Mitchell UL reel?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Papageno1791
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Mitchell UL reel?

Post by Papageno1791 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:04 am

Hi guys!
I am looking for a reel to be matched to one of my UL trout rods. The reel need to be black (body) with golden highlights. It can be golden body with black highlights, although I prefer the former.
In the real enthusiast category I found only the Daiwa Steez 2004, BUT, that size is too big for my rod. Now, I was searching other Japanese sites and found the Mitchell Avocet G series. Ah, yes, I know you can buy it in Walmart for less than 30 dollars, but they have a 500/1000 size in the colors I am looking for.
Has anyone tried one of those reels? What's your opinion about it? Are they made in China? I don't believe I am looking at that stuff, but I cannot find an imported beautiful reel with the characteristics I require.
Do you have a suggestion for a trout reel in the colors I am looking for? Is the body of the new Stella black? Do you know if a Daiwa Steez 1003 is coming out next year?
I guess I should ask Daiwa to build it... :lol:
---- Catch & Release -----

Shortlite
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Mitchell UL reel?

Post by Shortlite » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:32 pm

Daiwa Presso. Black, silver and gold, but it's a beautiful colour scheme.

Papageno1791
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Papageno1791 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:43 pm

Shortlite wrote:Daiwa Presso. Black, silver and gold, but it's a beautiful colour scheme.
I have a Daiwa Presso. The highlights are orange, not gold. I agree, it is very beautiful, but not the colors I want :|

Shortlite
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Shortlite » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:36 pm

Quite right you are Papa.

Gekkabijin then maybe? Tell the truth, something fairly high end, ultralight/light, wearing the little black dress and gold trims IS pretty rare when you think about it.

Maybe have to get something stripped down and custom painted. I know I've considered that option many a time.

Papageno1791
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Papageno1791 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:55 pm

Shortlite wrote:Gekkabijin then maybe? Tell the truth, something fairly high end, ultralight/light, wearing the little black dress and gold trims IS pretty rare when you think about it.

Maybe have to get something stripped down and custom painted. I know I've considered that option many a time.
I have a Gekkabijin too :lol: But those are not the "right" colors :|
I need a color combination like the reel in the picture (or is that dark blue?), but spinning in a 1000 (or 500) size, and high end quality. Not necessarily Daiwa or Shimano, if you know any other options please let me know.
Attachments
picicast2007reelsa06.jpg
picicast2007reelsa06.jpg (56.89 KiB) Viewed 4237 times

mrgadget
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by mrgadget » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:24 pm

The previous model of the Mitchell 310XG holds 100 yds 4# line. It would probably appeal to you. It was black frame with gold crank, and gold spool.

The new XGe has more silver highlights and mostly would not meet your criteria.

Gadget

Ranger 619VS
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Ranger 619VS » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:37 pm

ST Croix rebadges Daiwa the 1000 size reels and sells them under their own name. The reel is black. Its a bit heavy for a 500/1000 size reel but it is fairly smooth. Think it is based on the Daiwa harbodyz from a few years ago. I used to use them alot before moving to 1000 Stella/Twinpower. I believe Cabela's had them for sale not long ago.. The St Croix reel was called the premier 750. Also how about the smallest size penn spinfisher.....fairly light and black and gold.
450ssg

Ranger 619VS

Fbass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Fbass » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:05 am

Older team daiwa are gold and black. It might hard to find the size you're after.

Papageno1791
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Papageno1791 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:58 am

Thank guys for all your suggestions!
The Mitchell Gold 300X series look beautiful and I think it will be a great match for my rod (just the looks). But after reading some reviews I decided this is not what I want :|
As for the St.Croix, I didn't really like it.
Decided, I am getting a Daiwa Steez 2004 8-)