Question for people with top end stuff (steez/MB/GC/etc)

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
outrnm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Question for people with top end stuff (steez/MB/GC/etc)

Post by outrnm » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:46 pm

I have a serious question for people who drop $1000+ on a combo. This includes everyone with top end JDM gear. Do you fish and abuse your top of the line stuff on regular basis? Ive been seeing a lot of posts on limited warranty from companies like megabass which makes me believe that people who have such sticks are always babying them. Maybe I am completely wrong. I myself stick to Croix avid/legend/shimano crucial/Loomis, and use everything like it was designed, stuff gets scratched up and broken, and I know I will have a new Croix or Loomis rod at my door within a few days, so I am never worried. All my reels are US versions so I can always get parts, no crazy JDM parts and limited warranties to deal with. I can’t imagine taking a $500 Megabass rod with a $600 ITO reel just to have it slide down the rocks while handling a fish or something similar. Thus my curiosity on the subject, because lets get real if you are really "babying" your gear your not really fishing 100%. :lol:

superman_36
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Question for people with top end stuff (steez/MB/GC/etc)

Post by superman_36 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:00 pm

I have some decent rods and reels and fish them 100% every time. Just because you are sloppy/rough with you stuff doesn't mean you aren't fishing 100%. I feel that people have a misconception that if you gear isn't nicked up and scratched you aren't fishing it right :!: I just have the common courtesy for the gear I buy no matter what it is mountain bikes, tools, fishing gear, it doesn't matter. I was raised that way take care of it and it will last, the fact that I buy high-end gear that is just by choice. :D

Want
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Want » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:23 pm

Do you fish and abuse your top of the line stuff on regular basis?
Perhaps it would help if you could explain what you mean by the term "abuse"?

outrnm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by outrnm » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:33 pm

Maybe I didn’t make myself clear; by use 100%/abuse I do mean FISH with it not kick it and throw it. I mean pulling lunkers out of the weeds, etc... In all my years of fishing I have never broken a rod or reel accidentally (as in car door etc). The very few peaces that did break happened during fish-on type deals or on hard hooksets. I take care of all my gear extremely well, but fishing is fishing and when you are pulling a lunker at night off the rocks sh*t happens, as well as boat rash thus was my question.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:53 pm

I take care of my gear...reel covers back on before I make a run up the lake...that sort of thing. So I guess I don't fish 100%. Of course, I'm not tournament fishing so I fail to see the point of introducing that sort of stress into what is one of my gr8est pleasures. :roll:
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:53 pm

I dont baby it, but I do take care of my gear. My reels are always covered with neo reel covers when not in use. My rods are covered when and from transport, but I fish the crap out of my gear. :lol: Oh and my reels dont have scratches on them, but maybe 2 of them ask people who have bought from me. 8-)
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

Want
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Want » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:03 pm

I take care of all my gear extremely well, but fishing is fishing and when you are pulling a lunker at night off the rocks sh*t happens, as well as boat rash thus was my question.
I think you just answered your own question.

BTW, unlike your experience, over the years, I have broken rods in doors, stepped on a VERY special fly rod, recently snapped a Sage muskie rod while casting a 3/8 oz. spinnerbait, jammed, broke a Sa-ku-ra, and so on. Perhaps the universe is talking to me. :lol:

Anyway, I am keenly aware that I don't fish as HARD as I used to even as recently as 5 years ago (age can do that) nor can I fish even remotely as much as a lot of the guys on this board. However, when I do fish, I give 100% and expect the same from my tackle: what I can't get in quantity anymore, I get in quality. I tremendously enjoy the precision of the JDM equipment I own. Of course I use rod socks and reel covers when I transport them, but in the boat: it's fishing, not babying.

GamblerHydra
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GamblerHydra » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:06 pm

I fish my gear hard, and my friends and family fish it harder. Case in point after a week on the white river. Exist 2506 main shaft bent at a 45 and inoperable. Boat rash is substantial. GLoomis GLX trout stick broken. Main shaft ordered, and loomis expediter service used. I will be back in business in days with the gear. However, I fished my boron trout sticks, and bamboo sticks with no warranty just as hard. If they break that just gives me a reason to buy another. Float fishing Rivers tend to be unforgiving and I usually incur substanial losses each year. Sunglassess, motors, boats, props ect drive losses as well. It is just part of it. Fishing tournaments are even worse.

I throw caution to the wind, and I fully expect my gear to fail at some point. I am not a rod commie and do not buy on warranty. Then again , I am not afraid to call a spade a spade. Price and durabilty do not always go hand and hand.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:15 pm

There's a very wide line between pushing your tackle to the limits and being an a$$hole. I fish the rocks, docks, stumps, bumps and all and probably fish the tackle harder than I did my old mainstream stuff. Work hard, play hard.

outrnm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by outrnm » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:37 pm

Hypothetical question; you hook a 10+lbr he takes you into some thick stuff and gets himself tangled under some stump just a few feet under. Your alone, your choices are

a) Try to tug him out and risk loosing the fish/break the line
b) Get off the boat/shore into the spot, hold the line with one hand and get the fish/stump with the other, (drop/drag your JDM rod/reel into the muck/bottom/rocks/sand and risk that but get the fish).

:lol: The choice is easy for me... :lol:

GamblerHydra
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GamblerHydra » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:50 pm

With the scenerio you describe I would not risk damaging even my fully warrantied rods, unless money was on the line. However, in that case there would be no leaving the boat anyways. Sometimes the fish wins, and if she had me wrapped up like that , and I could not fineese, or power her out touche to her.

The lone exception would be if I was fishing my $300 Rago Tool swimbait. Then I am going in disqualified or not. :lol:

tonym
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tonym » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:33 pm

mhood wrote:I take care of my gear...reel covers back on before I make a run up the lake...that sort of thing. So I guess I don't fish 100%. Of course, I'm not tournament fishing so I fail to see the point of introducing that sort of stress into what is one of my gr8est pleasures. :roll:
Bingo.
When it gets to that point it's time to hang up the hat. :evil:
Fishing is an enjoyment in so many ways. Self, family, friends... You obviously want to take care of the "things" you own, but at the same time you can't let it rule your life. ;)
If you like to collect tackle then keep your collectables off the water. ;)

BassFreak
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BassFreak » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:52 pm

outrnm wrote:Hypothetical question; you hook a 10+lbr he takes you into some thick stuff and gets himself tangled under some stump just a few feet under. Your alone, your choices are

a) Try to tug him out and risk loosing the fish/break the line
b) Get off the boat/shore into the spot, hold the line with one hand and get the fish/stump with the other, (drop/drag your JDM rod/reel into the muck/bottom/rocks/sand and risk that but get the fish).

:lol: The choice is easy for me... :lol:

I probably would.. really cant say until you're there I guess..

What I do see is that the "hypothetical question" does NOT result in 100% fishing hard either way you answer. What if its a 1lb fish that wrapped you up? do you still dive in for her? yes/no It doesnt reflect how hard you fish..

I fish the same way with all my stuff, expensive and not so expensive.. they are all taken cared of in a practical and reasonable manner. As for baby-ing them, does putting reel covers constitute baby-ing? The way I see it, The manner of how you take care of your stuff, does not reflect on how hard you fish..

Stringjam
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Stringjam » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:13 am

Is trolling considered 100% fishing? ;)

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:16 am

=))))
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker