Shimano Biomaster 2500 - First Impression

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
KoYak
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Shimano Biomaster 2500 - First Impression

Post by KoYak » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:41 am

I've used the Daiwa Capricorn 2500 since it's release. The Capricorn is a great reel but its one drawback is its weight, around 11 ozs. Over the last few years, I've developed some wrist problems from computer work and golf (golf is getting in the way of fishing so I stopped playing) and the Capricorn 2500 bothered my wrist after a couple of hours of fishing. So I went in search of a new reel. The Obvious choice was a Japanese market Daiwa. However, the Caldia, Luvias, and Certate were a little out of my range.
So i finally decided on the Shimano Biomaster 2500. The Biomaster’s US equivalent is the Stradic. However, the Biomaster 2500 weighs 8.9 oz while the Stradic 2500 weighs 9.7 oz. Both have the same number of bearings. The Biomaster has a 5 to 1 retrieve Ratio and Stradic has a 6 to 1 retrieve ratio.

I mounted the Biomaster on my custom made spinning rod built on a 6ft 6in St Croix Avid Blank. This reel is a perfect match to this rod. Spooled on the Biomaster was P-Line 8 lb test Flouroclear.

After looking at this combo for a day and a half, I finally took it out for day of fishing on some local ponds. Days in the DC area have been very pleasant, sunny and 65 to 70 degrees. But the nights have been right around the freezing point. Cold nights, blue bird skies and crystal clear water made for tough fishing conditions. I finesse fished for most of the day using both split shot and drop shot rigs and caught some nice fish and some nice numbers. I also fished small crank baits and spinner baits just to see how the Biomaster handles these baits.

The Biomaster 2500 is a great reel. Casts extremely well and also manages line twists very well. I am amazed with the reel’s smoothness. I guess the 4+1 bearings are positioned in just the right places. BTW – I had no wrist pain. I guess weight difference between the Capricorn and Biomaster was what my wrist needed. As for Biomaster’s durability, only time will tell. I am so impressed with this reel that I will be selling my Capricorns to make room for more Biomasters.

Mike