Megabass XX Rods

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Gabriel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Megabass XX Rods

Post by Gabriel » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:00 am

You guys stop whining. Some people are poor/have better things to buy like groceries.
I can't afford a Megabass rod at any price currently and am really glad that if I save up I can get one, maybe.

Who gives of flying f-word what people think anyways? If you enjoy your spendy rod who cares if everyone isn't in awe of your high Japanese rod. They aren't going to stop selling super high end rods. If anything they might be able to sell enough of these to develop better tech and better high end rods.

Grow up and enjoy fishing and stop caring about how neat it is that your better than everyone else.
This is what I hate about this forum, all you super elite snobs who turn there noses up at $300 saying it cheapens a line up.

I'm out.
"Can I poke the fish in the eye?"
Dakota

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:13 am

Gabriel wrote:You guys stop whining. Some people are poor/have better things to buy like groceries.
I can't afford a Megabass rod at any price currently and am really glad that if I save up I can get one, maybe.

Who gives of flying f-word what people think anyways? If you enjoy your spendy rod who cares if everyone isn't in awe of your high Japanese rod. They aren't going to stop selling super high end rods. If anything they might be able to sell enough of these to develop better tech and better high end rods.

Grow up and enjoy fishing and stop caring about how neat it is that your better than everyone else.
This is what I hate about this forum, all you super elite snobs who turn there noses up at $300 saying it cheapens a line up.

I'm out.
That my friend is exactly the point.
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:22 am

Gabriel wrote:You guys stop whining. Some people are poor/have better things to buy like groceries.

I'm out.
You are aware that you are in the enthusiast section right? Just because someone seeks out something different or unique and is able to afford it does not make them a snob.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:59 am

I'm out.
You don't belong in the enthusiast & import tackle section. It is obvious that you failed to realize what section you were posting in. If you hate this forum so much then delete your profile and quit posting.

Seriously.

Katron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Katron » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:35 am

I really don't see this as any different than Daiwa coming out with a reel that was previously only available in Japan for $100 less with lower grade components and so forth. In fact, if Daiwa came out with a US version of the 1016 Ryoga or Pixy SPR at around $450 I would be thrilled. There is something to be said for exclusivity though, but I don't think Megabass is going to "sell out" and cheapen themselves. As previously said, this may be the best marketing strategy for them at the present due not only to the economy, but also to the fact that the sub $300 range is very competitive and if they are able to produce something that blows other rods out of the water not only in function but also cosmetics they are nearly guaranteed success. Think of this as Apple's release of the Ipod Nano (but an actually solid product unlike the Nano).
Previously "theflyingplatypus".

biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by biggs » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:45 am

I don't think these rods will cheapen the MB name at all, I bet these rods will only lead people to their higher end rods. I for one am probably going to pick one up, I guess that makes me low end! :D
Instagram @___bradb

REW
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by REW » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:19 am

I don't think they will really "cheapen" the brand image, as they will still be a sort of niche product. Even at the reduced prices, they will still cost more, and have less brand recognition, than 99% of the market is willing to bite on. I am actually curious to see if they don't actually raise prices of their premium offerings. I have seen a similar situation in other industries. A smaller, high-end manufacturer comes out with their "value" line, and then jacks up the prices on their original products.

Katron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Katron » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:38 am

These rods are certainly not low end. Who here is going around calling the Daiwa Zillion rods low end and junk (not saying anybody is about the XX)? $200 and over is still more than most people are willing to spend as REW said. I for one have never spent over $250 on a rod (reels are a different story) as I buy used, on sale, or build my own, prefering the later. I do plan on picking up one of the X4 lineup or possibly even two, but I don't believe I will be picking up one of these new XX rods as I believe I can build something better. I will however be recommending these rods to other people if they ask me for rod brand suggestions in the sub $300 range.
Previously "theflyingplatypus".

rugbyfisherman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rugbyfisherman » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:47 am

REW wrote:I don't think they will really "cheapen" the brand image, as they will still be a sort of niche product. Even at the reduced prices, they will still cost more, and have less brand recognition, than 99% of the market is willing to bite on. I am actually curious to see if they don't actually raise prices of their premium offerings. I have seen a similar situation in other industries. A smaller, high-end manufacturer comes out with their "value" line, and then jacks up the prices on their original products.
I personally don't see them increasing the prices on their other lines. I think they are trying to increase brand recognition by getting 1st time buyers to try their products in hope they will then buy their other higher end products down the road. I know I tried an X4 rod and I am completely hooked.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:52 pm

IMO. much will have to do with how the XX Megabass rods will actually perform on the water. Will they be light, balanced and sensitive? They certainly do look nicer than most rods at that price point IMO. "But looks ain't everything" :lol:

I'm thinking if the Megabass XX can perform on a level with the Loomis IMX (which is at the Megabass XX price point, and the IMX being as excellent fishing rod for the money), then certainly Megabass will be more than competitive in that market segment and will cause people to look at their other more expensive offerings.

