SS Air or 16 Aldebaran BFS

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: SS Air or 16 Aldebaran BFS

Post by Craigthor » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:08 pm

I just ordered the Abu Revo LTX-BF8 to try out, very similar specs to the Aldebaran but a bit cheaper if you want another reel to toss in. Avail also makes a Microcast spool for it if you need another spool option.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:11 pm

Craigthor wrote:I just ordered the Abu Revo LTX-BF8 to try out, very similar specs to the Aldebaran but a bit cheaper if you want another reel to toss in. Avail also makes a Microcast spool for it if you need another spool option.
Always wanted to try the BF8. I tried just about every BFS reel besides the Abu reels.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:11 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Craigthor wrote:I just ordered the Abu Revo LTX-BF8 to try out, very similar specs to the Aldebaran but a bit cheaper if you want another reel to toss in. Avail also makes a Microcast spool for it if you need another spool option.
Always wanted to try the BF8. I tried just about every BFS reel besides the Abu reels.
Got a good discount on one so couldn’t pass it up. Should be here Tuesday or Wednesday from Japan via DHL. I’ll compare it to my ASC’s

abbor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by abbor » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:32 pm

[quote="Hobie-Wan Kenobi"][quote="Edward78"][quote="abbor"]How are the stock 16 Aldebaran BFS spool bearings? Are they good or should I get Hedgehog Kattobi Air BFS?

I have Air and Air BFS in my three Daiwa baitcasters.[/quote]

The BFS bearings are very small, I don't think you will get any added performance[/quote]

They don't make HH BFS bearings fornthe 16 Aldebaran BFS[/quote]

It says the bearings are for 16 Aldebaran BFS XG, but I would be very surprised if they don't fit the 6.5:1 version as well.

[url]https://www.hedgehog-studio.co.jp/product-list/358[/url]

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:19 pm

abbor wrote:
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Edward78 wrote:
abbor wrote:How are the stock 16 Aldebaran BFS spool bearings? Are they good or should I get Hedgehog Kattobi Air BFS?

I have Air and Air BFS in my three Daiwa baitcasters.
The BFS bearings are very small, I don't think you will get any added performance
They don't make HH BFS bearings fornthe 16 Aldebaran BFS

It says the bearings are for 16 Aldebaran BFS XG, but I would be very surprised if they don't fit the 6.5:1 version as well.

https://www.hedgehog-studio.co.jp/product-list/358
The problem is with the Avail spool, the bearing on the spool shaft is a different sizr
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:58 pm

And I ended up getting the ALC BF7. Opted for the saltwater version, so I can use it for inshore fishing. The reel should arrive today (20.000 JPY from Amazon.co.jp. Price did not include DHL express).
I was also considering the SS Air which is about 32.000 on Amazon.

From the same shop I ordered the Smith Be Sticky Trout 5’5”. Just waiting for spring and summer.

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:25 am

Dalleinf wrote:
And I ended up getting the ALC BF7. Opted for the saltwater version, so I can use it for inshore fishing. The reel should arrive today (20.000 JPY from Amazon.co.jp. Price did not include DHL express).

From the same shop I ordered the Smith Be Sticky Trout 5’5”. Just waiting for spring and summer.
Nice, yeah no need for saltwater where I’m at and the clicking drag isn’t something I need. Mine didn’t include shipping either but currently at the DHL here in town not sure if they will deliver today because it’s considered a holiday, turn around was fast. I would have grabbed an SS Air but dislike red.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:35 am

^Not a fan of red either - except on lures.

Abbor, what are you targeting with 1.5-2 gram spinners? Trout or perch?
The Abu Alc bf7 will do 2 gram spinners just fine and better than the Alphas Air.
For 2-3 gram lures (I do not go lower), I like the Alphas Air Stream Custom over the regular Air.
Have not tried SS Air or Ald BFS.

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Edward78 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:22 am

Craigthor wrote:
Dalleinf wrote:

Nice, yeah no need for saltwater where I’m at and the clicking drag isn’t something I need. Mine didn’t include shipping either but currently at the DHL here in town not sure if they will deliver today because it’s considered a holiday, turn around was fast. I would have grabbed an SS Air but dislike red.
I got ALC-BF7 for the clicking drag and price, didn’t mind that it weight a oz more. I have a Aldebaran BFS, Daiwa Alphas Air, SS Air, Alphas Air Stream, Abu older LTX, and out of all those reels I think I like the Aldebaran best. The SS Air and ALC are nice reels for sure but Shimano will outcast then all, especially on the light baits.

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:26 am

Edward78 wrote: I got ALC-BF7 for the clicking drag and price, didn’t mind that it weight a oz more. I have a Aldebaran BFS, Daiwa Alphas Air, SS Air, Alphas Air Stream, Abu older LTX, and out of all those reels I think I like the Aldebaran best. The SS Air and ALC are nice reels for sure but Shimano will outcast then all, especially on the light baits.
Nice, though I don’t need the distance as I’m fishing small trout streams and long casts might be 50’ max and that would be a rarity.

abbor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by abbor » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:36 pm

[quote="Dalleinf"]^Not a fan of red either - except on lures.

