'19 Steez ct sv tw

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
poisonokie
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1481
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:34 pm
Location: NW OKC OK USA

Re: '19 Steez ct sv tw

Post by poisonokie » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:39 pm

Aren't they what comes stock on steez spools and in their Air reels?
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity.

Dalleinf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 755
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:12 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: '19 Steez ct sv tw

Post by Dalleinf » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:40 pm

^go to amazon jp and search for Daiwa SLPW Micro kit. Beautiful green bearings :-)

Aquaftm45
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 602
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:50 pm

Re: '19 Steez ct sv tw

Post by Aquaftm45 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:07 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:32 pm

What are these SLP micro bearings you speak of?
SLP Micro.jpg
SLP Micro.jpg (45.65 KiB) Viewed 382 times
Same difference as the HH Air BFS, both licensed under Daiwa to the best of the knowledge. Micro Stainless Steel Bearings in a small Stainless housing then housed in a plastic outer housing. Both work equally well in terms if inertia. Start easy, stop easy.

IXA (KTF) makes a micro Ceramic Bearing that is entirely in a Stainless Steel housing. Never tried these (yet).

I think there are Chinese knock-offs to both of these.

poisonokie
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1481
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:34 pm
Location: NW OKC OK USA

Re: '19 Steez ct sv tw

Post by poisonokie » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:23 pm

Hmmm... It'd be hard to top a set of HH Air ceramics. Those suckers really sing once you get the oil thinned out of them, OG and HD both.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity.

Aquaftm45
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 602
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:50 pm

Re: '19 Steez ct sv tw

Post by Aquaftm45 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:46 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:39 pm
Aren't they what comes stock on steez spools and in their Air reels?
They don't come stock on a Steez A or a Steez CT SV spool, they both had CRRB's out of the box. Not the best option for a 9 gram spool or light lures in my opinion. It's the same bearing that is in my Morthan and Battler spools. I saw a very noticable difference by swapping out the CRRB bearings in my CT SV. First, with some HH Air's (as you said, hard to beat) then I put some Micro's on the spool and sideplate. To be honest, I didn't notice too much of a difference between the Ceramic Airs and the Micro's, maybe a little more control, but I am casting 3.5 grams plus. I think where you would really see the difference with the micros is on a >7 gram spool casting 1-2 grams. You certainly don't lose anything with Micro's unless your throwing 1oz plus lures and targeting big, big fish. Plastic housings and tiny balls can only take so much stress.

I don't think they come stock on a SS Air or even a Light LTD, not from what I see on HH anyway.

Interesting enough, the SLP Micro's were a limited option on the SLP Project T3 to pair with the 1010 shallow spool upgrade (great spool for 5 grams and up) Learned this from our resident JDM genius..

http://jdmfishing.com/daiwa/t3-1016-slp ... d-edition/

poisonokie
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1481
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:34 pm
Location: NW OKC OK USA

Re: '19 Steez ct sv tw

Post by poisonokie » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:12 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:46 pm
poisonokie wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:39 pm
Aren't they what comes stock on steez spools and in their Air reels?
They don't come stock on a Steez A or a Steez CT SV spool, they both had CRRB's out of the box. Not the best option for a 9 gram spool or light lures in my opinion. It's the same bearing that is in my Morthan and Battler spools. I saw a very noticable difference by swapping out the CRRB bearings in my CT SV. First, with some HH Air's (as you said, hard to beat) then I put some Micro's on the spool and sideplate. To be honest, I didn't notice too much of a difference between the Ceramic Airs and the Micro's, maybe a little more control, but I am casting 3.5 grams plus. I think where you would really see the difference with the micros is on a >7 gram spool casting 1-2 grams. You certainly don't lose anything with Micro's unless your throwing 1oz plus lures and targeting big, big fish. Plastic housings and tiny balls can only take so much stress.

I don't think they come stock on a SS Air or even a Light LTD, not from what I see on HH anyway.

Interesting enough, the SLP Micro's were a limited option on the SLP Project T3 to pair with the 1010 shallow spool upgrade (great spool for 5 grams and up) Learned this from our resident JDM genius..

http://jdmfishing.com/daiwa/t3-1016-slp ... d-edition/
Good info. Could it be that the bearings on say an Alphas ASC are the same, but they're just not labeled as such? I know a lot of Daiwa components seem to be identical to the SLP stuff available in the after market minus the SLP branding. I know that goes for knobs and spools, not sure about these bearings, of course.

By comparing them to HH I was really just musing on what to do if it came down to buying one set or the other as an upgrade. I saw a set of SLP on the auction site for a little over $30, which is about the same price. I've never used the Air BFS bearings, so I don't know how they'd compare to what comes stock in any of the Air reels.

