Punchin: Steez 100SHL vs PX68R

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Punchin: Steez 100SHL vs PX68R

Post by GARRIGA » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:10 am

I have a Steez on pre-order but that won't get here till late November at the earliest. I have a Core 101 that I alternate with my Zillion Type R but now reconsidering getting the Pixy and when the Steez arrives using it for Froggin. Based on an online spool capacity calculator by Accurate Reels it appears the Pixy will hold 27 yards of 0.041 mm 65# braid. That's plenty of line and I know the Steez has more then enough room.

The dilemma is should I just wait for the Steez and get two so it can also handle this task and use the Core/Zillion till then or could the Pixy be as good an option if not better? I haven't fished either but both have felt comfortable in my hand. It will be placed on an XBD Frog rod and I need to be sure that either reel can cope with pullin 8-12# bass out of heavy mats. I know the rod does most of the work but I don't want to have any week link. I don't tournament fish and just care about not losing that trophy of a lifetime.

I believe the Pixy has an 84mm handle and something I would quickly swap. Hopefully selling the stock will cushion the blow of a new handle and this is the major reason why I've held out for the left handed SH. When it's all added it up the Steez with preferred handle might be cheaper. Although, that Steez just cries out for a CF 90-100mm crank.
Last edited by GARRIGA on Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Pinchin: Steez 100SHL vs PX68R

Post by africanbass » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:15 am

2x Steez :big grin:
Happiness is a sore thumb

muskyhunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by muskyhunter » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:48 am

27" is a little too little for me, i would get a steez.
Let's go fishing!!!

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:17 pm

muskyhunter wrote:27" is a little too little for me, i would get a steez.
I'm by no means experienced in punching and still getting all the tools together so when I get out consistently I'm prepared and based on what most say about speed it would appear the Pixy is at a disadvantage but have little real world experience to base that on. Did spend a few hours Punchin with CC because it was all I had available at the time and it was slow trying to get the bait back for the next pitch. Unfortunately, I didn't connect with any bass so I wasn't able to see if the additional cranking power would be a benefit. Hard for me to wrap my head around high gear reels being best for pulling something big over and across heavy vegetation because it's been engraved in me from my grouper digging adventures to seek the lowest gear when trying to move a non cooperative object.

If it really does help to have the extra 4" then I can see where the Steez is a better tool but that brass gear in the Pixy keeps me thinking it might be better. Just don't know and which I had the funds to get both and try them out. I guess I could just get the Pixy now and sell it later because I have no desire for finesse techniques and for frogs and most everything else I throw 65# braid due to the heavy Foilage and 27 or so yards isn't going to do.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:21 pm

I'd be most curious if the gears are brass or not. For heavy duty stuff, I much prefer brass gears. I know that the Megabass IS71HL features brass gears and I can only hope the Steez will as well. We're accepting pre orders for the new Steez, but just haven't made the formal announcement here on Tackle Tour 8-)
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Punchin: Steez 100SHL vs PX68R

Post by GARRIGA » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:46 am

That Megabass is sweet and wasn't aware it had brass gears. Not crazy about the 80mm crank on a 29" plus retrieve reel.

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:13 am

bronzefly wrote:I'd be most curious if the gears are brass or not. For heavy duty stuff, I much prefer brass gears. I know that the Megabass IS71HL features brass gears and I can only hope the Steez will as well. We're accepting pre orders for the new Steez, but just haven't made the formal announcement here on Tackle Tour 8-)
Interesting,the IS73 definitely does not have brass gears :-k

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:18 am

GARRIGA wrote:That Megabass is sweet and wasn't aware it had brass gears. Not crazy about the 80mm crank on a 29" plus retrieve reel.
That's an easy fix of course :lol:
africanbass wrote: Interesting,the IS73 definitely does not have brass gears :-k
I was surprised when I cracked it open myself... almost as much as when I saw the drive gear in the IS73! :lol:
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:46 am

bronzefly wrote:
GARRIGA wrote:That Megabass is sweet and wasn't aware it had brass gears. Not crazy about the 80mm crank on a 29" plus retrieve reel.
That's an easy fix of course :lol:
africanbass wrote: Interesting,the IS73 definitely does not have brass gears :-k
I was surprised when I cracked it open myself... almost as much as when I saw the drive gear in the IS73! :lol:
Yeah,the IS73 has a red anodized drive gear as previously seen in the the Alphas Ito.
Just curious on how they can still keep the IS71 HL under 6 oz with a brass drive gear :-k

