alphas's

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
THEbassmaster
Angler
Angler

alphas's

Post by THEbassmaster » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:22 pm

what are the differences between the Alphlas 103F and the Alphas 103L? the only thing i can think of is the purple on the 103L, but not sure
thanks

aaron

superman_36
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: alphas's

Post by superman_36 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:26 pm

the F comes in a left hand model also

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:34 pm

The F does not come with CRBB's so it is not recommended for saltwater. I think ChuckE mentioned something about different materials for the gears between the two reels as well, but i forget.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

raul
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by raul » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:35 pm

Regular Alphas ( purple ) 6 CORROSION resistant bearings, weight 6.4 oz
Alphas Type F ( silver ) 8 bearings, weight 6.2 oz
Alphas Itö ( polished aluminum ) LIMITED EDITION 6 bearings, Type R+ rotor, weight 6.0 ounces

All of them are manufactured in right anf left versions.

thongchai
Angler
Angler

Post by thongchai » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:55 am

raul wrote:Regular Alphas ( purple ) 6 CORROSION resistant bearings
6 CRBBs? Think there's only 4. The other 2 are not. Information taken from Daiwa Japan website.

http://fishing.daiwa21.com/index.asp?ItemID=2034
Attachments
barealphasp04.jpg
barealphasp04.jpg (10.09 KiB) Viewed 3872 times

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:13 pm

Another question regarding the Alphas, do the CRBB's cost more? The reason I ask is, GINRIN has the Alphas F for $10USD less than the original Alphas (purple version). I would've thought the 2 additional bearings would cost more.

zenbassr
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zenbassr » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:11 pm

Winstondry wrote:... do the CRBB's cost more?
yep, in some cases almost 2x as much...

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:49 am

Thanks Joe. So any opinions on which would be better for throwing small splitshot style plastics between the Alphas F and the original Alphas? I like the coolness factor of the color on the original Alphas but the F model is lighter and more bearings. Soliciting any opinions from experience or any ejumikated guesses from any others too.

Joe, catch anything with the Hudd yet?

ChuckE
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by ChuckE » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:58 am

winston,
I found my origional Alphas and Alphas F cast lighter presentations about the same, even though one had CRBBs and the other didn't. So, once you get past the brackish/saltwater vs freshwater differences in the reels, you get down to your own personal preferences...

Only you will be able to determine if the 'bling' of the original Alpha offsets the slightly better feel while cranking and slightly lighter weight of the F. However, the rod you put the new reel on, the presentations you intend to use it for, the amount of time you spend on the water, the importance of bling (after the 'wow' wears off), and how well you take care of your equipment may be some of the other things you want to consider. For instance, if you intend to use the reel on tip-heavy rod, then having a little extra weight from the original may provide better overall balance; if you intend to use the reel for cranks or spinnerbaits then having the extra bearings in the handle can provide for a little easier cranking; if you fish for long periods of time, then having a little less weight can make a big difference in fatigue; if you don't intend to prevent boat rash/chips/etc. then the slightly more durable finish on the original may be a better choice; and if you don't intend to clean and lube the reel regularly, then the original's bearings may be a little more forgiving (although that's really a subjective call).

...just some more things to think about. :)

Chuck

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:23 am

Thanks for the input Chuck.

I’m more of a Shimano fan than Daiwa and the majority of my gear consists of Calais’ Calais DC’s and Calcutta DC’s which I think tend to require less babying due to the hard metal finishes, but they all still get covered when not in my hands or being used. I’m no techie as many of the guys on this board are but I do breakdown my reels and clean and lube bearings fairly regularly.

A little while ago, I purchased a Daiwa TD-Z Custom on Cal’s recommendation. I used the reel sparingly when I first received it and even thought about selling it to one of the other board members here before I really started to put it through it’s paces. It is now one of my favorite reels and have since had siblings added to keep it company… ;-) I just recently purchased a TD A.o.i. and BBS and am now looking for a couple more reels to throw small finesse worms like Fluttercrafts. I intend on putting one on a Megabass F1-60X Elite the other on a custom built rod, both of which are considerably lighter than the GLX rods my Shimano’s are on.

Again, thanks for the reply. I’ll probably get one of the original Alphas to try out.

Alain