I will say this, bombing a quarter ounce Yo-Zuri crank with my SS SV 103/SV1000 Shallow/HH Air/20# J-Braid Grand/MS-X 65ML setup feels almost supernatural or something. I've had that particular set of spool bearings for years and have oiled them once or twice and they just go like the devil. It's almost like they aren't even there, like the spool runs on witchcraft. Before, I was using it with a nicely burned in set of Air HD's in a Luna 103 and it was just way too wild for lighter baits. Perfect in the SS, though. It will start to get away from you, but it behaves the same way every time, so you quickly learn when to put your thumb down to tame it for that split second before you can let it fly unimpeded. That spool and bearings took that reel from ho-hum to holy $#!+ just like that. It could still use a drag upgrade for more pressure, but right now it's super smooth and considering what I use it for any more pressure would really just be overkill, anyway.

I love the ceramics in both flavors, though. I don't have them in all my reels, but I'm getting there. I threw some in my SV Light and they made a marked improvement to an already killer reel. I see what you mean about them improving casting more toward the low end of the reels capabilities, but to me they do offer a performance gain for heavier stuff as well, in the form of control, as you mentioned, when skipping/pitching/casting for accuracy, and I do think they'll get you a couple of yards on a hail mary bomb cast, too, or at least help prevent a professional overrun or two. I also use them in my Zillion SV 9.1 for frogging and I feel like they help me make super accurate, low trajectory, long distance casts without making too much commotion on splashdown without really trying to hard. High quality bearings just seem to make it easier to let the rod do the work and make casting seem more effortless.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity.

jvelth74
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 158
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:03 am
Location: Finland

Re: '19 Steez ct sv tw

Post by jvelth74 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:13 am

Many replies above that could be quoted, but that would make this reply to long one.

I'm still hoping that there would be weight difference between RCSB spool and standard 70 spool but I haven't got spool yet, so I can't scale it. But I took a bearing apart from ct Alphas spool for taking measurements I also scaled it. It was 1.6 grams. And because of ct Alphas spool weights with bearing 9.4 grams only spool should weight 7.8 grams. Yeah, that is near to information of RCSB spool weight.
weight of ct Alphas spool bearing.JPG
weight of ct Alphas spool bearing.JPG (80.88 KiB) Viewed 255 times
For me most used BFS crankbaits weights also around 3 grams and good casting charasterics on that weight is most important. But there's situations when lighter lures are needed and sometimes it's nice to try cast as light as possible. And moreover to that it's nice to know how light it can be casted. And my opinion is that if very light lures are able to cast then that baitcasting reel and rod almost automatically has very good performance also with a little heavier lures. Small inertia spool is very important in enjoying of BFS fishing.

I my ct Alphas is standard bearings. But after reading what you have writen I also decided to order micro bearings. I would have ordered SLP works from PLAT but those seem strange dimensions. So I ordered from Hedgehoggs 1030 & 830 Air BFS bearings. I'm not sure was these bearings best choise for BFS but should be at least very good choise.

Dalleinf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 755
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:12 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: '19 Steez ct sv tw

Post by Dalleinf » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:29 am

So I got the 19 Millionaire CT SV, which was eagerly awaited.
First impressions in the yard is “meh”. Quite unimposing simple cosmetics by Daiwa standard, which I like to some extent. Square-ish appearence from above/below. Cast control knob is silvery with a cheap-ish look, no clicks. Star drag clicks, fighting drag does not.
Spool is small and weighs in at 9.45 gram on my scale.
I spooled the reel with 10 YGK soleil mono.
Casting with 3.5 gram spoon was unimpressive with regard to distance and control. Some wind may have affected the reels performance. Upping the lure weight to 5 gram spoon helped but I still feel that the reel lacks behind my various Daiwa BfS capable reels eg Daiwa Alphas ASC, Daiwa 34mm spool reels with aftermarket/ZPI spool, also Shimano Conquest/15Alde with KTF, Abu AlcBF7 etc. I mean, the Millionaire is OK, but it does not do better with 3.5-5 gram spoons than previously mentioned reels and in most cases a bit worse - I was probably hoping for too much. Perhaps it will do better with braid. I used my Monoblock Grigio Stone with ZPI NRC001 and same mono line just the other day, and that reel really sang with same 5 gram spoon.
I will have to do a bit more testing including installing some ceramic bearings. Tomorrow, or early next week, my Steez CT SV TW will be here, and I will do a comparison.
I hoped - still hope - that the new CT reels are “it” for my 2-7 gram lure weight trout fishing, but for now other Daiwas eg 34 mm spool reels are just fine for me (with aftermarket spools).
Attachments
90F83B75-F06C-48C9-A9C1-830EC73C5E26.jpeg
90F83B75-F06C-48C9-A9C1-830EC73C5E26.jpeg (63.8 KiB) Viewed 173 times

jvelth74
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 158
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:03 am
Location: Finland

Re: '19 Steez ct sv tw

Post by jvelth74 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:09 am

Today I'm happy because I visited in KTF shop in correct time. There is (or there was?) KTF BFS spools for ct Alphas / ct Millionaire. I managed to pick one to shopping cart and to register to the site. Of course there's needed more email sent to get address to corrected. (Because I'm living in Finland and currently Finland isn't any of Japan Prefectures but registration site was needing prefecture to given.) But I'm confident that we can make things right and I will get KTF spool and Karil will get money from me.