They had the same problem with the T3,the weight of the main drive gear pushed the reel well over 6oz.
With the new hybrid main gear in the T3 Air we are again well under 6oz.
ImageImage

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:47 am

africanbass wrote: Yeah,the IS73 has a red anodized drive gear as previously seen in the the Alphas Ito.
Just curious on how they can still keep the IS71 HL under 6 oz with a brass drive gear :-k
I only have one standard IS71HL that isn't the Ito Limited model and I ain't cracking that baby open to check its gears! I sourced the IS71HL as a new reel and it definitely has a brass drive gear. I didn't weigh it because it really doesn't matter to me if it's 5.9 oz or 6.6 oz... it feels and fishes beautifully either way 8-)
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

nuocmam1222
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by nuocmam1222 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:52 am

Garriga, what do you think about the 7.9 J-dream for punching?

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:32 pm

nuocmam1222 wrote:Garriga, what do you think about the 7.9 J-dream for punching?
I don't think so. Hooked a DD and couldn't budge her an inch. I saw her come up 15 ft from me, grab my Big EZ in gin clear water and after two memorable moments open her mouth and with one explosive shake out of the water she spit my lure back into my face.

In the 7.9's defense, I couldn't budge her with my 711MF Cumara either, so she could have been more then most equipment could handle. Did catch a 2-3# with relative ease so there's promise but I fear that high gear isn't pulling a 12# toad out of the muck. May have to be all rod on that one.

I keep returning to the scene where I was mugged, so I may get another chance at her and see how take II unfolds. This time I'll stick the rod in the water and make sure to set the hook, she surprised me so bad I don't remember actually sweeping back. Lol

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:40 pm

GARRIGA wrote:
nuocmam1222 wrote:Garriga, what do you think about the 7.9 J-dream for punching?
I don't think so. Hooked a DD and couldn't budge her an inch. I saw her come up 15 ft from me, grab my Big EZ in gin clear water and after two memorable moments open her mouth and with one explosive shake out of the water she spit my lure back into my face.

In the 7.9's defense, I couldn't budge her with my 711MF Cumara either, so she could have been more then most equipment could handle. Did catch a 2-3# with relative ease so there's promise but I fear that high gear isn't pulling a 12# toad out of the muck. May have to be all rod on that one.

I keep returning to the scene where I was mugged, so I may get another chance at her and see how take II unfolds. This time I'll stick the rod in the water and make sure to set the hook, she surprised me so bad I don't remember actually sweeping back. Lol
Z2020SH with a broomstick is likely a better answer...regardless, I would love a shot at a battleship that size!
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Katron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Katron » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:21 pm

Why not the Zillion Type R? I use mine for frogs and heavy T-rigs and love it. Sure it's a little on the heavy side but solid as it gets for high speed reels. If you're looking to spend $500 + have you considered the Calais DC (heavy) or a Metanium MG7?
Previously "theflyingplatypus".

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:21 pm

I just sold 2 Steez 100SHA's in the last 2 weeks. The reels seemed to struggle when I had a 4 lb. fish on with 3 lbs. of salad. If I was fortunate enough to get the fish's head up after the strike, I could skip the whole rig and fish across the top of the hydrilla. If the fish managed to get it's head down, it was a fight to get it unburied-even to the point that I sometimes had to motor over and try to grab the fish by hand because it just wouldn't budge. More often than not, the fish would come unbuttoned before I got to it. I'm gonna stick with my Steez 100HA's from now on. They are a good balance between power and speed IMO. Just my personal experience, but to each his own.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.