Shimano Core

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Shimano Core

Post by USA-RET » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:26 pm

raul wrote:
USA-RET wrote:Finally got to handle on at our local BPS. Very nice reel, smooth, slick looks, nice side plate opening switch..sexy spool cover...but $349????

One "Benjamin" less buys the Chronarch Mg which weighs a bit less, operates as smoothly, holds only slightly less line and has a sexy gold spool.

I'm not getting the marketing angle Shimano took with this reel...if it replaced the Mg..I'd be all over it...but as is, I'm feeling rather underwhelmed.

Am I missing something here?
Got both, while the Chronarch has a sexy gold spool the Core is something that Dartrh Vader must have designed in color scheme, the pearlescent black and the anodized metallic red spool do make the reel look ........ EVIL , like this:

:evil22:

The dark side is evident in it ;) .
Raul,

It is obvious that the within you, the force is strong but resist the dark side you must.
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:00 pm

In defense of TDZ...

Why is everyone still comparing to this reel and looking to surpass it when it is a design that is nearly a decade old? :thinking:

Yes it has some flaws, but aside from CRBB, average drag, and weak paint...there is not much. Just wonder how good it would be with just the addition of an oversized main gear and better drag? AND, IMO, it is a more solid reel with as good if not better fit and ergonomics vs the Met Mg/Core line-up.

And I agree Jeff, Daiwa's advertising campaign is too much sometimes. That's why I just stick with their JDM and high-end US offerings...a lot less confusion to deal with. ;)

senkoman85
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by senkoman85 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:24 pm

Not to go completely off topic but in reference to Daiwa's marketing, does anyone feel that it gives them a better price on a reel???

For instance:

If I sell Red Apples for a dollar a piece, you're only going to buy so many red apples.

But if I sell Red Apples, Light Red Apples, Dark Red Apples, and Special Edition Apples, you're more likely to buy more apples even though it's the same product. Thus, I'm able to offer my apples at a lower price then my competitors because I am selling them under 4 names...and potentially have 4 times as many customers.

I'm not saying it's a BRILLIANT idea on Daiwa's part, but it's a thought that I had at 130am....

raul
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by raul » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:10 am

Nickk wrote:I imagine the lack of bearing in the handle where they cut weight but I'm a newb at this.
Nope, the wight saving from not having the bearing ( s ) under the knobs is minimal. It´s Shimanos response to a necessity. No Daiwa magnesium reels should be fished in salt/ brackish water, the magnesium is exposed and it will corrode.

Shimano unlike Daiwa came out with a special coating that makes magensium resistant to corrosion by salt ( that´s what they say ) so the idea was to offer a feather weight bc to the saltwater wade enthusiast, thus no bearings under the knobs that may corrode.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:32 pm

MG reels will corrode even if protected by special coating/paint/etc.

It just takes a scratch, SW and time.

I have seen some very bad MG corrsion pics on Shimano SW approved MG reels.

ShoreBound
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ShoreBound » Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:29 am

senkoman85 wrote:...If I sell Red Apples for a dollar a piece, you're only going to buy so many red apples.

But if I sell Red Apples, Light Red Apples, Dark Red Apples, and Special Edition Apples, you're more likely to buy more apples even though it's the same product. Thus, I'm able to offer my apples at a lower price then my competitors because I am selling them under 4 names...and potentially have 4 times as many customers...
If you noticed it works with cars, too:
- Dodge Caravan, Chrysler Town & Country
- Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, DSM Eagle Talon
- Suzuki Sidekick, Chevrolet Tracker, Pontiac Sunrunner, Asuna Sunrunner
- Dodge Neon, Plymouth Neon, Chrysler Neon
- Ford Villager, Nissan Quest
etc., etc... :lol:

Fishingboy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Fishingboy » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:26 am

dragon1 wrote:MG reels will corrode even if protected by special coating/paint/etc.

True. I would never exposed my Mg reels to even brackish water. Nevertheless, i've seen pictures on other fishing forums of Mg reels used in saltwater environment. most noticeably the Steez, Pixy and even TD-ito, used for saltwater fishing. we have some people out there would just don't appreciate their gear.

Dave079
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dave079 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:34 am

Fishingboy wrote:
dragon1 wrote:MG reels will corrode even if protected by special coating/paint/etc.

True. I would never exposed my Mg reels to even brackish water. Nevertheless, i've seen pictures on other fishing forums of Mg reels used in saltwater environment. most noticeably the Steez, Pixy and even TD-ito, used for saltwater fishing. we have some people out there would just don't appreciate their gear.
My friend has used his Stella and Steez spinning reels in salt/brackish water now for over 2 years and there isnt an ounce of corrosion on his. His fishes at least 2-3 days a week and cleans them every trip. They are both made with MG.

senkoman85
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by senkoman85 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:56 am

There's a huge difference in fishing your mg reels in the saltwater, babying them and washing them good after each trip and fishing your mg reels in the salt, throwing them around dinging them up, and propping them in a corner when you're done.

The Shimano MG reels are fine in the salt as long as you take proper care of the reels. I know guys that put a coat of wax on them as a second barrier to the elements.

Choupique
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Choupique » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:59 am

I wanted a light saltwater reel, without the mg worries. got an alphas. sure it doesn’t have the HEG gearing, but I haven’t lost a redfish yet, plus $150 less than core.

Dave079
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dave079 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:54 pm

Choupique wrote:I wanted a light saltwater reel, without the mg worries. got an alphas. sure it doesn’t have the HEG gearing, but I haven’t lost a redfish yet, plus $150 less than core.
Hey I see you live in BR. Where do you fish at?

Choupique
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Choupique » Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:55 pm

Hey man, I fish mostly down in Leeville and Fourchon but I frequent Buras and Hopedale a good bit too... where ever I can sneak my kayak in. lol

bckfc.org

Dave079
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dave079 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:25 pm

Choupique wrote:Hey man, I fish mostly down in Leeville and Fourchon but I frequent Buras and Hopedale a good bit too... where ever I can sneak my kayak in. lol

bckfc.org
Awesome man. I fish mainly out of Hopedale/Delacroix. My best friend guides down there also.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:32 pm

Good point senkoman.