(The G. Loomis IMX performance usually pushes people to check out the GLX and NRX lines if only to see how much better it can get, the opposite can be certainly be true if a rod doesn't meet expectations).

My experience handling 30 Ton graphite rods has shown them to be heavier than the higher ton blanks. This usually translates into rod being somewhat tip heavy unless a company incorporates some balancing in the handle to compensate. This then will increase overall rod weight. Balance always trumps overall weight in fishing rods for my money....but with Megabass one can never be "for sure" when they produce a rod. :-k

Only time and customer reviews will tell whether we have a home run or a bunt :lol:

My $.02

Anyone know if this will be a regular retail store brand or only available through Megabass dealers?
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

Gabriel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Gabriel » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:52 pm

njbasscat wrote: You are aware that you are in the enthusiast section right? Just because someone seeks out something different or unique and is able to afford it does not make them a snob.
Not my point at all. But to think people would be upset over a "cheap" $300 rod is ridiculess. I love enthusiast tackle, I just can't afford it lol. The fact the people are upset over this is what makes me think that they are snobs.
Finnz922 wrote: You don't belong in the enthusiast & import tackle section. It is obvious that you failed to realize what section you were posting in. If you hate this forum so much then delete your profile and quit posting.

Seriously.
I will start by apologizing, I was very tired when I typed my first post.

I love enthusiast, highend, ridiculous fishing tackle I just can't afford it but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate it. I do get mad when people talk about these things like they are cheap.
I hate that people lose sight of how exciting getting something new can be even if it's not super expensive.

I own a GLX Flipping rod, a Carrot Stik PG, a Saint Croix Triumph and some cheap rods for loaners when I take friends fishing.
The nicest reel I own tie between a Stradic FJ and a TDA Hsta. I have some midrange shimano's on my other poles.
You can see by this that I don't have very nice gear. I do however have over $1600 into my fishing gear if you include my stuffed tackle box. I have been spending about 15% of my total earnings on my fishing gear for the last year since I really started to get into fishing again.

Yes I'm not wealthy but I am an enthusiast.
Dakota

bigreddog
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigreddog » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:13 pm

Gabriel wrote:
njbasscat wrote: You are aware that you are in the enthusiast section right? Just because someone seeks out something different or unique and is able to afford it does not make them a snob.
Not my point at all. But to think people would be upset over a "cheap" $300 rod is ridiculess. I love enthusiast tackle, I just can't afford it lol. The fact the people are upset over this is what makes me think that they are snobs.
I don't think I ever suggested that Megabass was going "cheap." But I do think that they are going to be challenged to offer anything that's a step above everybody else in that price range.

The mindset to produce a highest-performing rod for a price is very different than when striving to produce the highest-performing rod at ANY price. If they can do it - then that's great. But my sense is that to target a price point, something's gotta give. Whether consumers are willing to accept those compromises, given that there are lots of other great options out there ,is the $300 question.

Gabriel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Gabriel » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:58 pm

bigreddog wrote:
Gabriel wrote:
I don't think I ever suggested that Megabass was going "cheap." But I do think that they are going to be challenged to offer anything that's a step above everybody else in that price range.

The mindset to produce a highest-performing rod for a price is very different than when striving to produce the highest-performing rod at ANY price. If they can do it - then that's great. But my sense is that to target a price point, something's gotta give. Whether consumers are willing to accept those compromises, given that there are lots of other great options out there ,is the $300 question.
Very good point. I misunderstood I guess :)

Who knows really? No one has used these. Look at Zombie Rods, some people say they are dead sensitivity wise but still love them aesthetically. Others say they are very sensitive, to a supernatural level.

Not really sure what my point was but I will wait until I see a review of these before I judge them too harshly.
Dakota

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:51 pm

As soon as soon as they go on sale or preorder I will be trying 1 out only problem is which one do I want

biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by biggs » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:39 am

USA-RET wrote:My experience handling 30 Ton graphite rods has shown them to be heavier than the higher ton blanks. This usually translates into rod being somewhat tip heavy unless a company incorporates some balancing in the handle to compensate. This then will increase overall rod weight.
You may be right but I would hope MB would be able to come up with a better 30 ton blank than lets say ABU's Veritas line. I would also hope that MB wouldn't come out with a rod unless it was up to their standards which from all the postive reviews I've read is high. Lets hope this series is a step above other $300 rods.
Instagram @___bradb