'19 Steez ct sv tw

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
jvelth74
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 170
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:03 am
Location: Finland

Re: '19 Steez ct sv tw

Post by jvelth74 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:33 am

Maybe it was that, I tried to understand how 3D have effect to braking profile.

Yes, 3D moves magnets closer to inductor. And standard Magforce turns magnet rings and it has effect to magnet force. Plus that, moving inductor.

I tried to think / feel is there more changes in magnetic brake force during inductor movement when magnets are close or far. For this I didn’t get any conclusion during fishing day :D Maybe this would be more relevant with Magforce-Z spools than Magforce-sv spools.

But nice to know that 3D can work in chancing winds :)

User avatar
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2010
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:18 am

Re: '19 Steez ct sv tw

Post by LowRange » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:21 am


HobeyBaker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: '19 Steez ct sv tw

Post by HobeyBaker » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:22 am

What are you guys planning on using this reel for? Did I miss what the IPT was for the different gear ratios? I’m thinking about getting one to pair with my MB Destroyer 110.

jvelth74
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 170
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:03 am
Location: Finland

Re: '19 Steez ct sv tw

Post by jvelth74 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:39 am

Yeh, thanks!

But that I tried to understand, and still I’m interested to understand if possible:

In case Magforce 3D=Max brake: difference of inductor out/in

vs.

In case Magforce 3D=Long cast: difference of inductor out/in

Is that difference bigger in Max brake or in Long cast?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

In max brake magnets are closer and therefore magforce should be set to lower setting. Which means weaker magnetic field, which centre is closer to inductor.

In Long cast magnets are set farer and magforce should be set to stronger setting. Which means stronger magnetic field, which centre is farer to inductor.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Wait a minute…Let me guess…Difference between inductor out/in is bigger in case of Max brake?

User avatar
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2010
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:18 am

Re: '19 Steez ct sv tw

Post by LowRange » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:16 pm

Magforce 3D allows you to change the braking profile of the spool by magnet proximity. If you want it to be very free at the end of the cast then set it to long cast. On long cast only when the inductor is extended is any braking occurring. If you want a lot of control at low speed like an SV spool for skipping or night fishing the set it to max brake . The inductor will be within the magnetic rings for longer than on all around or long cast.

faheem96
Angler
Angler
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:59 am

Re: '19 Steez ct sv tw

Post by faheem96 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:03 am

Any idea whether it is has a clicking drag?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator
Posts: 4580
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:56 pm
Location: Oxford GA

Re: '19 Steez ct sv tw

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:13 am

faheem96 wrote:Any idea whether it is has a clicking drag?
Pics of the gear stack were posted earlier in this thread. You should be able to tell from that. I'm too lazy to go back and look lol!
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

User avatar
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 5611
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:20 pm

Re: '19 Steez ct sv tw

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:17 pm

HobeyBaker wrote:What are you guys planning on using this reel for? Did I miss what the IPT was for the different gear ratios? I’m thinking about getting one to pair with my MB Destroyer 110.
6:3, IPT - 59 cm, 150 grams, 80 mm handle. Should I get one, I'll use it for light hardbaits, mostly topwater - 3/16, 1/4 and such.

Pastrmka
Angler
Angler
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:43 pm

Re: '19 Steez ct sv tw

Post by Pastrmka » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:21 pm

faheem96 wrote:Any idea whether it is has a clicking drag?
In one of the daiwa's project T videos it mentions having same main gear from Steez A TW which has clicking drag I believe

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 940
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:12 pm

Re: '19 Steez ct sv tw

Post by Bronzeye » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:25 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote: 6:3, IPT - 59 cm.... Should I get one, I'll use it for light hardbaits, mostly topwater....
With the smaller-diameter spool, the reel will only crank in 23" of line (59 cm.) per handle turn at full spool in the 6.3 ratio. At the end of a long cast, the retrieve speed will be considerably lower. A higher amount of full-spool retrieve speed is lost on the cast with a smaller-diameter spool than is lost with a bigger spool, since it takes more revolutions of the small spool to pay out the same amount of line.

This would have two predictable effects on your topwater fishing. First, if you had the rod tip up when a fish struck, it would take more turns of the reel handle to take up slack for the hookset than it would with a 6.3 ratio reel with a higher spool diameter. Second, if you are used to a certain cranking cadence--say, half a handle turn per twitch--when walking the dog, you would either have to increase the amount of handle rotation per twitch or move the lure less on each twitch.

If your retrieves are mostly tip-down with little slack--say, slow-cranking Jitterbugs, wake baits, and Pompadours, or barely moving poppers--then 6:3 will be fine for working the lure, but slow if you want to hustle it back after it leaves the strike zone.

User avatar
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 5611
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:20 pm

Re: '19 Steez ct sv tw

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:25 pm

Bronzeye wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote: 6:3, IPT - 59 cm.... Should I get one, I'll use it for light hardbaits, mostly topwater....
With the smaller-diameter spool, the reel will only crank in 23" of line (59 cm.) per handle turn at full spool in the 6.3 ratio. At the end of a long cast, the retrieve speed will be considerably lower. A higher amount of full-spool retrieve speed is lost on the cast with a smaller-diameter spool than is lost with a bigger spool, since it takes more revolutions of the small spool to pay out the same amount of line.

This would have two predictable effects on your topwater fishing. First, if you had the rod tip up when a fish struck, it would take more turns of the reel handle to take up slack for the hookset than it would with a 6.3 ratio reel with a higher spool diameter. Second, if you are used to a certain cranking cadence--say, half a handle turn per twitch--when walking the dog, you would either have to increase the amount of handle rotation per twitch or move the lure less on each twitch.

If your retrieves are mostly tip-down with little slack--say, slow-cranking Jitterbugs, wake baits, and Pompadours, or barely moving poppers--then 6:3 will be fine for working the lure, but slow if you want to hustle it back after it leaves the strike zone.
All good bud. I'm far from convinced I'm going to get one anyways lol. Gotta be a few guinea pigs 1st

User avatar
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 5611
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:20 pm

Re: '19 Steez ct sv tw

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:12 am

There is also an XH / XHL model available. Matching SLP spool as well

HobeyBaker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: '19 Steez ct sv tw

Post by HobeyBaker » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:55 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:There is also an XH / XHL model available. Matching SLP spool as well
The XH would be a 29.9 IPT with a full spool. Pretty comparable to a full size reel in a 7 gear ratio (Metanium MGL 7.4 is 29 IPT with full spool). I'm leaning towards picking one up for jerk bait fishing. It would be fairly slow when the bait is away from the boat.

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 320
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:28 am

Re: '19 Steez ct sv tw

Post by Sore Thumb » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:12 am

Japan Tackle has the Alphas and Steez models up for preorder.

bassinbrian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 128
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:40 pm

Re: '19 Steez ct sv tw

Post by bassinbrian » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:58 am

Sore Thumb wrote:Japan Tackle has the Alphas and Steez models up for preorder.
I've never preordered from them before, any bad experiences? Otherwise they've been great to work with but just wanted to make sure before taking the plunge. I see the 8.1 are still not available for preorder.

Post Reply