Is the TD-ITO Still King??

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Is the TD-ITO Still King??

Post by Nitroman77 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:32 pm

Between the TD-ito, Steez, Conquest 51, Type R+, Custom TDZs I would rate them as such..Both of my top 2 reels have the spool tension knobs loose enough to where the bait drops like a rock on free-spool and I can cast the heck out of them without any backlash, Unless really windy..My steez I had to tighten that thing down and it still would have problems with backlash. The conquest is one sweet lil reel and is very close to the others, but that ITO is such a sweet casting/pitting reel.

PS: all 4 reels are with stock bearings, and spools.

TD-ito/ Worming reel
Type R+/ my SB reel
Steez/ Was a jig reel then sold.
Conquest/ My Crank Reel
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

tonym
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tonym » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:32 pm

GAMEOVER wrote: Someone just about sold me on Gan Craft.. and if I dont like it hes getting crap listed (j/k :) but im serious :not talking: ).
And if you don't like it you can send it to me for further testing. ;) :lol:
BlackRock Custom Fishing Rods.
http://www.brooklynbillstackleshop.com

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:40 pm

tonym wrote:This is why you really need to take advice from members like Johnny A. Gamblerhydra, and Illini. They either have or have had all these reels in question and will give you a non biased opinion.
I think someone is missing from that list, but... I can't seem to put my finger on whom... :-k

=))))
GAMEOVER wrote:Cal sold me on the Elseil so I take his word even more serious then before with purchases.
Oh gee... thanks, nice to know I've earned your trust :worried:

=))))
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:41 pm

I think the TD ITO is a nice reel ,but its just to overpriced right now,the biggest avantage to this reel was the performance from the spool,casting distance and throwing lighter baits was a big plus.ITS nice to have a reel like that that not alot of people own. but the problem with these reels is that they are way overpriced ,you pay 450.00 with a reel with scratches on it,when I could buy a brand new steez for that price.Its hard find a reliable source for these reels ,because they lie about the condition of them.and the only guy you can trust has them charges too much.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:47 pm

BassFreak wrote:Just would like to remind that for the purposes of this thread, we'll limit it to Low profile baitcasters that are "stock" or in the condition you can buy them. As if we would tackle "all" reels, there would be no end to this discussion. And if we open the pandoras box of tuning, swapping parts and upgrading. That would be a long and winding road which ends in personal preferences.

Illini, although the Ito is "tuned", it is still a production reel limited or not, no sense in comparing it to a reel that you have upgraded to your preferences.

Sorry but I don't buy that at all. What difference does it make whether Yuki Ito, D.R., Illini or Daiwa tunes a reel? All the top contenders are tuned. If tuning didn't improve on stock, why tune? I don't think all these TD Ito lovers appreciate their reels for the baby puke green color. And I don't think the Ito Alphas AI is loved for the clear side plate.

A list of the best should include tuned models because tuned models *are* the best.

Pixillas Rule!!!!

:big grin:

GamblerHydra
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GamblerHydra » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:48 pm

Cal wrote:
tonym wrote:This is why you really need to take advice from members like Johnny A. Gamblerhydra, and Illini. They either have or have had all these reels in question and will give you a non biased opinion.
I think someone is missing from that list, but... I can't seem to put my finger on whom... :-k

=))))
SDESIGN?

tonym
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tonym » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:50 pm

Cal wrote:

=))))

Yeah, but the dark one seems to have an unfair advantage in numbers and seem prone to leaning to the side of the custom colored TD-Z. As in one or more of each. :evil22: :lol22:
Last edited by tonym on Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:50 pm

GamblerHydra wrote:
Cal wrote:

=))))
SDESIGN?
:lol:
Cal, Managing Editor

illini
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by illini » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:51 pm

GamblerHydra wrote:
Cal wrote:

=))))
SDESIGN?
Man whatever happend to that cat :-k :lol:

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:54 pm

tonym wrote:
Cal wrote:

=))))

Yeah, but the dark one seems to have an unfair advantage in numbers and seem prone to leaning to the side of the custom colored TD-Z. As in one or more of each. :evil22: :lol22:
Hmm... i see.. jealous are we? ;)

plus I'm liable to give you some kind of answer like, there really is no BEST... only best for YOU crap, hah? ;)
Cal, Managing Editor

tonym
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tonym » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:55 pm

Cal wrote:
tonym wrote:
Cal wrote:

=))))

Hmm... i see.. jealous are we? ;)

plus I'm liable to give you some kind of answer like, there really is no BEST... only best for YOU crap, hah? ;)
This is why there is an alter ego who not on staff. :P

GamblerHydra
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GamblerHydra » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:58 pm

GAMEOVER wrote: Someone just about sold me on Gan Craft.. and if I dont like it hes getting crap listed (j/k :) but im serious :not talking: ).
Hopefully, not the $700 model. :shock: Let Yendor and I be the guinea pigs for a while. Start with the base model first. I saw your response ,and I still would recommend you get a Shiryu and the base Dictator before the new rod.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:02 pm

GamblerHydra wrote:
Hopefully, not the $700 model. :shock: Let Yendor and I be the guinea pigs for a while. Start with the base model first. I saw your response ,and I still would recommend you get a Shiryu and the base Dictator before the new rod.
no no no... let him get it and be the guinea pig then we can get it at a discount if he doesn't like it and decides to sell it later :evil22:

:lol:
Cal, Managing Editor

BassFreak
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BassFreak » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:59 pm

mhood wrote:
BassFreak wrote:Just would like to remind that for the purposes of this thread, we'll limit it to Low profile baitcasters that are "stock" or in the condition you can buy them. As if we would tackle "all" reels, there would be no end to this discussion. And if we open the pandoras box of tuning, swapping parts and upgrading. That would be a long and winding road which ends in personal preferences.

Illini, although the Ito is "tuned", it is still a production reel limited or not, no sense in comparing it to a reel that you have upgraded to your preferences.

Sorry but I don't buy that at all. What difference does it make whether Yuki Ito, D.R., Illini or Daiwa tunes a reel? All the top contenders are tuned. If tuning didn't improve on stock, why tune? I don't think all these TD Ito lovers appreciate their reels for the baby puke green color. And I don't think the Ito Alphas AI is loved for the clear side plate.

A list of the best should include tuned models because tuned models *are* the best.

Pixillas Rule!!!!

:big grin:
I understand what youre saying here, but its a looong road which might end up in a "I like gold knobs better than cork knobs" discussion. As for performance tuning, its all good and well, but for guys who dont care to work on their reels, a non production "tuned" reel (i.e. Pixzilla) is pretty much impossible to get. all in all, I just wanted to narrow the choices a bit or else we'd have a hundred different reels with different upgrades in the discussion.

Some reels might be great for certain applications and do horrible in others. Basically, I was curious if the ITO is outdated at this point in time with the advent of new technology and reels that have come out. If I was walking around the local lake with only 1 rod & reel set up, which would be my best choice for various techniques and applications that I may encounter during the day. Right now, I'd be bringing the TD-ITO, and wonder if theres something that is significantly better out there. as for the rod, we'll probably have to save that for anothe discussion.. hehe..

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GAMEOVER » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:56 pm

:lol: You guys are too much sometimes.