If you had a choice..which would you choose...why?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
nysmo240
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: If you had a choice..which would you choose...why?

Post by nysmo240 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:25 pm

I just received my 6'7" Steez TODAY (having NEVER seen or held one before I bought it)!!! She's a beauty and I can't wait to get on the water this weekend. She's light as a feather and I would say as light or lighter than a GLX of comparable specs. And I have NO DOUBT in my mind that she'll be just as sensitive, if not more than the GLXs. My Alphas Ito is coming off my SC Legend Elite for her...and the LE is slightly heavier and has a slightly faster taper too. Steez all the way!!!

Bassin Tom
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bassin Tom » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:27 pm

Just because something is new does not always make it better than what is already out. I would have to first compare all the specs. side by side of each rod. Then be able to fish the new one along side the older one and catch hopefully the same size fish.

I can use the car I own as an example as the new model is shorter both in body style and frame the ride is totally different between the two and the new model is not as smooth of a ride as older model.

Hence change is not always a good thing. Like my grandfather would say why fix what is not broken. ;)

Now that I have said all this I would stick with my G Loomis rods and maybe try a Steez if I had the chance. :)

just4kix
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by just4kix » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:31 pm

MBR783C all the way. Great all around rod. ;)

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GAMEOVER » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:11 pm

Dont even have to think about it.. the Steez is superior for me. I wont buy a GLX ever if I do itd be just a GLX blank for a custom rod.

Why the Steez? Because im an enthusiast so id pick the Steez for sure!

Wny not the GLX? Because the only thing good on this rod is its blank, atleast for me..

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:17 pm

Choice of either free of charge? Hey, wait a minute, is this a trick question? :-k

Steez of course...I could always sell it for the $$$ to buy the GLX and still have some $$$ left over for some other stuff.

All things being equal in blank weight/quality/sensitivity/strength

Loomis really starts to look overpriced when their components are broken down vs the competition, esp for the price. Kinda like Kistler IMO. Their saving graces for both are the actions, fishability, customer service and blank quality.

For me, I would not buy a GLX factory rod unless the deal was stupid good...if I am going to own GLoomis' best, it would have to be a custom.

AmericanSkin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by AmericanSkin » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:56 pm

These Loomis VS the World (in fishing terms, anyway) posts are always interesting to read. For a company that's held in such high regard by a large contingent of anglers, it's amazing that there are an equal number of consumers that are repulsed by the same rods. The divisions in fishing technology, aesthetics, and brand loyalties are fascinating from a psychological as well as practical perspective.

My tangental nonsense aside, I'd go with the GLX. Those rods are tools of the trade, plain and simple. In all of my experience with high end graphites, domestic as well as JDM, nothing beats the precision sensitivity of a GLX blank. As some others have posted, colored winding checks and aluminum forenuts do not necessarily provide for the best fishing experience. The guides and the blank are, in my opinion, the most important components of a rod and Loomis uses incredible products as far as they're concerned. I've actually fished the Steez and the GLX together, and both are incredible sticks. The GLX, despite its traditionalist (perhaps dated) styling and minimal aesthetic appeal, simply exhibited better performance.

Don't get me wrong, there's a place and time for all things fishing, and aesthetics are of course significant (though there are many anglers out there who actually prefer the simple cues of Loomis rods and other domestic companies). When it comes to outright performance, the GLX takes top marks in my book.

Dragon makes a good point here as well. A custom built rod on a GLX blank with the aesthetic appeal of JDM could be the best bet. The cost is staggering, however, with the cost of the blank itself. To each his/her own.
Last edited by AmericanSkin on Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GamblerHydra
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GamblerHydra » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:56 pm

GLX for the sole reason they still have several rods that are as good as it gets.

Captain Chaos
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Captain Chaos » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:28 am

Nice topic there USA Ret. I think the only people who can truly give a good answer is someone who owns both rods. I am planning on pulling the trigger on the Steez over the summer but a custom GLX sounds intriguing for sure.

da house of hardy #1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by da house of hardy #1 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:40 am

Captain Chaos wrote:custom GLX sounds
Custom is custom...Factory rod is a factory rod ;)

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:54 am

Of course, if Gary Dobyns was allowed to design some GLXs for Loomis, that would be my course for a Factory rod. ;)

OR...GLoomis could start using better components on their GLX like SC uses w/the SCV...even if the guides aren't Titanium Framed, but just Titanium Coated, the guides are still Fuji SIC Concepts.

Agree however, the IMX/GLX have been the standard for over two decades for good reason.

Bass Pro
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass Pro » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:11 am

OR...GLoomis could start using better components on their GLX like SC uses w/the SCV...even if the guides aren't Titanium Framed, but just Titanium Coated, the guides are still Fuji SIC Concepts.
The GLX uses Fuji SiC guides (same ones as St Croix Legend Elite). Or, are you referring to the BCR series with recoils?

tonym
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tonym » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:30 am

da house of hardy #1 wrote:
Captain Chaos wrote:custom GLX sounds
Custom is custom...Factory rod is a factory rod ;)
Exacly. Could you picture a custom GLX with Ti framed SiC guides or gold cermet, custom paited reel seat(spinning or casting) some cool dohickys from Matagi, Hypalon grips. split handle with a carbon fiber sleeve over the blank with your own logo clear coated onto to the carbon fiber. Oh baby. I'm drooling. Now if I could just aquire the skill to pull it off. :-k

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:35 am

tonym wrote:Exacly. Could you picture a custom GLX with Ti framed SiC guides or gold cermet, custom paited reel seat(spinning or casting) some cool dohickys from Matagi, Hypalon grips. split handle with a carbon fiber sleeve over the blank with your own logo clear coated onto to the carbon fiber. Oh baby. I'm drooling. Now if I could just aquire the skill to pull it off. :-k
something like this? ;)
Attachments
CustomGLX01.jpg
CustomGLX01.jpg (48.5 KiB) Viewed 3778 times
CustomGLX02.jpg
CustomGLX02.jpg (49.83 KiB) Viewed 3778 times

da house of hardy #1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by da house of hardy #1 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:39 am

Where's your logo, Cal??? :lol: That's a nice stick :shock:

RAT
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by RAT » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:46 am

CAL, You have the most way cool toys. Can I come over and play in you'r play ground some day? :D