RYOGA 1016 vs. Conquest 100

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
BluFleck
Angler
Angler

RYOGA 1016 vs. Conquest 100

Post by BluFleck » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:36 am

OK, i have had Conquest and I'm a big fan. Was looking to use a 1016 on one of my favorite cranking sticks. Would love to hear feedback on how these 2 compare?

Thanks,

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: RYOGA 1016 vs. Conquest 100

Post by GARRIGA » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:58 am

I've never fished a Conquest but from what I've read and been told by others who have fished both a Conquest and Pluton is that the Ryoga/Pluton are built better then the Conquest. I can tell you from fishing my Pluton that its an awesome caster. The Ryoga is supposedly the same reel as the Pluton if that helps with the comparison. I've actually used the Pluton in the surf tossing Hudds for summer Snook. I plan on using it this fall during the mullet run on Snook and Tarpon.

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:18 am

I'm also curious about the 1016. They look almost robotical, but I don't know how you could go wrong with Z casting and that big gear case. Wow!
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

RWSCHMITZ
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RWSCHMITZ » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:22 am

I have more then 10 ConQuests reels, the 100 C/Q is lighter has a faster gear ratio and cost $90.00 less. I owned a Pluton 200 for a week and sold it, I felt it did not compare to a ConQuest to me, but to each there own.
Pimp My Rod & Reel Richard W. Schmitz

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:01 am

GARRIGA wrote:I've never fished a Conquest but from what I've read and been told by others who have fished both a Conquest and Pluton is that the Ryoga/Pluton are built better then the Conquest.
I don't know...I might not be able to actually fish with a reel that's built better than a Conquest without fainting after every cast from the pure overwhelming ecstasy.

:big grin:
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:00 am

mhood wrote: I don't know...I might not be able to actually fish with a reel that's built better than a Conquest without fainting after every cast from the pure overwhelming ecstasy.

=D>

That certainly could inhibit ones casting rhythm :lol:
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:10 am

I suppose dead sticking is the only appropriate technique but when do you set the hook? :big grin:
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:34 am

mhood wrote:
GARRIGA wrote:I've never fished a Conquest but from what I've read and been told by others who have fished both a Conquest and Pluton is that the Ryoga/Pluton are built better then the Conquest.
I don't know...I might not be able to actually fish with a reel that's built better than a Conquest without fainting after every cast from the pure overwhelming ecstasy.

Price & Applications: Both Pluton versions are currently retailing for 369.99 which is 120 dollars more than the Daiwa Luna. The Pluton also costs 20 dollars more than the similarly sized Calcutta GT TE 200 size. While similar in performance and positioning the Pluton does feature a number of more refined elements including all machined components versus forged or cast frame and sideplates. The Pluton does have two less bearings than the Calcutta GT TE but you would never know it from the reel’s smooth connected retrieve.
This is from TTs own review. Seems to me like the Pluton is built better then the Calcutta and I believe the Conquest is the JDM version of the Calcutta, therefore, it should be built the same plus perhaps different spools or bearing configuration but still built the same. It's not about ecstasy but about components used. I would be in the center of the boat when you cast the Pluton to avoid potentially fainting into alligator infested waters. That could ruin one's ecstasy.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:26 am

GARRIGA wrote:I would be in the center of the boat when you cast the Pluton to avoid potentially fainting into alligator infested waters. That could ruin one's ecstasy.
As long as you take the proper safety precautions, you'll be fine. :lol:

How does the Pluton stack up against a Conquest 50 or a Conquest 100? Honestly, if you're looking for a Shimano to rag on, you'd best pick something other than a Conquest.

:D
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:23 pm

mhood wrote:
GARRIGA wrote:I would be in the center of the boat when you cast the Pluton to avoid potentially fainting into alligator infested waters. That could ruin one's ecstasy.
As long as you take the proper safety precautions, you'll be fine. :lol:

How does the Pluton stack up against a Conquest 50 or a Conquest 100? Honestly, if you're looking for a Shimano to rag on, you'd best pick something other than a Conquest.

:D
Why would one think that suggesting something is better in one's opinion as ragging on something else? More importantly, why push this into suggesting one is ragging on Shimano? The OP asked a question on Ryoga versus Conquest of similar size reels, I pointed out the reason why I would choose a Ryoga based on the similarity to the Pluton based on what I know about it and what I've researched about Calcuttas that are US equivelants of the Conquest.

Understand that when I was deciding on a 200/300 size reel for swimbaiting, I had narrowed the choices down to the Pluton and Calcutta TE. At some point I discovered the Conquest and Ryoga as my eyes became open to JDM variants of what were available in the states. What's most important here is the fact that having not tried any of these reels I placed my purchasing decision on my research, similar to what the OP is doing, and still chose the Pluton for the reasons I've stated above.

It is my decision process to get the Pluton that I'm using to assist the OP with their question. Is that not the purpose of this forum and others like it? To provide our opinions based on both user experience and what we've researched?

