Zillion HLC

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Zillion HLC

Post by TommyG » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:42 am

Zil HLC 1516.1.jpg
Zil HLC 1516.1.jpg (110.43 KiB) Viewed 6664 times
Zil HLC 1516.4.jpg
Zil HLC 1516.4.jpg (73.75 KiB) Viewed 6664 times
Decided to go with a new model HLC

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:47 am

Gulfcoastwader wrote:I have seen Nitroman now and humph earlier both say the HLC's are SUPER smooth reels

What is it exactly that makes it so smooth? Am I missing anything below? I have a 6.3: 1 Zillion that I have now:

1. totally broken down, cleaned and cleaned bearings and used Rocket Fuel to relube them up
2. Upgraded the spool bearings to Abec 7 ceramic orange seals and used Rocket Fuel
3. Installed an HLC spool; and in HLC spool I removed stock bearing and added a Abec 7 ceramic orange seal w Rocket Fuel
4. upgraded levelwind from bushing to bearing
5. installed carbontex drag
6. about to add a 4-bearing handle
7. used light Shimano shop grease on gears and idle gears

This modified monster is SUPER-smooth

I assuming now it is as smooth as a $500+ HLC but since I have never handled a HLC I do not know for sure

Is the list above lacking something the HLC has??

Thanks
Interesting question
Out of the box zillions I had felt geary if that’s a descriptive word but after putting work
They are smooth. Of all the OG zillion variations I’ve not seen or heard of anyone not modifying them
Except maybe the dream series. I’m not sure if the SV103hs platform killed the zillion or showed
how great they were. But for me, that frame which is off the OG zillion platform was smooth out of the
Box than any OG zillion and maybe it’s variants
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Redlinerobert
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Redlinerobert » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:15 am

I have a few of the original HLC reels. They're the best.
2016 Ranger Z522 Mercury Racing 300

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:20 pm

Redlinerobert wrote:I have a few of the original HLC reels. They're the best.
OK, then I assume there should be remarkable effect on Magforce = 20 vs. Magforce = 0?

In mine there's no big difference. (Same casting distance, and basicly same amount thumb brake is needed and same bird nests.) It could be issue with 0.40 Sufix Synergy, but hard to believe it's all about it.

But still it's nice reel!

4g63power
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 4g63power » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:01 pm

TommyG wrote:Zil HLC 1516.1.jpg
Zil HLC 1516.4.jpg
nice! I have one as well, it's a casting machine and smooth. Also have run a US zillion tw 100 spool in mine. Very impressive as well.

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:31 am

4g63power wrote:
Zil HLC 1516.4.jpg
nice! I have one as well, it's a casting machine and smooth. Also have run a US zillion tw 100 spool in mine. Very impressive as well.
Indeed, a very smooth reel, great caster, have not tried the Zil Tw spool yet.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:03 pm

Has anyone compared the Zillion HLC to the new one? I would like to pick one up at some point but do I go with the OG or the weird Tatula thing? :-k

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:14 pm

LowRange wrote:Has anyone compared the Zillion HLC to the new one? I would like to pick one up at some point but do I go with the OG or the weird Tatula thing? :-k
Which one are you refering to?

Tatula HLC
HLC 1514 (purple highlights, magsealed)
HLC 1516 (non magsealed, higher capacity spool, newest)

I've got the 1514 and it is a gem, a rocket launcher, a purple demon.
Only reason I would consider the 1516 is if I were throwing swimbaits in freshwater

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:34 am

jvelth74 wrote:
Redlinerobert wrote:I have a few of the original HLC reels. They're the best.
OK, then I assume there should be remarkable effect on Magforce = 20 vs. Magforce = 0?

In mine there's no big difference. (Same casting distance, and basicly same amount thumb brake is needed and same bird nests.) It could be issue with 0.40 Sufix Synergy, but hard to believe it's all about it.

But still it's nice reel!
HLCs are designed to cast 1/2 oz and bigger lures very far. The spool is very lightly braked, so it can be wild and fast. Yours is probably fine...you just need to get better with it.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:20 am

Aquaftm45 wrote:
LowRange wrote:Has anyone compared the Zillion HLC to the new one? I would like to pick one up at some point but do I go with the OG or the weird Tatula thing? :-k
Which one are you refering to?

Tatula HLC
HLC 1514 (purple highlights, magsealed)
HLC 1516 (non magsealed, higher capacity spool, newest)

I've got the 1514 and it is a gem, a rocket launcher, a purple demon.
Only reason I would consider the 1516 is if I were throwing swimbaits in freshwater
I wasn't aware there were 2 new ones. I take it the 1516 has additional capacity over the 1514?

