs, 4" senkos and shakeyheads. Figuring it holds 80yds of 8lb so if I use a line like Sniper line capacity wouldn't become a issue.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:05 am

chrisjr1981
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by chrisjr1981 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:38 am

brakes are great, haven't had a single backlash but i remember it took me sometime to adjust them at the house because its different then any other shimano reel

Cpark
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cpark » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:46 am

Ok guys, spent almost a week on KY lake using them. Kept both on the deck at all times cause I've got a boat load of core 50's and know what they can do. I spooled one up with 8 lb sunline fluoro at first and was throwing tiny shad raps that are usually dang near impossible to throw on casting equipment and it threw them awesome. Got the distance like I was using a spinning rod but the control of casting gear. Had it on a 702 Irod Air rod.

Next I went way off the reservation and tried something different with them. Litttle lures were catching little fish so I spooled them both with 16 lb sunline, their new bite alert fluoro, which is also some awesome stuff, put them both on 8 foot steez flipping rods and went in to throw jigs after the big boys. They are not just finesse reels. They handled that job incredible as well. Pitching was as effortless as I've seen out of any reel I've used and don't let the light drag rating fool ya. I had one over 7 and another over 6 and multiple in the 3 to 5 range and I was flipping 5 lb fish over the side of the boat with them. The drags never slipped on hard hooksets with those big fish and when I needed it to work it worked smooth and consistent.

Bottom line is I'm a big fan of them. I've got 3 cores I spooled but never used and I'm going to get rid of those and get some more of these. The only complaint I sort of had is the spool tension knob being on the side plate rather than by the drag star/handle side takes some getting used to but they will do both the finesse as well as some heavy duty work.

Katron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Katron » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:47 pm

This has me wondering how my Steez with MB BFS spool would compare to this reel. Has anybody done a side to side comparison?

mrpao
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mrpao » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:46 pm

What kind of line capacity are you getting with the heavier line?
Any issues with almost spooling the reel if making far cast?

diavolos
Angler
Angler

Post by diavolos » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:31 pm

Hi guys, I cant decide between the new 13 metanium hg/xg or the aldebaran bfs xg... I want a reel that is good for throwing tube jigs, jigs, buzzbaits(small/medium), senkos and that can perform the best all around! I want a high end reel to pair with my gloomis glx bcr804 jig&worms rod. Is the 8.5 gear ratio of the metanium too much to handle certain type of lure like buzzbaits or crankbaits or lure that requires higher torque? I also have a 200e5 for crankbaits so I dont really mind if neither are specificly made for those lure but anyways I think you guys get the pictures of what I want. So is 8.5 really worth it or I should get the met. 7.4 ratio? I love to cast medium size lures as much as to pitch and flip small/medium jigs. On the other hand the aldebaran bfs xg looks awesome but I didnt find the info saying if It can also perform as a normal reel as good as a BF reel

So wich one could be the best all around reel for me.

Thanks alot for taking the time to answer me the best you can.

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:28 pm

diavolos wrote:Hi guys, I cant decide between the new 13 metanium hg/xg or the aldebaran bfs xg... I want a reel that is good for throwing tube jigs, jigs, buzzbaits(small/medium), senkos and that can perform the best all around! I want a high end reel to pair with my gloomis glx bcr804 jig&worms rod. Is the 8.5 gear ratio of the metanium too much to handle certain type of lure like buzzbaits or crankbaits or lure that requires higher torque? I also have a 200e5 for crankbaits so I dont really mind if neither are specificly made for those lure but anyways I think you guys get the pictures of what I want. So is 8.5 really worth it or I should get the met. 7.4 ratio? I love to cast medium size lures as much as to pitch and flip small/medium jigs. On the other hand the aldebaran bfs xg looks awesome but I didnt find the info saying if It can also perform as a normal reel as good as a BF reel

So wich one could be the best all around reel for me.

Thanks alot for taking the time to answer me the best you can.
FIrst thing that came to mind was the EXTREMELY limted line capacity of the BFS, regarding being as "all-around" reel...

diavolos
Angler
Angler

Post by diavolos » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:13 pm

your right I didnt noticed that the line cap. was restraint. Oh well metanium it will be but the xg or hg???