Topwater baits!

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
sean
Angler
Angler

Topwater baits!

Post by sean » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:48 pm

Hey everyone,

Just wondering what everyone looks for in a topwater lure (specifically wooden). I thought this would be the perfect place to ask because you are all experts in tackle. I am looking for answers pertaining to body color, size, and head details (gills - shape and/or bleeding gills preference, mouth -yes or no, cupped?, eyes - color?, scales?....meaning what is important to you, what do you look for? if anything at all!) I appreciate any answers that you can provide.

Thanks a lot,
Sean

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Topwater baits!

Post by GAMEOVER » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:05 pm

sean wrote:Hey everyone,

Just wondering what everyone looks for in a topwater lure (specifically wooden). I thought this would be the perfect place to ask because you are all experts in tackle. I am looking for answers pertaining to body color, size, and head details (gills - shape and/or bleeding gills preference, mouth -yes or no, cupped?, eyes - color?, scales?....meaning what is important to you, what do you look for? if anything at all!) I appreciate any answers that you can provide.

Thanks a lot,
Sean
When looking for new topwater lures I rarely am looking for one thing in a lure and it alone. I look at the whole package your getting. For topwater Balsa makes a lot more sense than plastic I really dont know why we dont see more wood topwaters. I look at finish, weight, hooks, eyes, body shape, internal rattles, balance system, props, etc. Just keep reading the forum youll hear very good topwater lures mentioned here and there. If your just starting out I recommend you pick up a couple Heddon Tiny Torpedos and Heddon Zara Spook Jrs to get you started. Fish will hit those two lures in any body of water and topwaters starting to pick up this time of year and build momentum. So hit the water with a couple of these baits and fish them patiently with confidence, once you get that strike youll be hooked. Good Luck.