Pixy 101

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Pixy 101

Post by goldrod » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:34 pm

What is the difference in a pixy (non zilla) and an Ito?
What is the PX-R and where does it fall into place? I was looking at the pixies for sale and than the ito's for sale and they all look the same for me. I noticed that the PX-R type is more expensive than the steez 103 at the moment, and wondered what advantages / disadvantages of the steez does the PX-R or any pixy or Ito have or not have?

I am not a 6# line type guy but I read the thread " what rod do you have your pixy on" and it seems like most people are flipn with these reels. So what are the gears made out of and of them all which is the:
most popular, rarest, most diverse and what are the ipt turns on them?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Pixy 101

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:16 pm

I assume you mean the Alphas Ito, not the TD-Ito, because they are completely different platforms. The Alphas Ito is dimensionally the same as a Pixy, at least on the outside. The Alphas is a polished aluminum frame and gear-side plate and the Pixy is magnesium. The spool opening is smaller on a Pixy than an Alphas. A pixy spool will fit in an Alphas, but you need a spacer kit from ZPI and some pixy parts for the palm-side plate to make up the difference in the spool diameter. The internal gearing is basically identical (duralumin 5.8:1 gears, 23 IPT), except for the PX-68 and PX-R, which have brass 6.8:1 gears.This 6.8:1 gearing is the same IPT as a 6.3:1 Steez, which is 28". The Pixy has had many variants, as has the Alphas. I'll try to list them all, but I'm sure I'll miss 1 or 2.
PIXY:
Silver Mica Pixy, Amber Orange Pixy, Yellow Pixy, Airy Red Pixy, KTF Tuned Pixy(red and 6.4:1 gears), PX-68, PX-R, and PX-SPR. ***Looks like there is a need to edit this part.***Then there's the Megabass versions of the Alphas: Zonda 10, Zonda 68 and Zonda 68R Carrozzeria Custom LTD. Japan Tackle lists the Zonda 68 as a variation of the PX 68, which is wrong. The new Megabass finesse spool will fit in a Sol and an Alphas. Therefore these 2 reels are also variations of the Alphas and not the Pixy. Sorry for any confusion, guys. :doh:
Then there's all the Alphas:
Sol, Alphas 103, Alphas Ito, Alphas R-Edition, Alphas 105H Finesse Custom, Alphas Type F, AIRD S and AIRD 100R Red Tune.
And the Steez is lighter than a Pixy, but holds a lot more line and casts a wider range of lure weights like a rocket.
If you were referring to the TD-Ito, it is built on the old TD-Z frame, which is yet another platform that Daiwa used and used and used and used and......I don't even wanna venture into trying to name all the TD-Z frame variants, that would take all evening AND fry my brain...
I hope this doesn't confuse you further. :doh:
Last edited by hoohoorjoo on Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

SHOCat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SHOCat » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:49 pm

Hoohoorjoo very nice! That just condensed months of internet searching into a very informative write up! Thank you!

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:15 am

I thank you as well.. very, very informative.
One other question, I have an old Team daiwa advantage 153 the tuned version, in regards to size how close wil it be to a alpha ito or a pixy? The frame looks the same to me..

Agaain thanks, I know exactly what I am not looking for and I know if the PX Type R is what i think it is.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:45 am

goldrod wrote:I thank you as well.. very, very informative.
One other question, I have an old Team daiwa advantage 153 the tuned version, in regards to size how close wil it be to a alpha ito or a pixy? The frame looks the same to me..

Agaain thanks, I know exactly what I am not looking for and I know if the PX Type R is what i think it is.
If the HSTA is a basketball, the Pixy is a tennis ball.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:09 pm

