Christened the Megabass

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
skinhead
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Christened the Megabass

Post by skinhead » Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:44 am

Hi all,

Took out my new Megabass F2-64XS Ltd / Daiwa TD-R for it's first session this afternoon.

Couldn't fish the river as it's well over the banks after the torrential rain that we've had over the past week. So, I ventured to the lake, to have a go at the pike. The water is about 14"-16" above normal levels and is akin to liquid mud. The weather was mild, overcast and blowing a hooley. Lovely conditions to test a new ultra light kit.

I attatched a 7cm, orange Rapala CDJ to the trace and made my first cast into the corner of a reed bed, half way through the retrieve had a small tap but nowt else. Another cast to the same spot, same tap. Third cast and the tap was a solid hit, fish on. After an energetic scrap a 3lb pike was duly banked and released. During a two hour session I banked four pike to 6lb and lost one.

My obervations on the rod are: It is described by Plat as regular actioned, I would firmly put in to the fast category. The handle is extremely comfortable, and with the TD-R fitted the balance point is about 1cm forward of the spool lip. On casting it coped with all I threw at it, and tip recovery was exceptionally good. It's sensitivity is like nothing that I have experienced previously on a rod, every single wiggle of the CDJ tail was transmitted up the rod to my hand. I also threw a couple of spinners and the transmitted vibration was unbelievable. With a fish on the end it had ample power to subdue the quarry without undue stress.

On downside was with the reel. I put the rod down in the bottom of a boat that I took out to retrieve a lure that I lost on October 1st. The lovely gloss blue finish had scratched through to the frame leaving a nasty mark. On a reel costing £170 / $328 I expected a tougher, longer lasting finish. The reels predecessor a Daiwa 2500ia lasted me five years of hard use without a mark.

I can't wait for conditions to improve so as I can test with some Snap Beans on the river.

Simon :big grin:
Last edited by skinhead on Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Christened the Megabass

Post by Johnny A » Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:26 am

I didn't want to leave an opinion on the action of the F2-64XS, lest anything I say influence your opinion in either direction. I loved that rod and gave it many chances before I just had to let it go. I agree with your fast action comment, it was just a bit fast, maybe a bit soft for tournament bass fishing. It would have been perfect for leisure fishing and I caught many fish but tournament fishing is a whole other beast. Total control is the key and I didn't feel confident of having that level of control. Otherwise, I would recommend it quickly.
Good going and enjoy many more days of angling with your new rod!

illini
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by illini » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:52 pm

Some Megabass's descriptions are deffenitley off or different the were use to. I tend to look at actions like graphite golf shafts slow is like a crankbait ex fast is like a pool cue. I dunno what to think with Megabass.

Nautilus
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Nautilus » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:21 am

Indeed.....I have 4 F4 models that are nowhere near the same power rating whatsoever. My F3.5 that just came in is about like a light action by U.S. standards.......can't even imagine what an F0 would be like! :?
Nautilus......All Roads Lead To The Lake!!!
http://www.440fence.com

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:23 am

Nautilus wrote:can't even imagine what an F0 would be like! :?
Amazing! ;)
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

Nautilus
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Nautilus » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:41 am

Which one do you have Hood?? And do you think it is mislabeled one way or the other? Is there any hook setting ability whaysoever? I'm having to be like a "gentle dentist" when hook setting with 4# line and my F3.5. :lol:

Vidar6
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Vidar6 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:47 am

Here in the UK, or most of northern Europe for that matter, there is no need to haul fish out of the same dense weed covers as you guys have, and therefore you can get away with considerably less powerful rods.

Besides that, a lot depends on what kind of rods and actions anglers traditionally have been using. Let me give an example; nine of ten UK anglers that picks up a St Croix rod for the first time would find it very much underrated, and capable of throwing lures much heavier than specified :) :)
Last edited by Vidar6 on Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:53 am

I've got the F0-60X Elese. It's definitely a UL rod but has a very parabolic action with a really crisp feel. I sure don't consider it a noodle. I've caught a couple of 3# LMB on it and a host of Sandies and it has a surprising strength to it. I use it mainly for 1/8oz topwater work (i.e., Pop-R, Sammy 65, Dog-X Jr.) but also love to toss 1/8oz Rat-L-Traps with it. I haven't tried Texas rigs or jigs with it...I don't imagine the parabolic taper would be a good fit. It might work well for split shot rigs though. My Elese/Pixy rig remains the most fun rig I have. I got past the fear of breaking it a long time ago. But still no crossing their eyes hooksets...nice sweeping hooksets only. :D
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

Nautilus
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Nautilus » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:02 am

Nice!! I want the Pagani DTI rod like GH has but from his description.....it IS a noodle rod. Sounds like a lot of fun, wish I could man-handle it before I buy it though.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:12 am

Don't get me wrong, the Elese is a UL rod...rated down to 2# line and 1/16oz lures. I use Yozuri Soft 4# on it, so I'm really using 8# test. I was struck by the rod's recovery strength...that's what makes it such a fun rod for light topwater. The lack of any butt (i.e., a very parabolic action) makes it great for the small cranks. When you're fighting a fish, you see and feel the whole rod gets into the act...that's where it's strength comes from. I sure don't hoist a 2# bass into the boat with it...I lip most everything. To someone else, the Elese might be considered a noodle but I really adore the rod. It yells at me to fish with it. :lol:
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

Nautilus
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Nautilus » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:31 am

Sound like a blast! I got a production camera with wireless mikes and all so I can chronicle my attempts to learn Lake Texoma and land the new world record blue cat on an ultralight rig.....right now the Presso is the chosen weapon but I'm beginning to love spinning reels now so I may get me one of those F0 or F1 Traditional Art rods to add to the line-up. Ya gotta have more than one rod baited anyways right!!

Where is Lake Leon?

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:06 am

Lake Leon is 10 miles South of I20 between Eastland and Ranger (about midway between Abilene and Weatherford). Sell some fence out here in Eastland County and I'll let you fish with my Pixy/Elese rig. :lol:
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:07 am

I believe Megabass rods and JDM rods as a whole are forcing American anglers to think differently about rod "force" and tapers, where we never really had to. Flippin' sticks were like pool cues, ultra-light rods were like noodles.
With Megabass, you can take an F2 rod which would be partially medium-light, I sort of disagree with Jun's classification scale. Many American anglers just try to force a template or scale that fits our perceptions where it may not exist or suitable. A comparison might be English vs Metric measurements, i.e.; 28 grams to an ounce or 2.2 cm to an inch. It's an approximation, yes, but is it truly accurate?
Sorry for the tangent, anyway we classify these rods to our own end in order to provide a standard on one measurement. Now, take that F2 rod in an extra-fast taper, yes, you have a noodle rod. Take that same F2 rod but with a slow taper, you have about an American medium.

Nautilus
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Nautilus » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:36 am

mhood wrote:Lake Leon is 10 miles South of I20 between Eastland and Ranger (about midway between Abilene and Weatherford). Sell some fence out here in Eastland County and I'll let you fish with my Pixy/Elese rig. :lol:
That's not as far as I thought. I sell plenty of fence in Weatherford so maybe next time I'm out that way I'll drop you a line. I've never met another enthusiast in-person :D . I'll be working the entire Ft. Worth Fat Stock Show so maybe I can squeeze in a little fishing time......I'd love to see that rod before I buy one.

Johnny.....True Dat!! USDM doesn't list tapers much and it has everything to do with understanding rod specs.