How do you rate these TDZ/Steez/IS spools

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: How do you rate these TDZ/Steez/IS spools

Post by Mcyl » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:03 am

I need it as I use a lot of ios devices. ESP handy when I'm on the move.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:27 am

bronzefly wrote:
kakaryan wrote:Generally, do you think each generation is better than its previous precursor? :D
Not generally, no. I haven't had the opportunity to fish the new SV spools however...

The TD-Z 103H Type R+ spool is still one of the best spools ever made as far as I'm concerned. Some are better for heavier lines and heavier lures, some are better for lighter lines and lighter lures, but for an "all purpose" bass fishing reel, the R+ spool in the original R+ reels is something special. I cast, skip, and pitch with R+ spools and enjoy every minute of it.

The IS Megabass Finesse spools are insanely good for true finesse stuff. They hold little line, but that comes with the territory for their intended purposes. As much as I love the Daiwa Presso and it's stock spool and even the original Daiwa Pixy family, I still think a Steez/Megabass IS/TD-Z with an IS spool paired with the right line and right rod can handle the light stuff better.

The TD-Z 105 spools are finesse oriented, but are still more than capable of handling a lot of light cranking, jerkbait, topwater type duties with 8 to 12lb lines depending on diameter. It remains one of my favorite spools. I have them in stock form and with R+ inductors installed that I use on medium and medium light powered rods for a range of techniques. It's too bad that they're discontinued with no more being made.

The T3 1016 spool is very, very impressive. I enjoy the performance in the Steez/Megabass IS/TD-Z platform. We've sold out of them quickly every time we've had them in stock and have many more on backorder - and have for some time as others also enjoy them. As much as I like the performance of the T3 1016 reels overall, something about the feel of the reel when the hood "clicks" down turns me off. I would like to see the reel in aluminum or magnesium frame, or better yet, just come out with a Z100 or Z1010, Z1016 or whatever...

The original TD-Ito spool is crazy fast and is the epitome of a "wild child." That said, with the brakes turned down and the spool tension low, it's performance is amazing if you can get past the inevitable backlashes that will happen when set loosely. I don't know of a faster spool Daiwa has ever produced.
I started lure fishing 2011. So the TD-Z/ito was long give before I started. Is it worth it to look for one or should I go for new gen stuff like Stee EX or t3 SV etc

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:56 am

Mcyl wrote: I started lure fishing 2011. So the TD-Z/ito was long give before I started. Is it worth it to look for one or should I go for new gen stuff like Stee EX or t3 SV etc
I have many new reels yearly and still can't get rid of the TD-Zs. They are the bridge between a heavy bulky zillion and small light Steez. It is like having the best of both world and there are plenty of after markets available from Avail/Daiwa/I'ze/MB to keep you entertained.

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:19 am

I put ZPI RC-002 spools in my TD Ito and TDZ R+ 103 reels and they give me a huge performance upgrade. You can really set the brakes low and they make it very east not to backlash. They handle the mid/heavier weight just as well and the ligher 1/4, 1/8 ounce baits much easier.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:26 am

I can now really enjoy my td-ito after getting some different spools for it. The RCS1016/1012 spools rock.

triple_illusion
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by triple_illusion » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:37 pm

When do we get to see pictures of this new itö of yours? What rod do you have for it?

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:25 am

SO, I know this is a really old thread, but it has some good info in it so I decided to bring it up instead of starting a new one -

Was curious where the "standard" TD-Z 103M/ML spool (ie, non Type R/R+) compares to the others...

In particular the OG Steez 100 spool. I'm thinking of swapping a OG Steez 100H spool into a TD-Z 103M to gain some line capacity, but not if braking gets wonky. Will be used on a small/midsize crankbait rod - Dobyns 764RM.

I also have a SLP Works Deep Spool I could use as well, now that I think about it...

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:43 am

They spool is actually really good in a TD-Z, but if you really want to open it up a bit, swap the inductor for an R+. I find it to be a really linear but free braking profile.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:31 am

The 1010 spool is one of the best for its purpose as well.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:35 am

I have a ZPI PG and a ZPI M spool both in my TDZ type R plus reels
My preference is undetermined the but I’m leaning to the PG over the M.
One is on a Deep Throat Custom and the other a Shallow Fast Moving Special
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:01 am

Each generation of the Daiwa flagship magnesium reel is not "better" than the last. Performance is very similar between a TDZ and all the Steez iterations. It is just different spools, shape, knobs, etc. It is more about which one palms best for a given rod as with the same spool they all perform very similar.

For example while an Ito is very fast with the stock spool it casts practically the same with an SV spool in it as an R+ or any Steez with the same SV spool.

The stock spools are great for all-around use but you can get other spools for more specfic use. For example SV spools are fantastic for skipping and high control but sacrifice a little distance. The ZPI-RC002 is probably my favorite spool as it gets great distance with great control. You can get spools like the IS finesse or honeycomb for bait finesse. The new ZPI M spool is sort of semi - finesse. The ZPI PG spool gets great distance with great control much like the RC-002 and handles below 3/8 with a bit more ease.

Dexter
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dexter » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:09 am

Ian Shields is a pure artist. Amazing performance improvements with the steez/is platform or any reel for that matter. Every reel I’ve owned, new or used, I’ve sent to Ian. Great communicator, honest, does not cut corners.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:33 pm

Dexter wrote:Ian Shields is a pure artist. Amazing performance improvements with the steez/is platform or any reel for that matter. Every reel I’ve owned, new or used, I’ve sent to Ian. Great communicator, honest, does not cut corners.

Agreed!