Is the Megabass Finesse spool better than the PX Finesse

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Is the Megabass Finesse spool better than the PX Finesse

Post by WoodT » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:04 am

kakaryan wrote: I am more curious on what <1/8oz baits other people throw, and with what rods. Maybe jigs and blades?

Generally I found 1/8oz to be the lowest working limit for baitfinesse.
I think I agree with you 100% :lol:. You can throw lighter for sure if you get more and more specific (and limited) with the rod used...and want to catch a lot of 4' panfish while you do it. My Volkey UL can go a bit lighter than that....my DX701c (at least for me) bottoms out around 1/12-ish and I lose the feel for the lure entirely.

I spent a ton of money trying to prove to myself that I can throw lighter and lighter things in my yard I really don't use on the water, even for crappie. I realized that finesse spools work best for me when they can be used for general purposes as well, and open up the bottom range of more practical bass rods. That is why I like the Yumeya spools so much on my Core 50 and Chronarch D. I also like finesse spools because they make awkward things easier to cast, at least for me.

The IS Zonda spool is great. I like it on my Volkey UL very much, even with the limitations I cited above around line capacity and my perception of strength. Ultimately I hit the "fine line between clever and stupid" at around 1/8 oz, for the bass fishing I do. You can do 1/8oz with a number of spools out there, and in some cheap ways. Get a used Curado 50e, some OS7s, and a Yumeya or Avail spool and you have yourself a world-class finesse and light duty rig for around $250 or $270 bucks. Add a used L or ML rod from a number of different manufacturers for another $125 or $150. I wish I had taken this approach, originally. ;)

hobobob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by hobobob » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:15 pm

Originally, my goal was to create a UL casting rig for spring time. ex: crappie season. I'll use 1/16oz small jig with plastic 80% of the time during the spring to catch anything that swims. I gave up that dream quite some time ago. Capable limit is one thing, casting comfortably a whole new dimension. Distant vs control is on a very thin edge as you go lighter in weight. For me, it has reached a diminished return. One major limitation is the availability of the a capable rod in the US market. Most are too fast and too stiff to launch feather weights.

I'll still use finesse spool setup for bass fishing. That's for the purpose of control and east of casting of air resistant lures, not for pushing the limits. For feather light stuff, I'll stick with spinning. It's much cheaper, more controllable, and cast further in most situations. With the proper setup and care, line twist can be keep at a minimum.

I don't own a Megabass finesse spool, but I have used the following: conquest 50 and 50s, avail finesse for conquest 50, tdz105h, alphas 103, pixy, px finesse pool, scorpion 1000, ch50mg, both yumeya BFS spools. Come to think of it, I spent way too much on this stuff. One reel alone can easily pay for a whole spinning setup, not to metion the different upgrades. :doh:

kakaryan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by kakaryan » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:18 pm

WoodT wrote:
I think I agree with you 100% :lol:. You can throw lighter for sure if you get more and more specific (and limited) with the rod used...and want to catch a lot of 4' panfish while you do it. My Volkey UL can go a bit lighter than that....my DX701c (at least for me) bottoms out around 1/12-ish and I lose the feel for the lure entirely.

I spent a ton of money trying to prove to myself that I can throw lighter and lighter things in my yard I really don't use on the water, even for crappie. I realized that finesse spools work best for me when they can be used for general purposes as well, and open up the bottom range of more practical bass rods. That is why I like the Yumeya spools so much on my Core 50 and Chronarch D. I also like finesse spools because they make awkward things easier to cast, at least for me.

The IS Zonda spool is great. I like it on my Volkey UL very much, even with the limitations I cited above around line capacity and my perception of strength. Ultimately I hit the "fine line between clever and stupid" at around 1/8 oz, for the bass fishing I do. You can do 1/8oz with a number of spools out there, and in some cheap ways. Get a used Curado 50e, some OS7s, and a Yumeya or Avail spool and you have yourself a world-class finesse and light duty rig for around $250 or $270 bucks. Add a used L or ML rod from a number of different manufacturers for another $125 or $150. I wish I had taken this approach, originally. ;)
Well said. \:D/ I think most baitfinesse lovers have ever fallen into the myth of trying and enjoying to cast lower and lower with baitcast gears during their fishing life, included me of course, :lol: until they realize and find their "right path" eventually.

I did also spend time on this, casting in corridor and parks, where my bait got followed and chased by dogs sometimes. :doh: :laugh1:

mikezho
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mikezho » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:55 pm

good info.

mikezho
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mikezho » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:56 pm

The most informative and helpful post so far in this thread.
y2k88 wrote:Alphas R-ed w/ MB Zonda finesse spool
Steez SPX megatop
#0.6 braid
1/8oz blades, 30m +/-
1/16oz jighead with 2-3" plastic, 25m +/-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbNYs_VeNoE (reposted from a previous topic)

http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=34142
http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=38717

In particular, http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic. ... 90#p322705

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:23 pm

As far as the pixy goes the ZPI MG Pixy Spool RC-301 is a much better spool than the PX Finesse. I sold my PX Finesse spool after getting the orange RC-301. It doesn't necessarily cast lighter but provides better control and more user friendly. It is harder to find but worth it if you can find one.
ZPI MG Pixy Spool RC-301.jpg
ZPI MG Pixy Spool RC-301.jpg (35.67 KiB) Viewed 3229 times
Another spool that falls into this category for the alphas or sol is the Cosugi Works EZ Cast Spool.
cosg2.jpg
cosg2.jpg (93.52 KiB) Viewed 3229 times

mikezho
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mikezho » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:35 am

Any of these spools will fit into my px-r without any modification?
spencerinstl wrote:As far as the pixy goes the ZPI MG Pixy Spool RC-301 is a much better spool than the PX Finesse. I sold my PX Finesse spool after getting the orange RC-301. It doesn't necessarily cast lighter but provides better control and more user friendly. It is harder to find but worth it if you can find one.
Another spool that falls into this category for the alphas or sol is the Cosugi Works EZ Cast Spool.
cosg2.jpg

igl00jx
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by igl00jx » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:38 am

mikezho wrote:Any of these spools will fit into my px-r without any modification?
The ZPI MG Pixy Spool RC-301 will fit a Pixy and Sol/Alphas with modifications.
The Kousagi/Cousagi will only fit the Sol/Alphas.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:09 am

mikezho wrote:Any of these spools will fit into my px-r without any modification?
spencerinstl wrote:As far as the pixy goes the ZPI MG Pixy Spool RC-301 is a much better spool than the PX Finesse. I sold my PX Finesse spool after getting the orange RC-301. It doesn't necessarily cast lighter but provides better control and more user friendly. It is harder to find but worth it if you can find one.
cosg2.jpg
I have a RC-301 in my Silver Pixy and PX68 without any modification. The Cosugi Spools are for the Alphas, Sol, or Zonda.
I have one in my Alphas R edition and one in my Sol.