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:40 am

Tokugawa wrote:HLCs are designed to cast 1/2 oz and bigger lures very far. The spool is very lightly braked, so it can be wild and fast. Yours is probably fine...you just need to get better with it.

Hope so…I really would like that if it appears that I wasn’t that good caster than I thought…And after practicing I could be able to cast with this HLC without some kind of backlash on every cast. But now I bought from small local outdoors store a thin monofilament of 600 m and Nanofil of 150 m which costed in total 6,90 € - nice discount :-D Now I’m planning to get to lake and perform power casts with more powerful rod to see whether there’s any braking effect of this HLC Zillion’s Magforce. First time I casted with this reel 1 oz and and 1.5 oz lead weights. At least with 0.40 mm Synergy it appeared immediately backlash in any point of cast if I lifted thumb from spool with Magforce = 20. But it could be issue with that thick monofilament.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:09 am

jvelth74 wrote:
Tokugawa wrote:HLCs are designed to cast 1/2 oz and bigger lures very far. The spool is very lightly braked, so it can be wild and fast. Yours is probably fine...you just need to get better with it.

Hope so…I really would like that if it appears that I wasn’t that good caster than I thought…And after practicing I could be able to cast with this HLC without some kind of backlash on every cast. But now I bought from small local outdoors store a thin monofilament of 600 m and Nanofil of 150 m which costed in total 6,90 € - nice discount :-D Now I’m planning to get to lake and perform power casts with more powerful rod to see whether there’s any braking effect of this HLC Zillion’s Magforce. First time I casted with this reel 1 oz and and 1.5 oz lead weights. At least with 0.40 mm Synergy it appeared immediately backlash in any point of cast if I lifted thumb from spool with Magforce = 20. But it could be issue with that thick monofilament.
The IZE HLC is a bit more time than the OG dimpled spool...might be an option too. Also helps to have the handle down or up depending on what hand you are casting with.

wirinhar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by wirinhar » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:34 pm

Zil HLC 1516.4.jpg
This is a beast..... Great choice =D> =D> =D>

WW

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:39 am

Succes! My OG HLC Zillion is not broken! And I love it! I found that in distance casts HLC Zillions braking profile is logical and there is reasonable effect of adjustment.

Only issue was line. 0.40 Monofilament (Sufix Synergy) was too thick and stiff and there was too much memory. I spooled it with 0.20 mm line which I bought 1,2 km for 4 Euros for testing this reel (and Steez 103 spool in SV Zillion).

I used Savage Gear Custom Predator 8’6” up to 240 grams and casting weight was 60 grams and 4 meters shock leader. I took first cast extremely carefully because of knowing reels tendency to make bird nests and set Magforce to ‘ 20 ‘. I was happy for that no backlash at all and there was clearly some magnetic brake. Third cast I was casting pretty hard and cast was not long – great – this reel is working! I proceed to add speed and force to casts. I’m not educated casting pro but I’m just self-educated average baitcaster. So no fine technique. I just sling rod to back as hard as hard and fast I could and then directly sling it forward as hard as I could. That’s just all the strength I could load to rod. Then I begin to loosen the Magforce until I got slight line rise from spool. That was Magforce ‘ 2 ‘. After first good maximum cast I must laugh - that flew so long! I tightened line (that could be tightened pretty hard because weight was dig in to mud bottom of very shallow bay.) After line was straight and tight I attached line counter to rod to take measurement. Whooa: 138 m! That’s enough for me. For further casts I should learn better technique of casting or I should become stronger.

But I bought reel for seatrout fishing. Therefore I tested it also with Daiwa Whisker WH902MHS-AU. Casting weight was 30 grams which I have found optimum for this rod. Similar procedure as before but now I started to adding Magforce from ‘ 2 ‘ until line stops rising from spool (thumb braking during casts). It was already dark, and I don’t know how much I added it, but maybe 7 clicks. Feeling that correct adjustment is found I casted as hard as I could. Measurement 98 meters. Great! This reel works as it should!

But only question by now is line to use in fishing. 0.20 mm monofilament that I used for tests (with shock leader) is not option. I thought to use 0.35 mm Trabucco Super Soft for this reel, but now I’m thinking is that bad for this reel (because 0.40 mm Sufix Synergy which was horrible). I have 0.30 mm Trabucco Super Cast in my smaller reels and I would like to use thicker line in HLC. Well – I must test.

I’m such happy that my Zillion HLC behaves as long cast baistcaster should and because of that my reel deserved new crank.
(EDIT: changed maybe better picture.)
Attachments
Crank.JPG
Crank.JPG (48.19 KiB) Viewed 6436 times
Last edited by jvelth74 on Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:46 am

Thats great news! But why did you swap the stock handle for some $10 ebay one?
<")))><{