Pixy use

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
reelblues
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Pixy use

Post by reelblues » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:47 am

I'm getting ready to finally take a couple of my Pixy's to my last bass Tournament. I was hoping to get a couple of used dinged one's to fish with, but they won't be here for awhile. While I was looking around, I saw several Pixy's that were really scratched up. Most of the heavier use ones showed a lot of scratches. However, I went and inspected my old reels of different brands, and the only reel I had that showed any wear was an old Chronarch (peeling). I could not find a scratch on any of my Extreme reels. I have used these reels A LOT and they aren't scratched or pitted at all. I fish in a carpeted boat, but don't take any measures to protect my reels.

So, my question is, Pixy owners, do you think the finish on the Pixy is any more susceptible to scratches or pits, or whatever? This question is mainly for the guys that boat fish and lay them on the carpet. Do most of you pamper your Pixys? Do you think they ding up any more than other reels? And, what do you think the finish is? Paint? Powder coat? I would hate to scratch one of my new ones up on its' first run.
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after"
Thoreau

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Pixy use

Post by Nitroman77 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:35 pm

All my reels have daiwa neo reels covers...8 bucks moeny well spent considering what they are protecting. I fish out of a carpeted bass boat and all my reels have covers on them till the are used and they look the same now as they did when I bought them. 8-)
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

The Natural
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by The Natural » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:35 pm

Yes. The airy red Pixy and TD-Z do not use a traditional paint followed up by a clear coat. To achieve a matte finish they are just spraying the reel with a couple of coats of laquer, minus the clear. The clearcoat, much like on your car's finish, is much harder and more durable than the paint itself. Beautiful finish, but to keep it that way you will need to keep your reel covers handy. The Sol/Fuego/Alphas (purple), and Zillion are all Daiwas I've owned that had a more durable, clearcoated finish. The Zillion essentially has the same lacquer as the TD-Z, but has a nice clearcoat protecting it. Just be a little more careful not to throw it down, but the finish doesn't reflect the reels ability to be abused by fishing it hard...I've put mine on my pitching rods with heavy fluoro, and they will work hard. LIne capacity is the only limitation with the pixy.

reelblues
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by reelblues » Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:59 pm

Sorry, I guess I should have said I was talking about the yellow and orange. I can see the red paint doesn't seem as durable as the others. The yellow and orange seem to have a good paint job. When I tournament fish, I don't have the time to put covers on. Does anyone use them "normal", putting them on the carpet floor, stapped down? Thats how I do all my others and they do fine. I feel like the Pixy, Y & O would be fine. I don't think I have read any posts that sounded like someone was tournament style fishing with their Pixy, or any of the other Limited models.

Anyone use them that way?
Thoreau

Lightninrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Lightninrod » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:04 pm

I don't tournament fish but I fish about 12 hours a week, spread over 4 or 5 days. I have no rod lockers on my little boat so the two orange Pixies(and one Sol) get banged around and so far, no paint deterioration. They have become my favorite reels....after DR tuned them ;) . I throw just about everything with them except for baits of 1+ ounces.

Dan

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:11 pm

What is "tournament" style fishing? :roll:
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

dampeoples
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by dampeoples » Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:33 pm

Tournament style fishing is the opposite of this:

skeeterboy77 wrote:All my reels have daiwa neo reels covers...8 bucks moeny well spent considering what they are protecting. I fish out of a carpeted bass boat and all my reels have covers on them till the are used and they look the same now as they did when I bought them.
Nothing wrong with covering your reels, or tossing them down to grab a fish either. His question was legitimate. My Tx partner shows up with his reels covered up, but I keep him pretty busy with the net, so his reels get scratched up pretty badly, but he steps on my rods, so it's ok :)

I do not own a pixy yet, but if The Natural is correct, then yes, it will not hold up as well as your Extremes, maybe just take them pre-fishing :)

bigpapajim
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bigpapajim » Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:36 pm

dampeoples wrote:Tournament style fishing is the opposite of this:

skeeterboy77 wrote:All my reels have daiwa neo reels covers...8 bucks moeny well spent considering what they are protecting. I fish out of a carpeted bass boat and all my reels have covers on them till the are used and they look the same now as they did when I bought them.

Exactly! =))))

splash
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by splash » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:18 pm

I have the Airy Red and the Amber Orange and they have both held up better than the TD-Z's as far as finish and there probably isn't anybody on here that abuses their stuff worse than me on tourney day. As a matter of fact, the last batch I got back from servicing from D.R. had a note with them saying they were cleaned, lubed and ready for more of my abuse! LOL I have been impressed with the durability of their finish, but I would recommend leaving them home on "T" day if you are afraid to get a scratch on them.

reelblues
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by reelblues » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:21 pm

Thanks Dampeoples, that's the best laugh I had today. I don't think I explained myself well (what else is new). I love my Pixies, and want to use one to fish this week. I felt like the yellow and orange had a durable finish. I have bought a couple of dinged ones to use, but they are not here yet. So, I had to break out a NIB one. I felt if I handled it the same as my other reels, it would be fine. But, in all the posts I've read, I could tell everyone was really careful and probably not fishing all helter skelter like I do in a competition. And that is how it should be with Limited stuff. I just had to decide if I wanted to break down and use a new one, or wait till the scratched ones got here.

Lightnin, Splash, I think you answered my question. Thanks. This site has made me paranoid, as well as broke. I had never even heard of "boat rash" before I landed here. You know, I was surprised today on how good all my reels looked, most still looked new. BTW, I decided to put the new one back in the box and just wait on the dinged ones to get here. I'm sure D.R. needs work this winter.

I think I'll head over to the bass fishing forum and start a thread on "The reel question, covered or naked?". You know, those competitive bass fishermen don't have a sense of humor. :lol:
Thoreau

ShoreBound
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ShoreBound » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:24 am

There's a new 2008 St. Croix Avid coming out, AVS63MLXF (6' 3", Med. Light, X-Fast, 4-8lb, 1/16-3/8oz) that should also be available as a blank. The moment I handled it in the tackle store, I thought "PIXY!" One more little shove, I will also probably fall over into the dark side.

Just a question, are there just too few lefty Airy-red Pixies made or are they just on demand. They always show "not in stock".

NW Fisher
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NW Fisher » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:50 am

I got mine on evilbay. They seem to be a bit harder to come by than the Yellows or Oranges as of late. Keep your eyes peeled and they can be had for a decent price. I will be sending it to DR for his expert touch this winter.

Jake

reelblues
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by reelblues » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:47 pm

Shore,
You best be careful! Those little reels are ADDICTIVE! I have seen a couple recently in ebay stores. NW must have beat you to it. Keep an eye out, they pop up every so often.
Thoreau