Tokugawa wrote:If the HSTA is a basketball, the Pixy is a tennis ball.
x2. The 2 reels do look very similar in pictures, but the Alphas and Pixy are both much smaller than the HSTA. There is also a JDM model of the HSTA that is actually called the "Alphas 150". It is a nice reel, but WAY overpriced, imo.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:14 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:I assume you mean the Alphas Ito, not the TD-Ito, because they are completely different platforms. The Alphas Ito is dimensionally the same as a Pixy, at least on the outside. The Alphas is a polished aluminum frame and gear-side plate and the Pixy is magnesium. The spool opening is smaller on a Pixy than an Alphas. A pixy spool will fit in an Alphas, but you need a spacer kit from ZPI and some pixy parts for the palm-side plate to make up the difference in the spool diameter. The internal gearing is basically identical (duralumin 5.8:1 gears, 23 IPT), except for the PX-68 and PX-R, which have brass 6.8:1 gears.This 6.8:1 gearing is the same IPT as a 6.3:1 Steez, which is 28". The Pixy has had many variants, as has the Alphas. I'll try to list them all, but I'm sure I'll miss 1 or 2.
PIXY:
Silver Mica Pixy, Amber Orange Pixy, Yellow Pixy, Airy Red Pixy, KTF Tuned Pixy(red and 6.4:1 gears), PX-68, PX-R, and PX-SPR. Then there's the Megabass versions of the Pixy:
Zonda 68 and Zonda 68R Carrozzeria Custom LTD
Sol, Alphas 103, Alphas Ito, Alphas R-Edition, Alphas 105H Finesse Custom, Alphas Type F, AIRD S and AIRD 100R Red Tune.
Megabass also has a version of the Alphas, which is called the Ghost Zonda 10R.
And the Steez is lighter than a Pixy, but holds a lot more line and casts a wider range of lure weights like a rocket.
If you were referring to the TD-Ito, it is built on the old TD-Z frame, which is yet a nother platform that Daiwa used and used and used and used and......I don't even wanna venture into trying to name all the TD-Z frame variants, that would take all evening AND fry my brain...
Very nice.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:44 pm

I'm just an old country boy who loves his Daiwa reels. I have been reading this forum for several years and joined in a few months ago. Pixy 101 was the best class on pixys and alpas yet.

dqphysics
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by dqphysics » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:55 pm

Finnz922 wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:I assume you mean the Alphas Ito, not the TD-Ito, because they are completely different platforms. The Alphas Ito is dimensionally the same as a Pixy, at least on the outside. The Alphas is a polished aluminum frame and gear-side plate and the Pixy is magnesium. The spool opening is smaller on a Pixy than an Alphas. A pixy spool will fit in an Alphas, but you need a spacer kit from ZPI and some pixy parts for the palm-side plate to make up the difference in the spool diameter. The internal gearing is basically identical (duralumin 5.8:1 gears, 23 IPT), except for the PX-68 and PX-R, which have brass 6.8:1 gears.This 6.8:1 gearing is the same IPT as a 6.3:1 Steez, which is 28". The Pixy has had many variants, as has the Alphas. I'll try to list them all, but I'm sure I'll miss 1 or 2.
PIXY:
Silver Mica Pixy, Amber Orange Pixy, Yellow Pixy, Airy Red Pixy, KTF Tuned Pixy(red and 6.4:1 gears), PX-68, PX-R, and PX-SPR. Then there's the Megabass versions of the Pixy:
Zonda 68 and Zonda 68R Carrozzeria Custom LTD
Megabass also has a version of the Alphas, which is called the Ghost Zonda 10R.
If you were referring to the TD-Ito, it is built on the old TD-Z frame, which is yet a nother platform that Daiwa used and used and used and used and......I don't even wanna venture into trying to name all the TD-Z frame variants, that would take all evening AND fry my brain...
Very nice.
x2

Always was confused by Daiwa's lines since I am a Shimano fanboy, but am interested in joining the darkside with a pixy of some sort.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:04 pm

Be forewarned-no one has ever returned from the darkside. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Katron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Katron » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:28 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:Be forewarned-no one has ever returned from the darkside. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Especially when you get that Steez with a Megabass Finesse spool... speaking of which, when is Megabass going to make a spool for the Pixy?
Previously "theflyingplatypus".

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:07 pm

If Megabass followed it's trend with shallower spools made for other reels, a Megabass spool for the Pixy would hold about 80 yards of 4 lb. test, lol! ;)

sn95
Angler
Angler

Post by sn95 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:14 pm

What is the advantage of the SPR versus say the Type R? I know the braking systems are different but not sure what else is, or what braking system is better for what sized baits.

kakaryan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by kakaryan » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:45 pm

sn95 wrote:What is the advantage of the SPR versus say the Type R? I know the braking systems are different but not sure what else is, or what braking system is better for what sized baits.
The SPR spool is shallower than the PX68/TypeR stock spool. But there is also a shallower mag. brake option spool for PX68.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:13 pm

Since I have had my type R for some time. I want to know for those of you who have the megabass variants if you feel that the performance is better than the standard jdm versions ?
Also what's the fastest gear ratio in either alpha or pixy and even tdz platform?