Abbor, what are you targeting with 1.5-2 gram spinners? Trout or perch?
The Abu Alc bf7 will do 2 gram spinners just fine and better than the Alphas Air.
For 2-3 gram lures (I do not go lower), I like the Alphas Air Stream Custom over the regular Air.
Have not tried SS Air or Ald BFS.[/quote]

I'm targeting trout (despite my nick). I'm not a big fan of linear magnetic brakes like what Abu is currently using. Abu haven't had good magnetic brakes since Ambassadeur XLT in late 1980s. I do like their hybrid magnetic - sentrifugal brakes like what's used in 6500CS Mag.

Alphas Air Stream Custom has a fixed inductor so this is a linear magnetic brake as well. A linear magnetic brake is direct proportional with the spool speed, it will either give too little brake in the start of the cast, or too much in the late phase of the cast. Sentrifugal brakes are proportional with the square of the spool speed, Daiwa Magforce has an even more advanced brake profile.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:34 pm

Hmmm. Abbor, if the exact braking mechanism is of great import to you, then you should browse other threads here (if you havent already done so).

Some report that the SS air has a moving inductor and others that it doesnt.
http://www.tackletour.net/viewtopic.php ... aiwa+brake

The Daiwa braking systems continues to baffle me at times and probably also others
https://japantackle.com/casting-reels/d ... 00243.html (Maagforce)
http://www.tackletour.net/viewtopic.php?t=74180

I am not a huge fan of SV/air or Magforce braking for very finesse applications where I seem to (?) prefer more linear braking (fixed inductor) as in Air Stream Custom. As does Hiroyuki Motoyama the Godfather of mountain stream baitcasting who “daringly” fixed the inductor in the ASC:
http://www.daiwa.com/jp/fishing/item/re ... index.html (Use google translate)
For finesse fishing with my 34 mm spool size Daiwa reels I prefer the ZPI NRC001-M (fixed inductor) over the various SLP/RCS SV spools and DIY spools (also SV-style) that I own. I also like the Revo Alc-BF7 and Shimano Conquest BFS with its FtB.
Braking systems is one thing, other spool characteristics matter too, material/weight, shallowness, which you naturally know. Still, IMO choice of braking system and braking prefernces may differ for different applications...

abbor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by abbor » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:42 pm

SS Air, T3 Air and Alphas Air all have moving inductors. 16 Aldebaran BFS also has a non linear magnetic braking system.

Linear brake systems are fine for shorter casts, but not when you try to get maximum distance. To get maximum casting lenght the spool always has to be at the limit to overrun, this is not possible to obtain with a linear braking profile.

I've read the Japan Tackle article about breaking characteristics several times over the last 4-5 years. Very interesting reading.

I've discussed spool geometries, braking systems and bearings a lot with Ulf Tingstrom, the man behind UT Reel Technology which developed and sold Ambassadeur tuning parts. Among the load of UT Reel tuned reels I have are a 1500C and a 2500C with shallow tuning spools and linear magnetic brakes, the 2500 spool is even drilled, probably the only drilled prototype they ever made. 3g is the lowest I can comfortably cast with these reels, then I use both magnetic and sentrifugal brakes.

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Edward78 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:46 pm

Dalleinf wrote:Hmmm. Abbor, if the exact braking mechanism is of great import to you, then you should browse other threads here (if you havent already done so).

Some report that the SS air has a moving inductor and others that it doesnt.
http://www.tackletour.net/viewtopic.php ... aiwa+brake

The Daiwa braking systems continues to baffle me at times and probably also others
https://japantackle.com/casting-reels/d ... 00243.html (Maagforce)
http://www.tackletour.net/viewtopic.php?t=74180

I am not a huge fan of SV/air or Magforce braking for very finesse applications where I seem to (?) prefer more linear braking (fixed inductor) as in Air Stream Custom. As does Hiroyuki Motoyama the Godfather of mountain stream baitcasting who “daringly” fixed the inductor in the ASC:
http://www.daiwa.com/jp/fishing/item/re ... index.html (Use google translate)
For finesse fishing with my 34 mm spool size Daiwa reels I prefer the ZPI NRC001-M (fixed inductor) over the various SLP/RCS SV spools and DIY spools (also SV-style) that I own. I also like the Revo Alc-BF7 and Shimano Conquest BFS with its FtB.
Braking systems is one thing, other spool characteristics matter too, material/weight, shallowness, which you naturally know. Still, IMO choice of braking system and braking prefernces may differ for different applications...
I definitely feel different brakes shine in differences situations but the Shimano FTB is the most effective and proforms the best for the most part. I say that but own 7 Bait Finesse made by the BIG 3 so I don’t discriminate.

abbor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by abbor » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:41 pm

I'm looking forward to receiving my 16 Aldebaran BFS. I will probably get it late this week or early next week. But I will only be able to do limited testing now, for fishing I have to wait until the snow and ice melts.