Conquest 51 falling out of favor?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
dqphysics
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Conquest 51 falling out of favor?

Post by dqphysics » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:46 pm

I just picked up the custom Otterods 665-1 HM from the sale section. I do have to say, though I do like Shimano, the Steez did look awesome on it. That being said with all the gold on the rod, I was trying to match a Shimano reel to it and I was thinking the Conquest 51. I know it used to be THE reel to have, but it seems to have greatly declined in popularity on this board. It did not get a single mention in the 2012 Reel of the Year thread. Is it because it is outdated and there are better offerings or that it is becoming more rare to come across. Would I be better off going with a Core 51 or Metanium Mg L? Or is it just that people got talking about the Conquest because they ran out of things to say about it? A little insight would be nice before I go off the deep end and really let the monkey out of the cage. I did just find a wholesaler who will sell to me directly, regretfully he has no JDM but a Core for ~$250 is certainly in play but I have a need to try the Conquest if it is still the reel it use to be compared to the current reels.
Thanks.

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Conquest 51 falling out of favor?

Post by lpquick » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:01 pm

IMHO the CQ 51 is still the real deal. I for one was hoping that things like X-ship will find it’s way to the CQ models some time next year. I can promise you if you don’t get one you’ll always be asking yourself what you’re missing. You don’t find people letting theirs go very often for obvious reasons.

phiten
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by phiten » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:13 pm

my cq51 rides on my kaleido impala.
this pair up is super sweet!

mrborohachi
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mrborohachi » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:47 pm

i would say due to the un pamability, the new Calcuttas are amazing if you haven't held one

Gabriel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Gabriel » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:56 pm

mrborohachi wrote:i would say due to the un pamability, the new Calcuttas are amazing if you haven't held one
Calcutta 50's are really easy to palm IMHO, they are a little chunky weight wise though.

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:34 am

Conquest 50/50S one of the best reels out there for the money regardless if it costs $600 USD or more. It is one of these rare reels you have to own once. I call this reel a "Bucket-List" reel - a reel to own before you die. :big grin: However, just sold mine 3 weeks ago. Only reason why I sold it , is because its a righty and I cast right handed. The Tension Knob kept giving me blisters when I palmed the reel to cast. Eventually the reel got used very little to hardly used last year when I put more Pixies in my line up. I am regretting selling it after 5yrs of owning it and had it been a lefty I would have kept it. I have owned both the 50 and 50S and these reels are just rare that is all, especially in the US where the mainstream fishermen may have never heard of or seen these smallest of Conquest reels due to its price and availability. My plan it also to get another one but this time a 51. Also there isn't much more to say about these reels. What you have heard is exactly it. Weight wise, it is actually very light at only 7.8oz - no more than your TD Fuego, or Curado 200E, or Curado 200D, etc. The Conquest 50 is lighter than most low profile reels yet how and what these reels are made, will out live and out last low profile reels 50yrs from now. And these 50 size reels are very small even I have medium sized hands and can palm the reel comfortably during retrieve. Bah, I am regergitating what has already been said about these reels. Nuff said!

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:40 am

phiten wrote:my cq51 rides on my kaleido impala.
this pair up is super sweet!
I have this exact same combo! I must agree this combo is a blast :D

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:28 am

Certainly have not fallen out of favor with me. I have one CQ and 4 US Calcutta 50 TE's versions for my every day reels. At just over 7 ounces I'd hardly call them heavy weights and the these Calcutta 50's are still smaller in size to palm than the new Calcutta D's. I find them one of the most palm-able reels I own.

They have been around for a while and they may have lost some of their "shine". They are built like a heirloom quality pocket watch, and they continue to provide superb all around bass fishing and finesse fishing service to me.

In my opinion. I think the CQ 51 would be a perfect mate to your new custom Otterods 665-1.

thelatrobe33
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by thelatrobe33 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:02 am

I wouldn't say they're falling out of favor. I just think we've gotten to the point where we're beating a dead horse talking about them more. There's enough threads on here regarding the Conquest 50/51 that you could read for days.

I have one on a custom 6'5" MHX jerkbait/topwater rod. I use Shimano round reels for all my reaction bait needs and it's at the head of the pack. It may not be as glamorous as it was when it was new but it can still hang with the best reels out there.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:29 am

Cost of the CQs, let alone there being fewer CQ50s vs the larger sizes, is one reason why these reels may not be as popular as more readily available and less costly alternatives.

Also, from a pure casting performance/IPT standpoint, the CQ50 series is not the longest casting or the fastest reels - these are the other considerations/issues for some. When you take into account cost, difficulty to procure, limited line capacity, one gear ratio only...then there are reasons that many will logically choose other reels, regardless of make.

Otherwise, the CQ50 series is still a supremely engineered piece that will stand the test of time.

Reeltor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Reeltor » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:31 am

The CQ 50 is one of my all time favorites and as stated built like a fine watch. Comfortable to palm, great caster,super smooth and with an all around gear ratio. I use mine for anything from small to medium cranks, spinnerbaits, worming and topwater. :D

mitchct
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mitchct » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:01 pm

I think the others have pretty much covered it - the CQ51 is a terrific reel assuming you want a round reel over a low-profile. Also, to clarify (in response to your comments in the original post), the JDM Aldebaran is more similar to the 50-sized Core, the Metanium is more comparable to the 100-sized Core. I am just commenting on form factor here, there are differences between the US and Japan reels you should research (handles, bearings, etc.).

Try the Conquest, though, I'm sure you'll enjoy fishing it.

hobobob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by hobobob » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:25 pm

Yes, it's falling out of favor from Oct till April. Why? cause it's too damn cold to wrap your hand around a bare aluminum reel. :) Once it's warm enough, it's game on.

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by lpquick » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:16 pm

hobobob wrote:Yes, it's falling out of favor from Oct till April. Why? cause it’s too damn cold to wrap your hand around a bare aluminum reel. :) Once it's warm enough, it's game on.
You need to move to a southern state where it’s warm year round, think of all the fishing you’re missing.

hobobob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by hobobob » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:56 pm

lpquick wrote:
hobobob wrote:Yes, it's falling out of favor from Oct till April. Why? cause it’s too damn cold to wrap your hand around a bare aluminum reel. :) Once it's warm enough, it's game on.
You need to move to a southern state where it’s warm year round, think of all the fishing you’re missing.
Yeah, I envy your southern boys. Especially after the trip Gary has been been posting on show and tell. It definitely on one of mine to do list. I used to have ice fishing to keep my sanity in check during the winter months, but there was no ice last year :doh: With the current weather trend, I don't think we'll have any this year. Oh well, more tackle shopping for me. lol