User avatar
MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 330
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 5:05 pm
Location: Finland

Re: '19 Steez ct sv tw

Post by MardukFIN » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:20 am

jvelth74 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:09 am
Today I'm happy because I visited in KTF shop in correct time. There is (or there was?) KTF BFS spools for ct Alphas / ct Millionaire. I managed to pick one to shopping cart and to register to the site. Of course there's needed more email sent to get address to corrected. (Because I'm living in Finland and currently Finland isn't any of Japan Prefectures but registration site was needing prefecture to given.) But I'm confident that we can make things right and I will get KTF spool and Karil will get money from me.
Wow! Purple would be nice 8-)

jvelth74
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 158
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:03 am
Location: Finland

Re: '19 Steez ct sv tw

Post by jvelth74 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:32 am

MardukFIN wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:20 am
Wow! Purple would be nice 8-)
Yeh! I thought same! Purple one is selected! :)

Aquaftm45
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 602
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:50 pm

Re: '19 Steez ct sv tw

Post by Aquaftm45 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:12 am

jvelth74 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:09 am
Today I'm happy because I visited in KTF shop in correct time. There is (or there was?) KTF BFS spools for ct Alphas / ct Millionaire. I managed to pick one to shopping cart and to register to the site. Of course there's needed more email sent to get address to corrected. (Because I'm living in Finland and currently Finland isn't any of Japan Prefectures but registration site was needing prefecture to given.) But I'm confident that we can make things right and I will get KTF spool and Karil will get money from me.
Congrats J!
Looks like everything is available except purple at this moment. Get on it!
The portion where it makes you choose a Prefecture throws everyone off. Just pick whatever and then put your proper address in the comment section. Most people will want to pay by Paypal, but it is not an option when you get to the purchase screen. Just pick Bank Transer and put Paypal in the comment section. Once the order is confirmed you will get a confirmation email, then later a Paypal invoice, the sooner you pay it, the sooner he ships it.

Good luck!

User avatar
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 5540
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:20 pm

Re: '19 Steez ct sv tw

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:44 am

Dalleinf wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:29 am
So I got the 19 Millionaire CT SV, which was eagerly awaited.
First impressions in the yard is “meh”. Quite unimposing simple cosmetics by Daiwa standard, which I like to some extent. Square-ish appearence from above/below. Cast control knob is silvery with a cheap-ish look, no clicks. Star drag clicks, fighting drag does not.
Spool is small and weighs in at 9.45 gram on my scale.
I spooled the reel with 10 YGK soleil mono.
Casting with 3.5 gram spoon was unimpressive with regard to distance and control. Some wind may have affected the reels performance. Upping the lure weight to 5 gram spoon helped but I still feel that the reel lacks behind my various Daiwa BfS capable reels eg Daiwa Alphas ASC, Daiwa 34mm spool reels with aftermarket/ZPI spool, also Shimano Conquest/15Alde with KTF, Abu AlcBF7 etc. I mean, the Millionaire is OK, but it does not do better with 3.5-5 gram spoons than previously mentioned reels and in most cases a bit worse - I was probably hoping for too much. Perhaps it will do better with braid. I used my Monoblock Grigio Stone with ZPI NRC001 and same mono line just the other day, and that reel really sang with same 5 gram spoon.
I will have to do a bit more testing including installing some ceramic bearings. Tomorrow, or early next week, my Steez CT SV TW will be here, and I will do a comparison.
I hoped - still hope - that the new CT reels are “it” for my 2-7 gram lure weight trout fishing, but for now other Daiwas eg 34 mm spool reels are just fine for me (with aftermarket spools).
Perhaps the reel is over braked? Definitely let us know how the Steez 70 compares. Bear in mind, these reels are more of a power finesse reel than a dedicated bfs reel. This reel had so much potential. Daiwa needs to stop just slapping new spools in old platforms. If this reel was machined a bit smaller and had a little higher end appeal, it would have been a winner.

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2134
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:57 pm

Re: '19 Steez ct sv tw

Post by E73Bass » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:02 pm

Little smaller and true finesse is what the SV Light is and ultimate BFS is airstream light country.

This CT SV is the perfect 1/8–1/2 oz... 8-12 lb spool reel.

poisonokie
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1481
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:34 pm
Location: NW OKC OK USA

Re: '19 Steez ct sv tw

Post by poisonokie » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:47 pm

E73Bass wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:02 pm
Little smaller and true finesse is what the SV Light is and ultimate BFS is airstream light country.

This CT SV is the perfect 1/8–1/2 oz... 8-12 lb spool reel.
Right, it's for ML-M rods, a alternative to 33-34mm 105 spooled reels with a predisposition to the lighter side of what you'd typically use those for.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity.

Post Reply