I believe you are taking the intended purpose of my response and assuming I'm merely taking an opportunity to stab Shimano. Although I believe that often happens by those that become manufacturer fan boys and have blinders to all things not of their club choosing, please understand that at one time I owned 8 Trinidad 20s, one Trinidad 30 and a Trinidad 40 (at the same time). I now own 3 or may be 4 Trinidad 20s and one Trinidad 40 I purchased the week they were made available. In addition, I own a Core 101 (which I'm looking to upgrade to best suite my needs for it), I own a CI4 and planning on getting three more of them for both freshwater and saltwater use as well as 3 Cumaras and that segment is growing, therefore, to imply that I'm anything other then a person who enjoys fishing with the best tools available, regardless of manufacturer stamping, is not only completely off base but rather self implying that the accuser is more fan boy then the one they accuse of being.

If you are looking for someone to tag a fan boy then perhaps you'd pick someone else other then this particular poster. :)

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:43 pm

GARRIGA wrote:If you are looking for someone to tag a fan boy then perhaps you'd pick someone else other then this particular poster. :)
Fair enough..."rag on" was a poor choice of words. Perhaps I should have said that if you are going to make comparisons between RYOGAs and Conquests and have not fished with both reels, then you should be slow to degrade a reel that many consider one of the best round reels ever made. I won't make any comparisons because I have never owned or fished with a RYOGA 1016. I do know from personal experience that a Conquest is an exquisite reel and the best built reel I have ever had the pleasure to fish. If the RYOGA 1016 is superior to my Conquest 100, it must be one hell of a reel.
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:02 pm

mhood wrote:
GARRIGA wrote:If you are looking for someone to tag a fan boy then perhaps you'd pick someone else other then this particular poster. :)
Fair enough..."rag on" was a poor choice of words. Perhaps I should have said that if you are going to make comparisons between RYOGAs and Conquests and have not fished with both reels, then you should be slow to degrade a reel that many consider one of the best round reels ever made. I won't make any comparisons because I have never owned or fished with a RYOGA 1016. I do know from personal experience that a Conquest is an exquisite reel and the best built reel I have ever had the pleasure to fish. If the RYOGA 1016 is superior to my Conquest 100, it must be one hell of a reel.
I'm not degrading the Conquest. My choice was based on discussing the available options with a few that have fished both Plutons and Calcutta/Conquest. The major selling point was the overall machining used with the Pluton and my wanting to use it to chase Tarpon in the back country. The two reels I'm sure are very similar but if only one could be had then for me that would be a Ryoga. Although, in typical TT Forum fashion, the OP could purchase both and then sell one later.

As I stated before, I've never fished the Conquest or Clacutta but having fished the Pluton with big baits, I feel it's one rather amazing casting machine. If the Conquest is equal or better then the OP can't go wrong with either.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:19 pm

GARRIGA wrote: I believe the Conquest is the JDM version of the Calcutta, therefore, it should be built the same plus perhaps different spools or bearing configuration but still built the same.
The Conquest is the JDM version fo the Calcutta, but the Conquest is more refined featuring a machined handle and dragstar. I think the Calcutta has a stamped handle and dragstar - but I could be wrong. I only fish the Conquests.

I've had the Conquest 101 but got rid of them because they saw no time after I got my Conquest 101DC reels. That plus my Conquest 51s saw more use too. These are beautiful reels.

The Ryoga 1016 is a different animal all together. In hand, it feels a lot more solid than a Conquest. It's definitely heavier which probably contributes to this feeling.

If I had to decide between the two? I'd probably lean Ryoga only because it is newer. Shimano has not updated the Conquest/Calcutta line in some time. When they do, then I'll probably lean back that way because that platform will be more new.

Otherwise, without a head to head comparison - and I've not done this - I'd just flip a coin.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:03 pm

Cal wrote:
GARRIGA wrote: I believe the Conquest is the JDM version of the Calcutta, therefore, it should be built the same plus perhaps different spools or bearing configuration but still built the same.
The Conquest is the JDM version fo the Calcutta, but the Conquest is more refined featuring a machined handle and dragstar.
I wasn't aware of that. That would change my opinion of the Conquest. More interestingly, I'm starting to understand why so many prefer JDM even if a variant is available stateside, just appears they make them better for that market. America seems to be in love with their cheap Walmart world.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:25 pm

Different animals altogether:

- Conquests are lighter, easier to wield and come more sizes...and IMO are aesthetically more attractive. Very well built reel that fishes extremely well.

- Ryoga comes in a couple of sizes, plus a jigging version and is heavier, very industrial in design, is tighter overall in construction and overbuilt internally to have the same power of a Conquest that is larger sized. This said, I would wager that I can walk a Spook or rip a jerkbait all day long in much more comfort with a Conquest 100 vs a Ryoga 1016.

If I were to want a stronger and more robust cranking/power reel in the 100/1016 size, then the Ryoga would be my choice.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."